Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
and dont forget to get your glasses made your eyes tested and your dental work done!! well said arltogoa!! :D
chilly
get a suit made ...i had a fantastic one fitted and a sexy silk shirt all for 70 smackers
yea when we went years ago my ex hubby had his wedding suit made there!!lovely suit but wrong bloke!!lol :D :D
oh that is funny salucy had me in fits!! :lol: :lol:
chilly
Don't panic when you arrive, and just tell the porters 'NO' unless you want ripped off.

After locating your bus (or taxi) pay a visit to the ATM - on the right as you come out the exit at Dabolim.

Don't book any excursions with the rep (book them locally or get a taxi to take you).

If you plan to visit Anjuna Market on a Wednesday, get a taxi to take you up to Ashvem or Mandrem beach 'til 4-ish and then come back via Anjuna. Things will be starting to wind down, it's not as hot and busy and the stall-holders will be getting pretty desperate for a sale. :wink:

Ignore the dogs and they'll probably ignore you.

Be careful when swimming in the sea - just don't get 'out of your depth.'

Ladies make sure you have adequate support when travelling in a Tuk Tuk over bumpy terrain. (Mrs GW's tip)

Try to remember that if the beach vendor's 'hard sell' doesn't work, they'll invariably come back with the 'soft cell.' It's merely a different strategy.

Remember your torch.

GW
We are just about to go back, yet again, for probably our 12th time, on Friday.
There's a lot of good advice on here for the first timer, but don't worry too much about some of the things that have been said.
Calangute has changed quite a lot over the past 9 years we have been going, from a personal point of view not for the better. A lot of what we love about the place is disappearing.
What I will say to first timers, is keep an open mind for the first 3 days or so, you will probably see things you don't like or are not used to.
Meet the locals, chat to tourists, most of which will have been a few times, and sample the food, especially in the shacks. I can honestly say I have only ever had one bad dish out of all the meals I've had there, and NEVER had Delhi belly. The food is superb, and cheap.
As for the dogs, you just have to be a little cautious. If you see one with an International Animal Rescue collar on, and a small piece clipped out of it's ear, it has been sterilized and had all it's rabies jabs, and will probably come to you wagging it's tail. Obviously collars can come off, but look out for the clipped ear.
We stay on Holiday Street ( GRRRRR never used to be called that ) and go to Aggies Cafe, the food there is brilliant day or night, and I'm like Doctor Dolittle, never go out without something for the dogs, and can be sometimes seen with six or seven round my sunbed, never once had a problem with them, treat them kindly and they wont bother you, or just ignore them if you want. Like the people, even the dogs remember you from year to year. If you want to help the dog problem give a donation to the rescue centre, it only costs about £3 to sterilize a dog and get its rabies shots.
If you are not a strong swimmer I would definitely say don't go out past your waist as the undercurrents are very strong indeed.
Watch out for the sun, especially on overcast days, seen so many people badly burnt because they thought the sun wasn't out so no need to put on lotion.
As well as what everyone else has mentioned, jewelery, especially gold is a very good buy, make sure you get a recommendation for a shop though, whatever you buy should be worth 4 to 5 times what you pay when you get back to the UK.
Take all the advice in, don't worry too much, and relax and enjoy one of the best holidays you will ever have, and you will be back
Barry and Lesley
Lone females....DON'T take any crap from Indian men who stop you and ask, "can I take your photo"?, "where are you staying"?, "what's your name"?, etc, etc. They will try ANYTHING to get your attention and more importantly, your hard earned cash. :x Also...when you get in a taxi, the fare should be about 8-10rps per k/metre...if you're staying in Baga/Calangut area, they like to start at 50 rps just for you jumping in...don't be scared to tell them....they just want your money!! Ladies...it's mostly common sense but on the rare occasions when I felt a wee bit intimated, a strong voice and a firm point gets your message accross that you won't take any shit from them. :twisted: Go with your instincts because they'll always be right!! This will be my third season in Goa...I leave on the 4th January and can't wait. Your 6th sense kicks in the minute you land but most of all remember to have the time of your life.
Please do not feed the beach dogs.
The more you feed them the more puppies they have. This is not a problem until May.
The dogs then starve as the Goans will only feed their own dog and not all the strays that us tourists think are so cute. :!: :!:
It may seem hard but in the end you will prevent a lot of suffering.
I never had a problem with the dogs. Dogs can sense fear. If you're scared of them you'll get a reaction. As said they mostly sleep in the day.

