Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
It is almost impossible to drive legally in Spain.

You are correct about sandals, but you also cannot drive in flip-flops or barefoot.

Among the most obscure laws are that you can also be fined for having anything on the rear seats which might roll off and under the pedals. You can be fined for not having a spare pair of glasses if you need them for driving. You have to carry 2 warning triangles and enough florescent jackets for the driver and all passengers. You must keep your windows clean at all times.etc.

Basically, if the Guardia Civil want to fine you, they will find something that you have done wrong.

If stopped, the best advice would be to keep calm and not antagonise them. Speaking the language, or at least attempting to, also helps a great deal.
The same laws about shoes exist in Germany.
The problem isn't with the Gauardia civil it's with the Spanish highway code. Just about everything in it is contradicted with the with proviso "if it's safe to do so". Therefore you can only ever overtake on the left,hand side (unless the road is clear and it would be safe to pass on the right hand side). Also, you must never park within 15 meters of a junction or pedestrian crossing ( but it only counts if it hinders vision) - where I live the council have marked parking bays right on top of zebra crossings and on blind corners aswell. You could even argue against a drink drive penalty because the law states that your driving should be impaired (this defence has been successfuly used in Galicia this year!!)
Someone who lives in Spain warned me about driving extra carefully around May-July time. This is apparently when the police are keen to generate fines as they get a cut of them and therefore increase their summer holiday spending money.

Remember to always indicate, never flash anyone (even if you know them) and never park on yellow (or faded) yellow lines.

Chris
Someone who lives in Spain warned me about driving extra carefully around May-July time. This is apparently when the police are keen to generate fines as they get a cut of them and therefore increase their summer holiday spending money.

I suggest that if you are stopped by the Guardia Civil between May and July, that you offer them double their cut if they forget all about the fine.

Let us know how you get on.
sue123 wrote:
driving in backless sandals

Official Spanish guide to learning to drive clearly says that people must wear adequate footwear while driving.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.