Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Can't really help you on the hotels, as I haven't stayed in either of them. As for the taster safari, Tsavo is an excellent choice, but if you are going at the time of the Great Migration (end July, I think) then the Mara is the one to go for.
Went to Voyager in June 04. Hotel was lovely but you can't use the beach as the tide comes too far in. May be different at other times of the year.

We did the Tsavo safari which was amazing but to be honest, by the 4th day you get bored of seeing giraffe after giraffe and elephant after elephant. For that reason, I wouldn't want to do the Masai safari but on the other hand, you'd get to see a wider variety of animals. We didn't see any rhinos and the only lions we saw could only be seen with binoculars.

Whatever you decide, have a great time. The Kenyans love British tourists and you can barter with clothes and shoes instead of money. However, you MUST do a safari.
Have done Tsavo East and West tied with Shimba. Have to admit once I got the bug I'd rather do Safari than the beach.

Visited Voi...spectacular, Ngulia and Kilaguni in Tsavo...better accomodation than I expected given the location. Saw loads of Lion...very close up as well, leopard, rhino,elephant, water buffalo, kudu, baboon etc,etc. Shimba was quite enjoyable as well although did not see so much wildlife.

Did not stay at Voyager...but on Diani beach...however not many people used the beach as they got so much hassle from beach traders.
We went to Kenya about 3 years ago, we stayed in a stunning hotel its called The Mnarani Club, its in malindi, set right on kiliffi creek, it is absolutely fantastic place, very small and quiet, when we stayed it was over 18 only but I know it has changed management since we were there, so that might have changed. We also did a 1 night stay in Tsavo East, which I would highly recommend, its a great place and the guides are good. We did a trip to jesus fort in mombasa this is worth a visit too, if you go, ask to see the spiders by the fish market, they are HUGE :shock:
went to tsavo east,stayed at the voi both 10/10,loin walked right past us 3 ft away brill,loads of animals
my first trip was safari and beach - by the time I had spent one day by beach I was bored so booked up Tsarvo East, West and Amboseli. What they didn't tell you was the first day 8 hours in the van, second 10 and the last one 12! I would suggest something less than that - go to Voi and stay there or Shimba.
We had our 1st trip to Kenya March 06. It was so fantastic we have booked for March 07.
Buy your safari in Kenya there are many decent operatours we used Gibran at The Barclay Centre Diani Beach.
Suggest you have a look at a few of my pics. I took 300+ on a 3 day Tsavo East & West. These were 3 of the happiest days in a 35 year marriage!
http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/dariusdave/?start=
Perfect timing! We (4 women) just returned from a 17 day Kenya/Tanzania safari and we chose the budget camping/basic lodge/bandas way to spend out nites because we were on a tight budget as well and we saved a bundle and more importantly we experienced Africa the way it should be experienced!! I spend 9 months researching companies and costs and the best deal I found for short or long safaris was with Mountsafaris out of Nairobi (INVALID URL for Jeremiah Gathu. They had everyone beat with prices and they will customize your trip as you like with as few as 2 people.

Enjoy your trip!!
We've just returned from our first visit to Kenya. Went on the Cheetah Serena Safari First Class 1 night Nairobi, 6 nights safari and 7 nights at Leopard Beach (Mombasa South Coast)

Visited Samburu (2), Mt Kenya (1), Lake Nakuru (1) and Masai Mara (2) - My favourite without a shadow of a doubt was the Mara. FANTASTIC!

To be honest I'd probably look for 3/4 nights in 2 different places next time, we had a lot of driving between parks and make no mistake the Kenyan 'road' system is appalling. I'm glad I didn't opt for 14 nights at the beach with a mini safari in the middle, nowhere near enough.

Visit http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294206-i9216-Kenya.html for more information/ideas :lol:
hello anyone been to this hotel and can tell me what its like??
are you allowed to fish in the creek on your own? or do you need a liecence.
is the hotel good for children 10+6...
thanks
I've added this resort to our review site. If anyone has stayed here then please be the first to add your review by Clicking Here

Don't know if you've seen their website madasharley but if not I've added it to the review details - click link above to obtain their website.
thanks glynis that website helps me a lot,it realy does look like a nice place but i am still unsure about the fishing.
so if anyone can let me know if you can just go to the creek and fish on your own please let me know.
thanks
hi glynis
have e-mailed the hotel and got the information i required from the link you gave me thanks...
we have booked for january 2008 so will leave report when i get back.
anyone else going before me let me know whats it like.. 8)
have booked for this hotel and now first choice have told us there is no longer all inclusive her.
offered us £7.50 a day each if we go half board or change hotel to sun+sand beach resort.
any suggetions people
It's a close call as they both have good reviews, although none of them seem to menion AI. We have reviews of the Sun & Sun on this site and there are reviews of the Mnarani HERE

luci :wave
hi luci the only reason we booked at minari is for the fishing,but do you think the discount is fair??
has anyone been here and know what the average cost is for snacks during the day andmostly the drinks !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
well after speaking with first choice and getting no help at all from them (their attitude was if you dont like it you can cancel)we have had to opt for the sun+sand resort.
which i must add is £200 dearer than what we booked originaly and does look a great hotel.
however this still does not alter the fact i booked the minarini for the creek fishing and not a beach holiday.
and this new hotel is no where near the creek in kiffili...
oh well looks like first choice wont be getting our family holiday booking for june now.. :evil:
well our tickets arived today and we got a phone call from first choice to tell us there has been a mix up and they forgot to book us into the sun+sand resort..
so now we are back to square 1 the mnarani beach club which is only half board..
after much disagreament over the phone we had to accept their offer to stay here on half board instead of all inclusive which we managed to arange a refund of £300 + $300 to cover our food and drinks over the two weeks. :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.