With regards to the sea, I'm a good swimmer and never had a problem. I did feel the currents. I mostly went to little vagator, it wasn't to bad there. I did not like the sea at all in candolim (by the ship).

I also agree that this thread has got a little OTT. I felt much safer in Goa than I do at home. I went last Christmas 05 to jan 06, i'm going again in feb 07.

If you want a relaxing eye opening unforgettable holiday (in a good way) go to goa!! The rest of the advice I feel is very accurate.
there is some excellent advice on here from everyone, one suggestion i would make (small but useful I think) is to carry wet wipes with you at all times and use before you use your hands to eat at any time, if like me you end up holding hands with loads of kids and others it saves any possible risk of delhi belly, :)
chilly
Try a different dish each day, take advantage of the cheap cocktails, use the local buses or if you are feeling flush use a rickshaw ( cheaper than taxi's ) with the spare change you can buy me a drink 8) try to learn a new Konkarni/hindi word every day, but unlike me remember it :cry: most of all, have a brilliant holiday,

Lin
You'll find lots of people will recommend their favourite shack - telling you how wonderful the food is and how the owners are ever so friendly. However, before you eat the food check out the toilet for goodness sake - so many of them only have a damp patch in the sand. Think about it - if you can't sit down to have a poo, and then wash your hands - what do the kitchen staff do?

Here's a nice one
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/mmacbain/Goa/DSC_0059.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/mmacbain/Goa/DSC_0061.jpg.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/mmacbain/Goa/DSC_0063.jpg

This is Bono's on the beach behind the Cockerail in Candolim. Each toilet has a wash hand basin and a sit down loo, which are plumbed into a septic tank. The toilets are checked every hour.

The food in the shack is excellent by the way.
Nice loos, where is Cockerail in Candolim? Looked for Bono's shack whilst there in November but didn't find it. Too many Kings maybe!! :lol: :lol:
I should keep this information to myself perhaps.
I'll never get a beach bed or a table in the shack.

Another one worth trying is Pete's Shack another 200 metres toward Calangute. His toilets have tiled walls and floors, and if I'm honest the food is particularly good.
Please, please everyone be careful going out late at night on Candolim beach or anywhere in Goa. My friend was out with a lad from our group at 2.30am on the beach and they were mugged at knife point. Goa is no more dangerous than any other poor tourist area, where us holiday makers spend a months equivalent or their wages in one night of drinking. This is an unfortunate thing that has happened however reminded us as a group not to let any of us stray off on our own in quieter areas. Be safe and happy... On the plus side we had a gate crasher at our wedding that stole something off one of our guests and she got caught by 15 taxi drivers the other side of Candolim about 15 mins away.
Sorry to hear about your friend involved in the 2.30a.m. mugging. There was an incident not far from us last Saturday where a 17yr. old girl was threatened at a riding stables by 2 men wearing balaclavas wanting money. But this was'nt in Goa it was England & at 2.30 in the afternoon !!!
David H.
My friend and I ...(two ladieeeeez:D , not teenagers but not yet on zimmers)....went for the first time last Jan...we spent the whole two weeks in tears.....through laughing so much!!. :D Armed to the hilt with the fab info from H/T members we spent the first few days 'gobsmacked' at what we had gone to but once I'd established myself with the chemist and bought all the 'just in case' medication I could carry I was in my element.....checking toilets....giving the taxi drivers a run for their money and speaking German to the beach sellers....which interestingly appeared to put them off hassling us. 8) ...we had a fab time. We met many Mr Goa's, we ate them up and spat them out!!.....the funniest was when I spotted some young Indian men taking photos near us on the beach.....I immediately allerted my friend to the possiblility of us ending up on their photos...possibly on the internet :twisted: . My friend quickly brought me back down to earth and told me to 'get a grip' as they were hardly going to photograph two 'old birds'....oh how we laughed. We are going back on 21 jan for our second helping of laughs. :D
Great information everyone...thank you!

It will be my first trip to Goa at the end of March, really looking forward to it.

Jenx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.