Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi Elaine, Welcome to HT. I've often been to Tunisia at the end of April and the weather can be lovely, though it will be even warmer towards the end of May.

As a regular visitor and devotee of Sousse I'm bound to recommend that rather than Hammamet, but in all fairness both have a lot going for them. One advantage of Sousse is that it is easy to get trains or buses from there if you want to explore other areas independently (and more cheaply) that through your rep.

AI can be an economy if you have children but all hotels have their own interpretation of what is included so you need to clarify this before you commit yourself, as some of them can be rather restrictive. More and more hotels are now going down this route, which is a pain for those of us who prefer HB and even more so for the staff, who often miss out on tips! As for prices, I would suggest you have a look at various brochures and sites to help you decide where you want to go, then check out the tour operators and the discounters, such as Travel Republic, Alpha Rooms, LowCost, Quick Rooms etc. (the first three I've used in the past with no problems) and see if you can get the same holiday cheaper. Some High Street companies will price match the web price if you ask nicely.

We are here to help with any questions you may have so don't hesitate to come back.
The only reason i go to Hammamet is the Orangers beach resort, best all inclusive in Tunisia. So all the TC reps tell me. We will be back again next April and the weather last time was warm and pleasant with a little rain here and there. Saying that the forecast for may when i looked, was worse.
Welcome indeed to HT Elaine :wave:

I would just add over the previous replies that as far as AI goes they do include everything, meals, drinks etc, it will probably be only localy produced drinks that are supplied so if you wish a branded drink such as a Glenfiddich whisky or a Martell brandy you would have to pay extra, however the local brands are perfectly acceptable.
Snacks may or may not be included (check your hotel description) so you might have to buy a few snacks incase you get the munchies, however most AI hotels do provide some form of snack.

Graham
Thanks very much for the welcome and the advice - next stop the travel agents for lots of brochures :D .

Any other advice gratefully received,
Quite a few of the hotels now include an A/I option, even those which are not advertised as such, and many of those which were previously H/B have now switched to all A/I, much to the chagrin of those of us who prefer H/B.
We've been to Tunisia twice in August time, weather wise I can't comment on in April /May, but weather in August was lovely, but I found it was not an unbearable heat, apart from 1day we had heat come over from the Sahara desert, we joked and said the waiters had left all the oven doors open lol.
We have only stayed h/b, and found the prices so cheap, but on saying that once you have paid your money for A/I most things are covered, but again never stayed A/I, but I would check what is covered for A/I.
We have stayed in Sousse, and found it to be very friendly, and local for buses, tuk tuks, and the noddy train, (latter 2 are a must to go on )
Quad biking was an experience :) We done a couple of trips, African night, if I remeber I think this also included a trip to the zoo, we went on the reps evening, and both were very good.

Roo
Thanks for that, really the only reason I'm thinking of AI over half board is, its a beach holiday, in a beach resort setting, and so soft drinks/snacks etc at the hotel are taken care of on AI.

However, reading between the lines on reviews of various hotels, it would seem that in the hotels which offer AI and half board to their guests, there may be a tendency for the half board guests to be treated better, as they are "paying" customers in the resort.

So, if I do go down the AI route, it seems I would be better looking at hotels which are only AI, and don't offer any other type of board basis. Would this be a sensible thing to do?
And it's my impression that with regards to AI in Tunisia you do need check carefully exactly what is included in the AI package as it does seem that it can be quite restricted in some places compared to what people are used to in Europe or the Caribbean.

SM
Back again guys - have been having a look at reviews for AI hotels in Tunisia. A lot of reviews, even the ones which rave about the hotel facilities etc, mention having to get up mega early to get a sunbed. Having never done AI or HB at all in any country before, I wonder if this is always going to be the case in school holidays (we're thinking of May half term next year).

It does put me off a bit, I have to admit - its not very relaxing is it, having to get up before 7am to sort out sunbeds.
I would think that May wouldn't be nearly as bad as during the main school holidays and you should be able to get sun beds, a lot will depend on which hotel you decide to choose of course.

You will also find that a small tip to 1-2 dinar (1 dinar is less than 50p) every few days to the pool attendant or who ever is dealing with sun beds will ensure that you get sun beds in your favourite spot every day ;)
When I have spoken with people, whilst we are on hols, those who hae been AI, have said, that they have felt those on a HB basis have had a tendency to be served first, one hotel we stayed in if I was AI, i would have been hitting the roof, the queue's for AI guests for drinks, were ridiuculous, plus they were only allowed 2drinks per time, although 1couple had tipped the head barman at the beginging on the holiday and they got treated like royalty.
I have found Tunisia to be so cheap, I think the 1st year we went, I spent about £300ish, for our 2week stay, that was having drinks, ice lollys, day trips and bringing pressies home, and we have always stayed at beach resorts, on our recent trip, on average it was about £4 to £5 per day on our dinner, which was a salad bagette and drinks for both me and son, think lolly ices were about £1.
We also tipped the pool attendant, daily with 1 or 2 dinar, and he saved out sunbeds in our same spot daily, so no rushing down the pool to get the sunbeds :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.