Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
We stayed at the Three Corners Ocean View which is right by Abu Tig Marina. We loved it there mainly due to the location. We did have a look around the Sheraton & the Movenpick both looked superb with great facilities & it's a tough decision. Never walked from the Marina to Downtown, always used the water taxi, tok tok or bus but I'd imagine that depending on how quickly you walk, you're looking at maybe 30 mins? Personally, I'd rather stay near the marina as it has some lovely restaurants but both area's have advantages. The Sheraton is nearer the Marina & Movenpick nearer downtown.
Thanks for the reply. I need to look at a map to get my bearings. Are there lots of restaurants at the Marina? Enough to keep you going for 2 weeks? How long would it take to walk there. Do you reccommend getting a taxi or tok tok into downtown at all? I must do some more research. At the moment we are favouring the Sheraton which seems like the better area.
We stayed at the Sheraton August 06, loved it. Got the little bus or atok tok each night to either the Old Town or Marina only took a few minutes. We only stayed B & B, the breakfasts were lovely. It was quite quiet down on the `beach` area which stretches on a couple of sides of the hotel and they have the curved windbreakers (if you know what I mean) so you were quite private, sunbeds wern`t on top of each other.
We would go back.
Thanks for that information. I presume then that the madness and haggling for the tok toks is not the same as the taxi's in Sharm?

Did you find there were problems with people putting their towels out early in the morning to reserve sunbeds then not coming back for hours. I really hate that as you feel under pressure to get up and do it yourself if you want to sit in a particular place. We mush prefere a relaxed morning. This hotel is much larger than ones we usually stay in - max in the past has been 280 rooms so I think we may find things a bit different.

Could I also ask, if thats OK, if the dress code in the evenings is casual and can you come back from an evening meal and sit outside somewhere and have an end of the day drink? We love to finish our day outside with a night cap? Sorry for all the questions and thanks again.
Hi,
The tok toks are a set price only about £1 - £1.50 if I recall correctly. You buy a weekly bus ticket from the hotel it works out about £1 each and lasts 7 days.

We were there in August and didn`t notice too much reserving of sunbeds (the pool boys didn`t play this game either! )

We would go out in the evening in casual, hubby would wear nice shorts etc I wore skirt or linen trousers and vest type top. There are bars, but can`t comment as our daughter was 9 then and normally when we got back to the hotel she was worn out from all the swimming!!

The hotel is built on little islands over a lagoon and at night is looks wonderful when it is all lit up.
Thanks again for the quick reply. I am glad that there is no reserving sun beds. I am really keen on this for next year. I have just to persuade my hubby, he still has a few reservations about safety in Egypt, ones I did have until all the info on El Gouna. I will speak to him tonight. I am making up a little dossier of all the replies with a hope to wing it :tup I have got some prices already from Thomas Cook and Tompsons. (hopefully not being premature here) For 4 July 2009, an upgraded room with sea view in B&B basis they are quoting £1599 for 2. Does this seem a good price? This is flying with Thomas Cook.
Trish, never had to haggle for anything when we there in February. In fact, I enquired about the price of a bracelet in a jewellers & when I told the shop owner that I didn't intend paying so much, he just replaced it back in the display cabinet & sat back down again. My husband did ask for a discount though when he was buying a couple of t shirts & they offered him something like £1, he tried to get more off them by offering to buy more but they were having none of it. No haggling for taxi fairs or tok toks either. A travel pass for a week will set you back £1.50 & includes buses & water taxi's. There a quite a few restaurants around the marina & several downtown but as we were AI we only tried Chez Pascall on the dine around option. As i've already said, never felt safer abroad.
Thanks so much, I am going to show him this post. I have given hime the reviews of the Sheraton to read, not one negative report, and he didn't say No. Fingers crossed, I really want to go to Egypt next year. I will have to use my womanly wiles on him.
Hi Trish... only just realised you've a post in the Egypt forum too!!.. as i said in my reply in your other post my parents have just gone back to El Gouna and are staying at the 3 Corners, i researched for them and El Gouna has it's own website !! elgouna.com
it has maps of the resort showing where everything is etc.. all hotels are shown and there's info about the 'dine around' options where some of the hotels allow you to swap all inclusive meals...

elgouna.com/mapmaster.html is the direct link to the map
Thanks for repying here too. Once I had made up my mind about Egypt I thought it was best to put my questions here. Still to persuade the hubby but I think he is coming around ;)
We prefer staying downtown... much more life there, the marina area is VERY quiet apart from party night [Friday]. The first time we visited it was party night and loved the atmosphere. We then went a few days later to eat and found it like a ghost town and a real let down of us.

Getting about is no problem. I believe there is now new tuk tuks, £1 for two and also a new bus [brighly coloured and not open like the other ones, so hair not ending up like a birds nest after a journey!!!!!] These are running aside the old services. Also sea taxis. Taxis are very cheap, and you dont have to haggle, dont know current price.

We cant wait to return, staying a bit further out this year, Steigenberger, great hotel and amenities and know that transport is no probs, bus runs every 15 minutes during day and evening for just over £1 pw, and only minutes away from downtown, and a bit more to the marina. Best deal we have had in a long time

Whatever you choose you wont be disappointed!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.