Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
one of the biggest nightmare for people who live & work here over the past 8-10 years or so has been the way ibiza has been portrayed in the media - it is hard to articulate how annoying its been

ibiza uncovered and the scare stories from the tabloids in the past have all concentrated on about the 1/4 sq mile in san an - but even now over the past few years that is now going away

the island seems small but because of the way it is - about 5 main roads - its actually very large

if you ask anyone who lives here "when did you go to x,y,z?" they'd probably go " oh i havent been there for a few years - its too far away

this is an island thats only 40 mins from one end to the other - get out, get a hire car for a couple of days and you'll come back next year :)
(ps if you want relaxing beaches - go to the following: benirras, cala moli, cala bassa, es cubells, cala mastella, agua blanca, cala boix (insert about 70 odd other beach names) or have a wander to san jose, san juan, santa gertrudis, santa ines (insert name of tiny village that has a couple of bars, a restaurant and the obligatory tabac)

dont stay in your "resort" - its too easy, and you wont see the island for what it is - 10 mins from es cana is las dalias - go there on a sat lunchtime and you'll wonder where on earth those journalists went went they vistited ibiza
  • Edited by adeibiza 2007-06-02 22:10:12
Hi there
Like you we are going to Es Cana, we are flying this coming Saturday and it is our first time to Ibiza too. We are well past being clubbers, we are a bit nervous (mainly the flight) and excited too. I have heard good reports, I think its like many places, there are the real young stopout resorts and the quieter ones, like Es Cana where we are going. So hopefully there won't be lots of girls running about drunk lifting there t-shirts up like you see on telly in the big club resorts, well I do hope so!!!

Dawnie-Rob
I was very apprehensive when our youngest daughter announced that she was leaving her job (hairdresser) and going to work in Ibiza this summer, she is 19. She went out at the beginning of May, could not take the worry so booked a last minute flight and hotel for half term (can only go in school hols as I work in a school). We arrived back on Friday having spent 4 full days in San Antonio. We were between the town and the bay. Have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the cleanliness of both places. She has a job in a bar (away from the west end) which we walked down one night, it was not too bad there but I would not have been happy about her working there. Her boss has given her an alarm for when she is going home at night but she has not had to use it. The local police have been and met the staff, taken them out on their Harleys and told her what to do if she has any problems, but so far so good. It was a mix of age ranges whilst we were there but it was early in the season. She has a clean newish apartment leading out from the town. Would still prefer her to be home but she says she loves it. The beaches were ok but not as good as Bulgaria, having said that there are apparently much nicer ones around the island. As we were only there to see her and check out her workplace and apartment we did not have time to go exploring. From what I can gather it has calmed down a lot in San Antonio but its not our cup of tea, that is not to say that another part of the island such as Es Cana would not be. I am sure that you will be fine, have a good rest and relax.
Ibiza is nothing like the way that it was portrayed in Ibiza Uncovered.

For a start the program was made ten years ago, secondly the majority of people who appeared on it were paid by the film crew to act up and thirdly it was made around a few streets in San Antonio and so is not representative in any way of the whole island.

Ibiza has an undeserved reputation thanks to so much ignorance from people who believe everything that see on TV.
Hi there
I would say I do not believe everything I see on tv, and I resent being made out as being ignorant as the previous poster may think, and as a mature person I actually find it quite offensive.
I am very annoyed at the comment :x

By the way, I have never watched Ibiza Uncovered!

Dawnie-Rob
"hopefully there won't be lots of girls running about drunk lifting there t-shirts up like you see on telly in the big club resorts"

around the time of ibiza uncovered we were getting loads of calls from production companies wanting to "stories" about ibiza - every other week the tabloids had a "soddom and gomorrah" double page spread about ibiza - everyone learnt from that and no one on the island would talk to anyone from the media

thankfully over the past few years thats gone down but the sentance i quoted above means it hasnt really gone

it was only about 3-4 weeks ago i saw a comment from a journalist on a travel blog that went something like "i dont care for ibiza as its too full of drunk jobbos from (insert name of country)"

and the worst thing was they tried to justify it - and failed miserably
don't worry, you will all love it!!

we went last year(first time)to port des torrent/san an bay with 2 small kids.........it was brill.

also visited san an town(not keen tbh) santa eulalia and es cana. all lovely!! Es cana has the hippy market on wednesdays.

anyway you'll love it,we would go back in the blink of an eye!!
thank you all so much for your replies - my mind is defo more at rest now!! :D im a bit concerned about the flight as well -especially as both our flights are late at night/early morning!! friends have already prewarned me! im actually just back from bulgaria 2 weeks ago- it really is a beautiful country -20 of us went from dublin, major family hol!! beaches are superb,people so friendly.would defo go back again. :D :D
id just like to point out however that i am not ignorant as somebody suggested & take offence to the comment. people come on this chatroom for tips/reviews & to find out more about the holiday destinations not to be labelled as ignorant!!! :x :x
As two members have complained about casperslides comments re
Ibiza has an undeserved reputation thanks to so much ignorance from people who believe everything that see on TV.
I feel that perhaps he/she would oblige and quantify what was meant by the comment. I have sent a PM to ask him/her to post.

