Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
A very long read indeed.

My first reaction is that there is too much sarcasm in the letter, too much sniping and it most probably will get the person reading their back up.

Where did you spend the £900. Was it paid in the UK or in the Dominican Republic? If it is the former, I would check the T's and C's as legal cost overseas only are usually included in the wedding package price. If it is the latter, you should have reason for redress depending on the exact terms of the T's and C's.

Mark :)
An enjoyable read!

Have you thought about sending your correspondance to the First CHoice/TUI Travel managing director and a selection of Directors who sit on the TUI Board. That might stir some life into Customer Services.

I do hope you finally get it resolved.
i agree with mark & you need to read all the small print, these companies usually cover themselves very well, good luck
"My first reaction is that there is too much sarcasm in the letter, too much sniping and it most probably will get the person reading their back up."

Got to agree with that statement. Having had dealings with holiday complaints I would say the reader would automatically go on the defensive.

Irrespective of that they are only allowed 28 days to respond. 3.5 months inbetween communications is not on (if I understand your post correctly). I would have reported them to ABTA so they could chase your reply.

I hope you manage to get this resolved to your satisfaction. Please keep us updated.
I have looked at the FC website and the section on documentation required. It is obvious that the legal costs can be quite high for anyone wanting to marry in another country.

Much of the documentation cannot be organised by them but only by the parties involved. There is also a chart of what is required that advises where solicitors may be involved. I would not expect the costs of putting this documentation together here in the UK to be included in the £900.

No doubt members who have married abroad will have far more knowledge than I but what did the charge of £900 encompass? No doubt submission of documentation, local charges, cake, flowers, the venue and the services of one of their representatives to smooth the way. Wedding planners are probably essential and TOs are aware of this. That is why they offer the service but they do have to be paid for.

Comments regarding sarcasm in replies do not push the complaint further. Much of what is said in these letters could almost me a cut and paste system for replies. The standard of letters you will get is not high. Many of the people who deal with these matters do not have a good record of writing any reply of quality or fully addressing the complaint.

Amongst other things the OP does say is "I demand" and I am sure that will get attention - not!

There does seem to be much reference to emails and that in itself does not help. If you wish to get someone to read something then write a letter and send it by post (recorded delivery) - I have read what is written and will no doubt have missed things. Fact - reading postings/emails we all scan rather than read with care.

I have no doubt the OP has some justified complaints at the manner in which they have been treated and is correct in seeking redress for those.

My "personal" view is that here on HT we can only express our own "personal opinions" - sometimes with experience - but what we say has no legal standing.

The way forward - again in my opinion - is to take proper legal advice.

fwh
I know my letter is very sacarstic but they have made me so angry.

My main gripe is the fact at booking we was not told anything about legal documentation and we had to find out for ourselves also they just have no regard for keeping the customer informed.

The issue with the wedding certificate as just topped it all off.

We receieved a letter today from abta saying they are in receipt and will respond with 25 days, now why cant first choice do that?
I did read all the way through your original post, and agree with Traveller that it was an enjoyable read. However, I would doubt that Customer Services of First Choice would say the same. Whilst I really do sympathise with you, I did a very quick google of FC Weddings and one of the prominent statements is that wedding certificates could take months to be issued. The website also seemed to state quite clearly what documentation was needed depending on what country you were getting married in, and I presumed from that website that it was the clients responsibility. No costs were mentioned so I am unclear what you paid the 900GBS for :(

I do hope you get some satisfaction soon :(
Way off topic but sort of relevant.
Hubby and i booked a fly drive holiday to florida 18 years ago
Friends said i didnt need a visa as i would just have to fill in a form on the plane.... ppl i booked it with said nothing about a visa.
What my friends didnt know or the ppl i booked it with is that i had an irish passport
Friends didnt know this cos ive never been to ireland and spent most of my life in britain.
Anyway... got to airport,show my passport and of course no visa

Very stressfull it was
My Son was married in Cyprus and he had to organise all the details for the RC Wedding himself with my help.
He needed to get letters of Freedom from his Parish Priest in Ireland and also his wife to be. There were a lot of legal documents to be dealt with as they also had a Civil Wedding which has to happen first of all.
Civil Wedding which the date on their Marriage Certificate and they had their Church Wedding which is what we celebrated 3 days later.
They were given all the certificates etc and had to complete registering their wedding etc.
In the Brochure it stated that all this is the responsibility of the persons being married.
The TO helped with flowers cake hair make up etc but the reception we organised ourselves. I went out to Cyprus in March and spoke to the Priest etc and got menu's details for a few hotels. The wedding went off without a hitch but it did need careful planning.
I agree with the others that your complaint is far too long and the tone of the letter is unlikely to get a sympathetic response

Sue

Sue
Oh my god. I have found someone who is just as frustrated with first choice weddings as we are. Our story is almost identical to yours. We got married at the Golden beach holiday village on 22nd July 2008. Still no marraige certificate. They lost our documentation and didnt inform us for six months and now they are ignoring all our complaint letters. We have been on holiday twice since then and I have had to change the booking back to my maiden name and they have charged us an administration fee! I work for a goverment dept and I have been refused entry on site due to the name mix up. My hasband????? has been trying to get a response from them all day today and they keep telling us that they will send another email to resort to ask what is going on. He has spoken with customer services, TUI group legal department and the weddings department, no one seems to want to help. The weddings department told us that they are having real difficulty with the resort and that they have people waiting over a year. At no point from inital enquiry did they ever tell us that there would be a problem.

