Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
We had to pay the long haul APD too.

Some people say if the flight is scheduled for 5hrs or more, then it is classed as LH
Other people say it's because the crew can't complete the return flight without going over their allowed flight time without a break.

I tend to go with the 5hr flight bit.
thanks Ev. looks like i will have to cough up then :( .

I did have an email from XL but looks like i deleted it . was yours XL too
Bad luck Lyn :cry: I'm now wondering if I've got the correct travel insurance. I think you need different from short haul to long haul.
I recall chatting with a stewardess some years ago on a BA flight- she told me Cairo was the shortest long haul flight they do.
I think you need different from short haul to long haul.

Not necessarily. It's normally done on whether it's Domestic, Europe or Worldwide. We only have European insurance, but it states that it also includes countries bordering the Mediterranean, which includes Egypt.
yes our insurance with insure and go covers Egypt as Europe but i know some are different . when i got a quote from M+S they didnt cover Egypt under Europe. so I think its best to check chris.

lyn
Regarding the costs, I believe the lower amount is only for countries within the EU (including the UK), see the BBC links on page 8 of the APD thread on the flight only / airline airports forum.

As for insurance, most companies class egypt as europe as it has a Med coastline, but worthwhile checking.
i always thought long haul was 6 hours or more. thats what most holiday brochures say anyway.
Hi :wave

First Choice use their upgraded planes on long haul routes but when we asked to upgrade to star class premium we were told that by them that Egypt is a short haul destination and that upgrade wasn't available.

Seems to me that companies are needing to clarify what the official classification of a LH route is.

Graham :shrug
The escape tax has two rates one for flights within Europe and and the higher rate for flights outside Europe
hmmmm .maybe i will check the appropriate govenment dept tomorrow to clarify if Egypt comes under their £40 long haul or £10 Europe rate. seems to be some confusion.

lyn

cant seem to find anything that actually clearly states the countries covered by the cheaper rate :?
Lyn

Ive just checked my panorama/mytravel invoice for my Egypt trip in April.
We have definately been charged 4 @ 40 pounds.

In the cost breakdown it was called ADP (NON-EU).

So I guess that answers it. :roll:
My travel insurance class Sharm as Europe but other resorts in Egypt as worldwide!
thanks everyone and thanks for checking that for me Chris. Looks like we are long haul then. never mind , another £100 easy come ,easy go :( :(

lyn
My travel insurance class Sharm as Europe but other resorts in Egypt as worldwide!

And where does "His Tonyness" as Clarkson calls him, go on holiday then ???? :wink: :wink: :wink:

That would be about right! :x
Never thought about that!.He was there when we were in Sharm and even the local drivers were complaining about the detours they had to make due to extra security!
My insurer classes Sharm as europe and therefore shorthaul :?
Don't matter what the insurers say - after talking to Tony (who's been there you know ) Gordon Brown reckons,
"It's Africa. So that's £40 please..."
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.