Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Most Islands seem to have a main road going around the island with little country lanes off. They are usually only really busy around the main towns.....though saying that, we have not been later than June, so it's relatively quiet anyway. The thing you really need is a head for heights, there are a lot of steep drops with broken barriers...if they have barriers! OH did all the driving and I got to see all the beautiful views, while gripping on hard and with my foot on an imaginary brake pedal. He didn't much like Corfu but then again he had to keep his eyes glued to the road so didn't see the stunning scenery.

Have fun!
Pinocchio

I have hired cars in Corfu for 18years and driven all over the island. In all those times I don't recall a single experience when my wife (the passenger) was obviously nervous about any off-road drops. In my opinion the description of driving there given by Tosca100 is rather exaggerated so don't let it put you off.
You don't say which Agios Stefanos so I can't recommend routes but if it is the north-west one near Arillas you have huge scope for some lovely drives through great scenery in safety. I know a few spectacular 'viewing places' and all have barriers.
The web-site http://www.agiosgeorgios.info has some suggestions for car trips near Agios Stefanos and if you email me from that web-site I can describe some more.

Obviously the tight bends of the twisty and often pot-holed country lanes call for much slower driving than you are used to in UK.
I suggest you hire a small car with an engine of about 1100 or 1200c.c (not less) which gives you necessary power on the sudden hills but is easy to park or pull over when meeting other vehicles. Many of these narrow lanes in the hills and valleys do have unprotected edges such as in the olive groves where the car could leave the road down a bank if you are careless, drunk or not concentrating. But if you can stay on the road in UK you should be able to stay on the road in Corfu! You don't need to crawl along but do slow down before blind corners and move out well onto your side of the road. If the scenery is particular good then pull over and stop. My wife and I are senior citizens but love driving in Corfu apart from the towns and the few busy main roads. A hire car will add another dimension to your holiday and enable you to see the 'real Corfu'.

Enjoy!!
Hi

Interesting post on driving in Corfu, which road map would you recommend and where could I get one,

Ed
Any of the local shops. They are quite easy to follow as there is not a lot on them, compared to home. All the beaches are marked too.
Thanks very much for that info. Yes it is the one near to Arillas and although we went there twice last year we didn't hire a car but would really like to visit some of the villages etc. Think we will take the plunge this time.
Edwin

Corfu maps are notoriously poor. Some have roads missing, some have road junctions in wrong places and others have both.
Cars stationary at junctions with the occupants studying a map with puzzled looks are common sights.
When we offer to help we can see why. They are not where they think they are which is not surprising when the road they are leaving is not on their map at all !!

Now we have settled on a map produced by 'tc travel maps' called 'Korfu Corfu' .
It is in a bright red cover and the scale is 1:80000. It is not perfect but is reasonably clear and the relief is shown by colour shadings and contours.

The current one we use cost 5.50 euros in Corfu but I am sure I have seen it on sale at UK airports so look out for it in its obvious bright red cover. It is distributed by the Hellenic Distribution Agency. Their web-site does not offer it for sale on-line but you could email them:
http://www.hellenicmags.com/contact.cfm
Hello Pinocchio, we have hired a car twice in Corfu, we were staying in St. Georges South and travelled virtually right round the island including driving thru Corfu town. As others have said just take your time, let the locals pass when it is safe to do and allways park on the right hand side of the road, this way you will not be tempted to drive off on the left hand side as if you were back home. Th only real problem we had was at the first roundabout we came to, trying to work out who had right of way at the same time as remembering to stay on the right side of the road :rofl . But it is very easy and you will see a lot more of the Island than most people.

Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.