France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
Exit and entry ramps are very similar to those over here although sometimes they turn off rather sharpish and you really do need to obey the speed signs if you want to stay on the road. However if you are on the Peage (toll) bit then all the off and on ramps tend to be routed towards one set of toll booths. This may be on the opposite side of the motorway to the one you want. Once through those you then have to turn to the direction you want. Signage is usually pretty good though. You can then cross over the motorway on the normal road. I doubt you would be taken more than 400 metres out of your way though.
Hi de hi thanks for that from memory I think I now know where I went wrong previously (2004) my wife stills sees the funny side of it :que

Will keep an eye out for those sharp exit ramps.
You might consider printing out your journey using http://www.viamichelin.fr and taking note of the junction number you want to use to leave the motorway ..........
Thanks Alsacienne, I know the junction number, it's just that I got caught out previously at a junction, and my main query was in regards to exit and entry ramps, i.e. are they sometimes only available to one side of the road so that you need to pass your intended destination, travel further down the road to turn at the next available exit (which normally has a toll booth) and return back up the same road. e.g. if travelling east from Nice you can't exit so have to travel further east to next exit then turn round and travel west towards Nice to get off at the correct exit.

Hope this makes sense

I have looked at the junction on google earth and mappy and can only see one exit, but Hi De HI has shed some light on this
Oh dear, back from holidays, but on the plus side travelled along the A8 no problem, was a very good route to use and had no major problems. Mangaed to get from Nice airport to Frejus, to Cannes, St Tropez, etc and back to the airport directly, only time I got lost was in the towns.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.