EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Actually, Mexico has stricter immigration laws than the US, funnily enough. And there lies the double standard... their government actively encourages their citizens to illegally enter the US but throws a fit if somebody dares enter Mexico illegally. It's a strange world.

There are lots of ways for a UK citizen to be eligible to become a US resident. However, the majority of those ways require you to be related in some way to a US resident, preferably an immediate relative or a fiance. It's also possible through employment but that's not something the average person is likely to have available to them. Another possibility is if you own a business in the US. I think it's then possible to obtain a visa of some sort but I don't remember the details. And finally we have the green card lottery. As you say (and as the name obviously implies) it is a lottey and I think they only grant around 20,000 green cards a year through this method (versus millions of applications). Still, it might be worth a shot.

If immigration favored nationals from one country over another (you suggested UK citizens should get preferential treatment because the UK is an ally of the US), that would hardly be fair on citizens from other countries. I used to think like you do, especially when I was waiting for my green card... I would think it wasn't fair for it to take so long, I mean it's not like I was a terrorist or in any way suspicious and coming from the UK should be quicker than from most other countries. But you have to wait in line with everyone else and, with hindsight, I do think that's the fairest system. Which is why I am very much against illegal immigration... how dare people jump the line and then expect benefits and not pay taxes etc. Still, I suppose I can't blame people for trying to get here... but I can blame the government for not keeping them out!
Hi GEB

I was not aware of the Mexican policy on emigration, one learns something new everyday.

We do not qualify under the "Normal" categories for emigration, i.e family, relative, international employer, etc, etc, so it seems we are pretty much stuck here in the UK.

I'm not sure what the real answer is in allowing citizens to emigrate to the US, I just find it very frustrating.

You have a very similar problem over there as we have over here, in allowing x amount of people into a country, to use and abuse it's facilities without having any intention of contributing.

If anyone reading this has any experience or advice re emigration to the US please don't hesitate to post, or contact me via pm.

Driver02
We are actively planning migration to the USA; however we are luckier than most in that SWMBO's sister married an American, lives there ( and, in fact, as of tomorrow, swears the Oath of Allegiance to become an Amercian citizen)

They have said that they will gladly sponsor us; they have to sign a legally binding agreement confirming that, in the classic worst-case scenario, they will be able to support us at 130% of the official poverty line ( which is actually quite low)
Congratulations and may I say how lucky you are SP, I trust all goes well for you.

What part of the US are you emigrating to?

Driver02
Lovely news.

Good luck!!

Kath HT Admin
Oh yeah, I remember the 130% thing. I'm surprised it hasn't changed, although it's only been about 4 years for me so perhaps not so surprising.

Permanent resident seekers are put into 4 categories. The category you are in will largely determine the length of time it takes to get a green card. Immediate family (spouse, parents) are in category 2. Category 1 is for asylum seekers and those in immediate, urgent need of residency. I'm not sure which category a sibling would put you in but I would think it's also category 2. However, you might be in a different category to your husband... I'm not sure. It's his immediate family but not yours. I don't know how that works and would be interested to find out, so perhaps you can tell us (if you found out already)?

It took about 18 months to get my green card, though I had a work visa in the meantime (you can apply to 1 year employment visa in the interim and in most cases it will be given).

I don't know if I will become a US citizen. I guess I'd like the option to return to Britain should the need ever arise. I'm sure I could probably do so anyway - after all, my family are all in the UK - but it might be trickier. Also, being a permanent resident has all the advantages of being citizen except that you can't vote. I think that's about the only restriction. But even better, you can't be drafted either (at least, not by the US)... some food for thought in this day and age!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.