Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Filaria
8 Posts
Anti-malarials are just that, they don't have any role in the prevention of filariasis. Best way to avoid is to avoid mosquitoes between dusk and dawn (DEET, burn coils, use room knock-down spray, mosquito nets etc.) Don't think there is preventative medication available here
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Lymphatic-Filariasis.htm

This may be slightly reassuring, as the state has been working to a national programme to eradicicate the disease
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/news/city/goa/Filaria-WHO-team-to-arrive-in-Goa-soon/articleshow/4642079.cms
Hi Roma,

Suggest you follow the same rules as for mosquito bites and protect yourselves from them.

Apply insect repellent to uncovered skin.
Sleep under a mosquito net.
If possible, stay indoors between dusk and dawn.
When outdoors, wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts to protect against mosquito bites.

the anti Filaria drug is a long term medication Diethylcarbamazine (DEC), there are programmes running in different areas of India. It is an unlicenced drug in the UK, and needs closely monitoring.

Hope this is helpful jan x
hi roma
had a good talk to doc and travel nurses about it,but not a lot of info available,but it is being tackled globaly on a nationwide treatment plan you cant get the tablets in the uk,but they have been giving them out in goa,believe its two tablets per year,however doxycycline is one of the recommended medicants and you can get that here and in goa,its a parasite infection so its usefull against it as well as malaria.....ps tell bobbins i said hi,hope to see him after his travels
Thanks for the information - mosquitoes don't seem to fulfill any useful purpose, do they? Food for bats, I suppose!

Will pass on your regards to Bobbins, Dragon. :tup
Roma, what would the Odomos company do without mosquitoes??? :rofl
Hi Roma yes it was me!! we take two tabs a year and that gives protection, my nearby neighbour almost had a leg amputated last season due to Filaria and the government actually give out free treatment to locals and people living there on a door knocking system in October as it is quite rife and they are trying to stamp it out there ..spoke to the Holiday clinic about it recently in UK and the nurse had never heard of it :yikes it terrified me too when i heard about it thats why we take the tabs!!!
chilly
Hi Chilly - Thanks! I thought it was you but the coffee distorts the memory!

Do you know what the tablets are?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image