Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi,
The problem with Langkawi is that most of the Hotels are very isolated,The Pelangi Beach Resort is one that isn't.There are a good mix of resturants within walking distance,Chinese,Indian,Malay.5 Mins by taxi is Bon Ton a very small hotel consisting of trad Malay houses,it has a very good restuarant but is dearer than the norm.A word of warning don't go if you don't like cats,its a cat rescue sanctuary & theres lots about.If you complain to Narelle the fiesty Aussie that owns it the cats won't be leaving you will.!!
The Lighthouse has lots of admirers but we were dissappointed last year with the service & food.For steaks & pasta The Sun Cafe isn't bad.The Thai Barn has a good reputation & they will pick you up from your hotel,haven't been so going on other people.
With Langkawi being a duty free island food & drink are cheaper than in Penang.
thanks shiftcontrol, the pelangi beach is the hotel I have been looking at any more info on the hotel, beach etc????
thanks again.
We quite enjoyed the Kelong restaurant that lies off shore from the Berjaya...a short boat ride gets you there.

The Barn Thai is set in a mangrove and you get to it via a walkway...preferred it during the day rather than the evening.

As Shiftcontrol says many of the hotels are in remote settings car hire is quite useful to get to some of the restaurants. The roads are good and they drive one the same side of the road as us Brits. We were based at the Sheraton Perdana which is near the main town Kuah, there are local restaurants here, good food but the restaurants in many cases are very basic but then you would be eating the real thing and not tourist food.
The Sheraton and Pelangi have been added to our review site here. Now they just need their first reviews! Can anyone help please?
Hi shirleyV
The Pelangi Beach Resort consists of single & 2 storey wooden buildings set in lovely gardens.We always have a sea view bungalow.They all have individual A/C,ceiling fan & immersion heaters so no shortage of hot water.The sea view ones have an ante room with wardrobe/fridge & storage space.The only problem with the 2 storey ones is that given the wooden floors & our luck we'd get clog wearing tap dancers above us,so we opt for the bungalows.
The beach is fine sand & the sea is clean,although most folks seem to to gather round the pool area.
Breakfasts are buffet style,either American or Continental. You only get beef or turkey bacon & chicken sausages because its a Muslim Country.We don't eat in the hotel in the evening so can't comment on the food,although last year we tried the barbeque which was very good with freeflow wine.Not so good for the next day!!!
The grounds are large so you have plenty of space,no sardine can sunbeds.
The downside is that if you want a lively holiday don't go to Langkawi,its quiet & relaxing.
Car hire is cheap,the hotel has some Kia 4x4's (yes I know) for hire.The roads are very quiet,the people are friendly.You can get round the Island easily in a day without breaking your neck.
If I can help further please ask.
I've also stayed at the Sheraton Perdana and we ate out in Kuah Town a few times. There are some good seafood restaurants and the hawker stalls are good for cheap and tasty food. We also splashed out one night and had a great meal at the Royal Yacht Club, which is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

Based on our stay, I would definitely recommend this hotel, but it was nearly 4 years ago, so any review would be well out of date.
Just returned from the Langkawi having stayed for the 2nd time at the Sheraton Perdana. They are refurbing the resort from Feb until Nov and it will be totally different much bigger but probably better it will become a Westin. We stayed for 10 nights and only eat in the hotel for 3. One being New Years Eve. The hawker restaurants in Kuah and very good and very cheap.

We were really disappointed with the Bon Ton we went for my Birthday and it was very expensive and one of the worst meals we have eat in the Far East, very over rated.

There are plenty of places to eat outside of the hotel.
Thankyou so much for the info everyone.
Do you still fancy going to Langkawi Shirley? We have looked at it before and I did wonder if I might get a little bored. Hearing Jackie say that she has been before has made me think again as I know Jackie likes to be quite active!
Biggest let down at the Perdana though is the beach - the water is a nice shade of muddy brown. Having said that the hotel is in large grounds with plenty of room to relax and swimming pools a plenty. Lots of monkeys around the back as well.

I have to admit when I first got to Langkawi I thought I would be bored, however I soon chilled out to the pace of life on the island. driving around you can easily find yourself in a kampong (village) and experience a bit of the true Malaysia.
In reply to Jackie Dearing. It proves the old adage don't recommend restuarants. We went to Bon Ton twice last year & had 2 excellent meals,but they all have their bad nights.
In reply to Fiona, yes I do still like the sound of Langkawi, but like yourself think it may be a tad too quiet, alternatively I am considering Krabi in Thailand , we have been before at Xmas and it is great, hard decision to make, how about yourself???
what are your holiday plans for 2006 - I know you are off to HK, Saigon then BKK in april, do you have any plans for the summer??
yes I do - but not the Far East! (Antigua). I think if I went to Langkawi I would combine it with KL- haven't been there yet.
Spent 3 day's in Langkawi last April and have to say that was enough for me a little too quiet, you can see nearly all the Island in one day, was cheaper for eat's and drink's than in Penang as it is a duty free place.Alot less low key than Sanur Fiona.
Brought back for Pete and Rick!
If stopping in Pentai Cenang area, can recommend the Lighthouse (fantastic when getting towards sunset) and there is a very nice place where the Paddy Field (opposite Casa hotel I think) is.
Sheraton Beach resort has an excellent Indian called Spice Traders and a taxi from Pentai will not be to costly.
Hi
We stayed at Langkawi for a week and we loved it! If you stay on Pantai Cenang you should not get bored. There are shops and restaurants near by. Some of the shops were open until late (I think we walk there at 9PM and they were still open)

If you want to try a good place to eat I will suggest 3 restaurants which we enjoyed:
1 - Orkid Restaurant (Cenang beach next to Langkawi taylor)
nice restaurant, fast service, good food, good prices... all in all - very nice experience. That's why we went there twice for dinner.
The first night we had lobster, lemon chicken, fried rice and drinks. All came to RM 86.50.
Few night later we were not very hungry but we just loved their lemon chicken and the rice so we had just that with garlick brocolli and drinks (I especially liked their lime juice). And the total bill was RM 32.00. You can't complain about that, can you :-))))

They are open 11am-3pm and 6pm-11pm

2 - Sun Cafe on Tenang Beach, where the Sunmall is (few shops and restaurants)

We stopped here for lunch one afternoon. This restaurant is very clean. The food was excellent - very nice presentation. Their ribbon pancake was very nice and looked lovely!
The whole bill came to RM 74.80 including 10% service charge. We had chicken with cheese and ham, chicken chops with sweet sauce, 2 drinks, 1 coctail, and 2 desserts. We thought that is was excellent value.
Check their toilettes, they are VERY nice.

3 - [b]Rasa Restaurant [/b

Very good food and service. They do mostly Malaysian food. It is very clean restaurant on the main road on Cenang Beach - opposite Langkawi Taylor.
We had two dinners there -
First was Oyster Chicken, Chicken with Plum sauce, Pinapple rice, drinks and desserts. It all came to RM 54.
The second time we had Large Oyster Chicken (RM22)(we loved it, it is sweet sauce with chicken and fruit), sweet and sour chicken, again pinapple rice and drinks and it came to RM 63.
I would definitely recommend this restaurant. We don't like spicy food, so we always told them not to put too many spicies in it.

I hope that you'll enjoy your stay in Langkawi as much as we did.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.