Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
We've only been to Sharm and Nuweiba . Nuweiba was very peaceful . The sea didnt move and it was more the Red sea in it's natural state. I suspect as it's close to Taba it would be much the same .

We still prefer Sharm but I didnt like staying in NB . It seemed (where we were staying at least) More hemmed in and the condition of beach and sea nowhere near as beautiful as further along the coast there due to the hundreds of dive boats churning out their fumes . We are not bothered about visiting bar's and restaurants and are happy with an early night ready for an early morning (best time of the day in Egypt).
whilst it's still very peaceful further along there is more of a buzz during the day and down on the hotel jetty's than there is in the more remote resorts. I like to people watch and enjoy a bit of atmosphere around the pool.
I've been to several resorts in Egypt, and spent some time in Cairo, but have to say I think Luxor is the most amazing resort. The amount of ancient history around is incredible. Luxor Temple, Karnak Temple, and the Valley of the Kings are stunning. (though temperatures there have to be similar to those on planet Mercury I reckon!)

Luxor town is really interesting to wander around and once you have learnt to use the magic phrase "la shokran" (no thanks) loudly at folk who hassle you, it gets more peaceful.

Unlike most folk who use a boat to go down the Nile, Luxor to Aswan - I did it on a train. And it really is good - like real trains were in the distant past. Individual private compartments, and an elegantly dressed steward comes to provide you meals and drinks. And super views of the Nile all the way.

Luxor very definitely is NOT Sharm el Sheik.
If you want to see Egypt, and not something trying to be Benidorm or Blackpool, this has to be the place.
Luxor very definitely is NOT Sharm el Sheik.

Your are correct there, and all the better for it, Luxor is my favourite destination, OK there is no sea to go diving in, mind you there are no sharks either ;)

We always stay at the Sofitel Karnak which is lovely oasis of calm after a day out and about in luxor.
I liked Hurghada much better than Sharm as there didnt seem to be as much hassle.
The coral wasnt as near to the shore but as I cant swim it wasnt a problem for me. :sun2
Even the Russians we met were lovely and friendly. :rofl
Luxor wins hands down for us every time, closely followed by Aswan.

We love Luxor for the variety of things to do and you can choose to make it as active or as relaxing as you want. Once you get inside the confines of your hotel, sipping a long cool drink by the pool you can forget about the humdrum life outside that is Luxor.

We love it for its' quirky ways and friendly people and most certainly your funds go a long way in Egypt.

Aswan for us is more of a relaxing holiday. We can relax by the pool or wander down the main shopping street (done up over recent years) and generally just chill. Most of the restaurants are along the corniche so you don't have to wander too far for an evening meal.

We did visit Hurghada for an overnight stay and snorkelling a long time ago and although it was lovely, it didn't really "do it" for us. But it all depends on your reason for going to Egypt. If you want to swim in clear blue sea and dive etc then I suppose it floats your boat.

For us, now living in Cyprus for the last 7yrs - we can head off to Ayia Napa or Protaras for some great beaches or to the North so we prefer to spend holidays in Egypt taking in the antiquities which doesn't really apply to Hurghada and Sharm as they're man made resorts.

Cairo just fascinates us as it's a city that just doesn't stop moving - no matter what the time of day is. We've travelled the route from Luxor to Cairo and back by train several times over the years since the early 1990's and it will never cease to amaze us.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
I quite like Luxor for the history and the River Nile, there's plenty of places to explore. I wasn't impressed with Sharm but Hurghada was ok. It's the diving I was there for though so didn't spend all that much time in the resorts, I was on a boat most of the time!

Darren
well most people will say sharm but to be honest the whole of egypt. as for the people , the culture , its history and its affordability what else is there to say.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.