Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
I have done this a few times. The roads in my opinion are very good, especially in Spain, long straight stretches of dual carriageway. There can be snow in the north of Spain at that time of year and it can be quite tricky.
Friends of mine do this and are doing so again in January. They make an overnight stop in the north of Spain somewhere to give themselves a clear day to tackle the rest of Spain and Portugal. After the first time they said they hadn't appreciated that Portugal was such a long, thin, country!

Doing that means if there is any nasty weather about (and yes it can be very nasty up north) you will be dealing with it in daylight and should fetch up in Tavira around 5pm.
Thanks brodev and cubsur, will be staying in Bordeaux then Salamanca for one night each so the journey will not be too teadious. DJW
I am doing this journey next July/Aug, we are traveling from Yorkshire staying in Rouen (France) Bordeaux (France) then into Spain (Salamanca) and Seville, on the way back travelling up through Portugal.

Let me know how you get on, Mark.

P.s The ibis hotels seem very reasonable in both France and Spain and they do early morning breakfasts from 6am in case you want to set off early! prices seem to be around 30 odd euros per night depending on where you stay.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.