Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
no loss of human life, palmitos park (bird sanctuary) devestaed but most bird released or removed before fire took. a number of homes and possessions. Fire under control at moment (winds and weather permitting)and all holiday resorts unaffected
Oh, terrible news about Palmitos Park :( Any news on the camels up in Fataga? I hope they're OK and also the lovely Canarian family who run the camel safari/farm. My thoughts are with everyone in Gran Can & Tenerife at the moment.
Thanks for the update. Shocking news about Palmitos Park :shock: Always loved visiting there - sad I won't get to see it this year. How awful that the fire was started deliberately - pity the firefighters trying to bring it under control in the high temperatures that are being experienced in the Canaries at the moment! Hope everyone continues to be okay.
Initially, though visitors were cleared from the area as a precaution, there appeared to be no immediate danger to the park itself - but then the wind changed and brought the blaze with it
The fire has wrecked about 65% of the park
Restaurants, offices, the butterfly house and the area where they do the parrot show, the reception and the souvenir shop have been reduced to smouldering rubble
About 600 of the park's 2000 or so palm trees have been destroyed
Around 50 - 60 birds and animals are known to have died - these include some pairs of toucans
Altogether some 800 birds and animals were rescued, covering about 250 species
Staff at the park freed birds of prey and other species late last night so that they could escape the fire, knowing that they would be able to survive in the wild
The park will be closed for the next 8-12 months while it is rebuilt and re-stocked.

Main problem was absolute lack of planning (in spain...?) and co ordination, the plan was to let the animals go and see if they can fend for themselves from what i can gather. and thats it, no transport for crocs, monkeys, toucans, flamingos etc so they may well have perished
Oh those poor animals :cry: Very sad news.
So saddened to hear this. We left GC on 28/7 - regular visitors to Palmitos Park - must be one of the most beautiful places in GC to visit. Updates welcomed. Just can't believe it!!!!!!!
The camels at Fataga are fine, saw them on my recent trip. Our rep said that during the fires they were released into the countryside but came home again when the danger had passed.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.