Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Blimey Tazz you had a very lucky escape there.

Well done to your rescuer.

Kath
That is such a frightening story. I had an incident elsewhere(Barbados actually) where I was caught in an undercurrent and appeared to be swimming backwards. I kept swimming towards the boat and going further and further away. It was really frightening especially as no-one noticed. Well done on your rescuer.
Hey
All thumbs up to you man you were lucky and brave enough to say you might go back again. There are people I know who are so afraid of water and hydrophbia kicks in. Hats off to your spirit and the rescuer. You have a strong heart man. As I was reading I thought to myself that you would end up not going to the place ever again. But it was the other way round.
Cheers to a New Life
Karan
OM NAMAH SHIVAY
Truly a cautionary tale. In a way, the "calmer" beaches like Morjim can be MORE dangerous, as you can be lulled into a false sense of security. The bottom line of course is always "don't go out of your depth" but this is easy to forget at a beach like Morjim which appears so benign. It isn't, especially when the tide turns.
thankyou for your replys
it was my first time, and i had read many reviews on the sea in goa and said to myself that i was not going in the sea.
but you know how it is when you get there and see the beautiful beaches, the waves the nice cool sea and others enjoying themselves, you seem to forget about the stories you have read.
and then you think they were over cautious writing them stories about the tragic deaths which have occured in the past etc. the curents underneath etc etc .
and here am i doing the same thing trying to tell you about my experience and to warn others of the dangers.
i am not trying to say dont go in the sea but be very cautious, like all your replys dont go out of your depth just because the beach is nice dont expect the sea to be the same.
and if you do have children please take them to the sea and watch over them.
Hi

That sounds very scary.

Just a bit of advice for anyone caught in this type of situation.

If you are caught in a current thats taking you out to sea or away from a boat etc do not swim towards the shoreline ie fighting the current as you WONT get back and you will drown unless someone saves you. Even with fins on you can only swim around 1-2 knots which is far slower then anything bit a mild current, without fins you will be under a knot.

What you need to do is to swim following the shoreline ie parellel to it, yes you will go further out to sea but you will not waste as much energy and you will swim out of the current where you will then be able to swim to the shore.

Also remember to stay calm, your body is bouyant in fact its very hard to drown unless you panic and dont control your breathing, providing of course you are not exhausted from swimming against the current for the last few hours. Try it next time you are in the sea/swimming pool just lay on your back and take short shallow breaths you wont sink (women tend to be a lot more bouyant then men so making it easier for them to stay afloat) if you find it easy in the pool it will be a lot easier in the sea due to the salt water making you more bouyant etc.

Regards

Peter
Tazz did you stay at Renton Manor by chance? My friend got into difficulty whilst swimming, he got bad cramp and couldn`t get back in to shore and 6 fellas had to go rescue him, he too was very scared by the incident.
oh my god....thank god you got back ok.i would say all the sea in goa is strong, but my kids just went in the shallow end not to far in to swim or anything, but candolim we walked along the beach and all of a sudden the waves came in thick and fast early evening, and went all over us,nearly sucked us in and only walking on the sand. where as if kids go in the shallow morijim aswem and paolem they will be ok, but no no further under any circumstances !!.. :cry:
Thanks for sharing this with us it brought tears to my eyes, as last april i experienced something similar, but this was at calangute beach, and ive had a few nightmares.
I do enjoy going in the sea, but i NEVER ever venture out past my waist
yep thats the one feel the vibe neil,
i was at renton mannor and spoke to him over the incident.
we were two lucky guys.
mr stella gave some good advice earlier in the post and hes right in a way
i was trying so hard to get back to shore swimming five yards and being dragged back 15 yards, and the harder i tried just did nothing to get me closer to shore, it just made me out of breath and panic even more.
but reading what mrstella said makes some sense.
but at the time and that moment everything goes out the window and you just try to get back.
thx gracei for your reply didnt mean to start this topic on your page
but i thought it would be better if people new about morijim beach, as three lives were nealy lost in the space of my two weeks there.
as we all know who been to goa the waves look so inviting and fun to jump over, into or just let them hit you.
but the back current after the wave is very strong at all the beaches and at morijim i found out, and to a child it would be lethal.
and alls i can say is when i do return to goa is that go up to your waist and swim at that depth, and do not think that its ok and start to go further as that is when the current gets stronger and you might end up in trouble.
make sure your feet are firmly on the bottom.
Vey lucky indeed by all accounts, he has recovered from it now, good swimmer Neil as well, so it goes to show you can`t be too careful .
Ive got a story about how dangerous the sea can be,
it was a good few years ago when i was about 14, my mam was on calangute beach, so me and my dad decided to rent a canoe.
We got quite far out and we tipped over. We didnt have life jackets on or anything. I tried climbing back into the canoe whilst my dad held it, but i couldnt.
The waves were thrashing the canoe, so there was no chance either of us were going to get back in the thing.
I felt the current pulling me under, i was crying, thinking i was going to die.
So my dad started waving for help. A couple who were next to my mam came over and said 'i think your husband and daughter are in trouble', which my mam replied, no they're just waving, they're both very stronge swimmers'.
Luckily some lads got on a speed boat came out to rescue us.

The sea is so unpredictable, and it just goes to show that even stronge swimmers can get into trouble.
Yep tazz if you dont know whats happening panic sets in, but if you know before hand you know how to deal with the situation.

Also just a quick note, under currents have been mentioned many times about pulling people down, it wasnt it was the people panicing that was making them sink and not the current, if your far enough out to not be able to touch the floor then then generally theres no under current (only happens close to the shore) for example when you first go into the sea and the wave comes in and goes back out you can really feel it pulling at your ankles/lower leg but once you get out to your waste then you dont feel it as much and so on.

If you dont fight the current and dont panic you wont drown (well not straight away anyway), as tazz said in his post he was quite happy laying on his back etc for over ten mins, yet after ten mins of swimming against the current he was knackered and thats what nearly killed him. Rip currents are very narrow so swimming say 50 yards parallel to the shoreline and he/you would have been out the current and you could make your way back to the shore and a kingfisher.

Sorry if i am banging on a bit, but if it helps one person in this scary scenario then its worth banging on about. :D
Mrstella thanks for the info that is very important reading!

That's an eye opening story. I too nearly died when on holiday in Spain. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. I my case it was huge waves pulling me out. I couldn't swim parallel to the shore. If I'd given I would have died. Know the feeling about collapsing on the shore. I think I fell asleep I was that exhausted!
mardon gets a gold star for being the first person to have problems with under current :wink: it was the current that was pulling you out and the waves were actually trying to push you towards the beach, but because of the power of both working against each other and you stuck in the middle it causes major problems.

To deal with entries to the sea were there are large waves breaking is to dive just before the wave (larger the wave the deeper you try and dive) this stops the wave from pushing you back towards the beach and also allows the under current to take you out to sea, as i said before the under current loses strength the deeper it gets so dont worry about it taking you off to africa :lol: you just keep repeating this until you are past the surf.

Obviously though dont do it so you impale your head on the ocean floor and to make sure that when you do it, its safe todo so. ie candolim is fine lots of sand and no rocks to smash your head in on.

Regards

Peter
Good fortune returned you to land, Tazz - and very well done to your rescuers. We were in Goa in Jan 06, and we ventured onto Morjim (amongst others) but the difference is NEITHER of us can swim, so we went in ankle deep ....and no further !! We're returning in Jan 07.

I noticed you stayed at Renton Manor, Tazz - is John still there? He was very helpful on our stay there.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.