I did watch the program that was mentioned and I know that the local population were very angry at the depiction of Ibiza as a resort where all holidaymakers were getting plastered at the drop of a hat.

I do not think the the author of the post was referring to individuals that were posting at the time.
Thank you Allmen, you are correct I am not having a go at anybody who has posted in this thread, I have better things to do with what little free time I have during the summer.

I have a very succesful bar in Santa Eulalia and have done for the past three years. When I left the UK to come here I was told by everybody who had read about Ibiza (but never been here) that I would a) Have to ensure that I had a drug dealer for the bar and b) Pay protection to the local mafia. All of this of course as I knew was just plain stupid.

We have so many customers that I can't count them who when they tell their friends that they are coming to Ibiza for a holiday. their friends are horrified because of the media lies that are bandied around about this beautiful tranquil island. It is the people who won't come here because in their naivity they believe what they read in the newspapers that I am criticising.

I have to ask one question however, if the two posters who complained about my comment don't believe everything that they read about Ibiza why are they apprehensive about coming here?

stephaniecarr09 says:
when i think of ibiza i think people off their heads on drugs& paraletic in the street-not my idea of a holiday!!!

Where did that thought come from?
We took my son to Es Cana years ago when he was young (he's 22 now) and it was a lovely resort for families. Quite small so there wasn't a lot of walking needed to get from A to B.

Click Here to read our vast amount of reports of this resort. These are reports are written by us - the holidaymakers!
Casperslides,

Whats the name of your bar :?:
Hi all

In response to Casperslides, it seems that your comments on your latest post ( whether or not it was an apology)? seems still to make people who have heard things, and seen the odd things on News items, are ignorant, and I am afraid make you sound a bit of a smart alec.

Sorry Allmen I am still annoyed. :x

After all that I am looking forward to my holiday.

Dawnie-Rob
Ibiza Uncovered was about more than just the West End of San Antonio and also had Es Cana, a bloke from an environmentalist group in Ibiza, a fair bit of Ibiza Town and quite a bit about the big club scene as well.

To say it was about a 1/4 of a mile of Ibiza and no where else is wrong.

I don't know whether people who appeared on it were paid or not, but i have a friend who appeared on it and shall ask him and see what he says.

I didn't think it was as bad as made out in some quarters, but do think a seperate programme made by World in Action for ITV at around the same time did go over the top and give a falsely bad impression and was mainly about the West End of San Antonio.

My 2 penneth is that even San Antonio's West End is an ok place but is obviously aimed at the youth market and i'd say its no different to any other busy holiday resort or any other busy town centre in the uk at night.
Its the sort of place where you can have a loud time or a quiet time in the same resort.

As for Es Cana, i've never been but my 73 year old dad and 69 year old mam are currently there enjoying there 7th or 8th trip to Es Cana in the past 10 years and love the place.
In response to Casperslides, it seems that your comments on your latest post ( whether or not it was an apology)? seems still to make people who have heard things, and seen the odd things on News items, are ignorant, and I am afraid make you sound a bit of a smart alec.

Sorry dawnierob, as I don't live in Stalinest Russia I don't have to apologise for my opinions, all I have to apologise for is any misunderstandings that a post of mine may have caused which I think that I have done.

The fact is that there is a proportion of the population who take everything that the media says at face value. I would have thought that to anybody who had taken the trouble to browse through this forum it would be clear that the media has it wrong when they display Ibiza as a drug ridden den of iniquity. The majority of posters who have actually visited the place see it as haven of sun, sea, sangria and tranquility with a vibrant club scene just down the road that is available but not mandatory.
Hi there
I have been a member of HT for sometime now and have read a lot on the forums where I have had good reports about places, I have been put at ease by lots of good advice, and hopefully helped others, I always come on Ht to find out about places and things, because I know it is truthful. I have never relied on the media. Even though I have heard different opinion about things, it has not stop me going on holiday. You hear of places in Cyprus that are rather lively, I love Cyprus. I hear things about many places, it hasn't put me off.

Thank you Holiday Truths!!
Dawnie-Rob
like i have said over the years on this site and others.there is a place that suits everyone.
off to ibiza on the 19th of this month and its the 4th year running, always stayed in the san antonio area once behind the west end which wasnt too bad apart from the odd night when you'd hear it kicking off outside and the other times including this year where ive stayed in the bay area which is perfect, you got the local bars on your doorstep and if you fancy a loud one its only 20 mins walk to the west end or the sunset strip. like every other popular tourist island you are gonna have lively "centres" such as the west end in san antonio but its no worse than other places ive been such as faliraki in rhodes or malia in crete, even cancun in mexico had its crazy parts and i even had taxi drivers offering me "charlie" whilst they drove past on the main street( talk about being discreet) thats something i have never encountered in ibiza. if it wasnt for the media im sure peoples attitudes towards ibiza would be more positive and it would be even more popular with families than it is today and i know for sure that the last week has seen a number of clubs closed down due to drugs tolerance and this proves local government and the police take the matter seriously, hence the place not being a free for all drug den. hope you all enjoy your holidays to the white island
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.