Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
eye test in goa
13 Posts
Yes to both, I recently had my eyes tested in Goa, and bought glasses there, not sure of the price I think it was around £40 for 2 pairs, many of the opticians will do the test free if you buy your glasses from them, but they tend to be dearer in the tourist areas, I got mine from the opticians in Mapsua market,

Lin
Unbelievably but, quality glasses and eye sight tests are available in Goa.

Mapusa is the place to go if you only do very cheap! Otherwise a typical Candolim optician will charge from £30 upwards depending on your requirements and your personal prescription. I used to pay up to £500 in Upminster for a quality Varifocal lenses plus Silhouette frames. This year I got a pair made for me for £160 with Zeiss Varifocal lenses set in Silhouette frames in Candolim. This included a eye sight test with up to date eye sight test equipment. The man I use only takes cash no credit or debit cards.

Fortunately both the lenses and the frames are manufactured in India so there is no crippling import duties. Hope you didn't mind the hint of cynicism in the first paragraph I couldn't resist it!

Regards
Hi,

I have been going to Goa since the early 90's. and have been buying my glasses from Romano's in Calengute. I know you can buy cheaper in Mapsa, but I have always been really satified with the price and service of Romano's. Contact lenses are also very cheap, the same as we have back home Johnson & Johnson and Daily etc. even coloured ones.
Have been with friends to other opticians and they have not been happy (the taxi drivers took them there). I also did try for contact lenses in Candolim with a new optician - but he tried to con me. So it was on the bus to Calengute again.

My lenses are very strong and varifocle and I picked expensive frames and it only came to £120. At home quoted £590. The lenses were the best, made very thin etc. etc.
I have been using Romano's in Calangut for the last few years. Although I have been getting my eyes tested here in the UK at Boots and taking the prescription with me.

I had my eyes tested once in Romano's but they didn't do the eye health checks which they do in Boots, just the tests to see what you could read from the letters.

That said, I have always been extremely pleased with the quality of glasses/lenses supplied by them.
Hi,
I have had my eyes tested there - lenses excellent.

~But I also take a prescription from the Uk.
My wife wants to pick up Daily lenses in Goa, to save taking saline etc. Are they available? And does anyone know if we'll find them in Colva? I assume if we take her prescription, she won't need a test?
There is an optician's in Colva, but we found its opening hours a bit erratic, so I got my contact lenses in Margao in Optica Oculistas (near the park, where you get off the bus). But they had to order them - I use monthly disposibles, and they took about 5 days. So, I'd recommend you take enough for a few days, incase they don't have them in stock. I also remember a Swedish lady being told the same thing, so they probably don't keep many in stock. Price was excellent for mine, about £10 per box (6 months' supply).
Hope this helps
Liz
Hi Lizspain can you tell me what were there glasses like? we are going in january and will be going into margoa at the beginning of the holiday, any info i would be very gratefull :)
Hi Green.eyed lady
I bought a cheap pair of glasses as I wear contact lenses most of the time, I paid about 2.500 Rupees for frames and anti glare frames, I thhink it was 1.500 for the frames and 1.000 for the lenses, but ordinary lenses were only 5/600 rupees. There's a good choice of frames, though, and the staff were helpful without being pushy to try and get you to buy the more expensive frames.
Liz
Hi Lizspain thats a great price thankyou for the info. Do they do the lenses that go dark when you go into the sunlight ( Having a senior moment cant remember what they are called) :) Did you by any chance see any coloured contact lenses, my daughter has just ask me to look for some for her, i dont like to say yes unless i know i can get them for her, Thankyou for all your help. Maureen
I'm not sure about coloured contact lenses, but as you're going to the Opticians at the beginning of your holiday, I'm sure they could order them for you. You can get the lenses that change colour (I think they're called reactions or something like that!!), but can't remember how much, maybe another 700 rupees (I'm guessing now!). I intend to get some next year as well, so as I'm not going til March, maybe you could let me know when you come back in Jan!
Cheers
Liz
Hi Liz i will let you know how much they are when we get back. Your right i can just order the coloured contacts,(dont know whats wrong with me tonight :? ) Cheers Maureen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.