So i do sympathise with you. its soooooo frustrating and I dont really know where to go next with this, although I have just emailed watch dog.

I wonder how many people are having the same difficulties. If we could get them all to get in touch with watch dog surely they would take on the case.

Tam
Have you considered contacting Ros Fernihough, a travel solicitor who helps a lot of HT members? Her details are on a sticky at the top of this thread.
TAM,

I am so glad there is somebody who understands!

I am not dropping this with first choice, they have no regard for customer service.

I dont know about you but when we booked our wedding we assumed the £950 wedding fee covered everything and we was shocked when we had to find another £900 for legal papers. We were not told at booking about the legal expense and what exactly is needed. I dont know about you guys but we struggled getting everything sorted and they were no help. I know FC and people on here have responsded by saying it states everything on their website, but it is not clear and what happens if you are not literate with a pc? ehat if there is a couple who book their wedding but have never seen a website before?

I am with you all the way going to watchdog, together we will change their approach hopefully.

JB
tam
Forgot to mention we also got married at the golden beach resort.

JB
JB,

We were told about the legal fees and we opted to go to an agency that delt with it for us for an amount within three weeks so we didnt have the smae problems with that. My biggest gripe was that at no point from initial enquiry did they state that they had a problem with this resort. Our wedding was sold to us as a complete carefree package.

Have you registered your complaint on the watch dog website?

I have got hold of the managing Director and the Chairmans contact details for first choice so I am now redirecting all my complaints there as well as copying in ABTA and IATA and watchdog.

We have also cancelled a holiday that we had booked with them in June and they have just sent us a letter asking for a cancellation fee of £400.

Tam
Tam,

Our main gripes are detailed in my letter but what I found with them is that they just do not seem to care.

We were given wrong information for example upgrade on the plane and where to get single status declaration.

We got married at the Golden Beach resort and I must say the day was perfect, only because we made it that way. We paid for the wedding package, i think it was an extra £950 on top of our holiday. Now as you know for that money you get a co-ordinator (who tells you where to be) and the local judge.

We did get 12 photos and a bottle of champagne but we had to pay for extra photos, all our button holes, brides flowers, extra champagne, brides hair.

The cheekly so and so's also tried charging my guests for the sit down meal until we all kicked off saying they are all inclusive so that was waived.

So If you think about it you dont really get that much for £950?

And to pay nearly the same for legal fees is a joke.

I really feel for you for not having a certificate, we are really annoyed that we did get one but they cocked that up so my argument is why pay for all the legal things if they cant process it correctly.

They have not done themselves any favours by ignoring us, if they sort out the mistakes right from the first complaint letter then most customers will be happy. But to ignore me and reply with a letter that shows they clearly do not understand the complaint is beyond me.

I have emailed watchdog but got nothing back as yet, It will be usefull to have the chairmans details as I would like to send him my 12 page letter!
I have only just come across the post and found the OP's opening post an interesting read.

I got married in Mexico in Oct 06 through the other main package tour operator. We paid about £1000 extra for the wedding package but it was made very clear by TC when booking the wedding package, and also in their weddings brochure that the legal paperwork required to be organised before travel was our responsibility. We paid out hundreds of pounds for certified birth certificates, certified decree nisis, certified copy passports etc. etc. and all had to be translated into Spanish and then taken to the Foreign & Commonwealth Office to be certified again. It was expensive but the required documentation for each wedding destination was in the paperwork initially sent to us by TC and we knew roughly what costs to expect. I can't believe that FC wouldn't have similar terms and conditions stating that the customer would be liable for all the costs relating to the paperwork.

The wedding certificate is another matter :( though I have previously read that for some destinations they can take months to arrive. Unfortunately, the marriage certificate when it eventually arrives will be in Spanish and will need to be officially translated before UK banks, DVLA, passport office etc. will accept it to enable you to change your bank account, driving licence and passport etc., for which you will also have to pay.
Cazzholly, is this a new thing having to get your marriage certificate translated back into english for name change on driving license and all that ? I only asked because we got married in Havana 9 yrs ago and our certificate is all in spanish and we were never asked to do this from the bank, passport office or dvla .
Not sure Juby! Think my bank would have been ok as I have a staff account but the Passport Office wanted it translated before they would issue a new passport. Maybe it's something to do with it being Mexican?!
My life assurance company wanted a translatied certificate too! Whole process was quite expensive in the end :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.