Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
Hi Claire ... I appreciate that you are looking for independent feedback from members, but just in case it's of any interest, more info on this evening's BBC feature can be found HERE and the Europa Park website can be found HERE.

David :wave
thanks, but yes looking for some more than just staying at Europa Park. The Black Forest looks fantastic, and while there would want to explore more than just the theme park. Therefore, maybe a hotel close to the park for a couple of nights, and move to another to explore the area..the castles etc for another couple of nights?
http://www.europa-park.com
They have hotels and camping sites.
I live fairly close to Europa Park and seem to go at least twice every year with visitors. It is truly amazing, and I find it better than Alton Towers, EuroDisney and Chessington, all of which I have visited.

Firstly the grounds are beautifully landscaped and it is easy to find a quiet sit down when needed! The attractions are set out in themed 'countries' - sadly the English bit is the least attractive - and contain a mixture of white knuckle rides and gentler rides for the little ones. There are also shows - I would strongly recommend the ICE SHOW - and strolling entertainers like a magician, stiltwalkers and of course Euro Maus (mouse) who is the mascot of the park. You can get from one end to the other by monorail or train. Loos are plentiful and clean. Food is of good quality but can be very pricey and drinks seem to take a lot of your cash!!

I think you will really enjoy yourselves - entry price this season is 27€.

Car parking is now well regulated (it used to be a horror story to get out!) but you now pay a fee (think it is 3€) on LEAVING.

Accommodation - the park has two themed hotels - one Spanish the other Italian, but there are plenty of opportunities in the local town RUST. Try looking up http://www.rust.de . The park is well served by motorway (the A5) and you could stay in France - Strasbourg/Colmar area - or in Germany - Freiburg/Baden Baden/Karlsruhe - and commute easily.

Definitely worth a day's visit or there are special 2 day passes at reduced prices. The Europa Park website http://www.europapark.de has an English version too.
Anyone got advice on flights, is it best to fly to Stutgart?

thanks
Ryanair fly into Karlsruhe-Baden
easyjet and swiss fly to Basel/Mulhouse/Freiburg Euroairport (not a catchy name but very convenient).

you can now stay virtually anywhere in the Black Forest region in a triangle with Offenburg at the top and the Swiss Border as the bottom line and get FREE* use of public transport including to Europark.

* OK it's not entirely free - you pay around 30 cents a day towards it through the local tourist tax whether you use it or not.

Details have been posted seperately in the Germany forum
I was looking to do the 2 nd May Bank Holiday 08, and stay at the Colossus. Which german air port is nearer to the park ? I can fly out both Luton or Stansted. It looks like a great weekend away. :lol:
Stansted to Karlsruhe/Baden with Ryanair; Basel from Luton and Stansted with Easyjet; but you'll need to hire a car to get from the airport to the Park. If you hire from Basel use the FRENCH side - ie Hertz/Sixt/Budget FRANCE, it's cheaper. From Karlsruhe it's quicker by at least an hour. Note that taxis are NOT an option unless you won the recent Euromillions lottery!
Nearest airport is Basel/Mulhouse served by Easyjet from Luton and Swiss from London City (at prices which can compete with Easyjet if you book at the right time).

Slightly further away Ryanair do Stansted - Baden (which they call Karlsruhe).

Swiss prices include checked luggage and snacks, easyjet and ryanair don't so bear it in mind when comparing prices. I've a feeling you even have an extra charge to check in with Ryanair.

Both airports are convenient for the park and have easy public transport links (assuming you don't arrive really late in the evening or return at dawn!).

Someone mentioned Stuttgart in a previous post - nowhere near as easy to reach as it is the wrong side of the Black Forest (which contains a range of mountains as well as the trees).

When you've sorted the flights leave a message with the details and how many in the party if you need public transport info. - it can be really cheap if you know the tricks.
Just a reminder that 1 May is a Bank Holiday in France, so you may get a lot of extra visitors to the park ....
I think Wendywu is planning her trip for the second May Bank Holiday which won't coincide with any public holidays in France, Germany or Switzerland so the park shouldn't be overcrowded.
I'm glad the parking has been sorted, it was a nightmare the last time I was there.
Whoops! Sorry if I misread the BH weekend - Judith is right, there'll be less visitors!
I have found a UK based travel company Dertour UK who do packages to Europa Park including transfers, flights, hotels and tickets. They fly out of Luton to Lahr Airport which they say is 10 min from the park. I am waiting for a brochure to come through at the moment :)

Mind you my husband is moaning about having to fly out of Stansted or Luton when we are 20 min from Gatwick! No sense of adventure some people. :roll:
Lahr is a former Canadian Army base. When you get the information from DER Tour, could you tell me which airline they are using. Glad that it is Lahr which is SO much nearer than Karlsruhe/Baden or Basel! And have a great holiday next Spring ... something to really look forward to as winter draws on ....

Have just looked up Lahr - or Black Forest Airport as it calls itself. Your flight is a special charter that has been arranged by DER Tour and the airport as a promotion for Europapark, and the airport does not accept scheduled flights. This means that there will just be your plane load of passengers passing through customs/immigration/baggage reclaim. I would make a point of checking as you leave on your way to the park what facilities the airport offers in the way of shops and refreshment facilities - there were none mentioned on the website. However the restrictions on liquids in handluggage still applied at the time of my writing this post.
Thanks for the info Alsacienne and i will post the price of the packages when the brocure comes through against the price of booking seperate hotel and flights.

We are off to Berlin for 5 days at the start of November and i am starting to bet quite excited about it now. Having done WW2 with two teenagers doing o levels it will be great to see the places first hand. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.