General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Flies!!!
15 Posts
:D Costa de almeria (Roques de mar) - 100 times worse!
Weird. :hmmm Perhaps it's a time of year thing? We didn't seem to be bothered by them at the end of August/begining of Sept, and I would have noticed as I hate the things.
I'll agree with Belly that the Costa de Almeria is notorious for the flies and that's simply because of two things.
Firstly, the amount of fruit and veg, particularly tomatoes that are grown in the province and the fact that EU rules have stopped the farmers from using certain insecticides/pesticides.
So now the flies are happily buzzing around singing viva espana. :lol:

I've not really been bothered by flies when we go to the Costa del Sol, which is usually June and September, but one day last month, we were pestered all day long with the blinkin things and I'm not talking about the odd one or two either.
Alsono, who hires out beds and parasols on a stretch of the beach, told me that the wind brings them in from the mountains, when it is blowing in a certain direction.

I tend to believe him because it was quite breezy and sure enough when the wind dropped and you could see the current on the sea change direction, then the flies, apart from the odd one or two disappeared.

One night in June, same resort, we had what can only be described as an invasion of mosquito's, you had to be there to believe it, they were everywhere, millions of the things landing on you, in your hair, on the goods in the shops
One night only and there wasn't a wisp of a breeze.. :shrug

Sanji x
How odd :hmmm
We stayed at the Caribe Resort in Salou 14th - 21st Sept. this year and visited the theme park most days, there were no flies on us or around us come to that. :lol:
Hi Silverpixie :D

I was at the El Paso just before you were at the Caribe and I don't remember seeing any. :shock: We must have been lucky.

Doe
It must be a time of the year thing then because believe me had they been around you would have noticed the pesky blighters! Everyone was having a moan about them.
Your right, it is the time of year.

I've been to Salou in May, June, July, August, September, October and December and the only time they were ever a pain was in October.

I was told by the locals that it normally happens for a couple of weeks following a wet spell of weather. We had great weather last October but late September was apparently really wet and as soon as the heat came back, combined with the humidity caused by the wet ground, the flies came with it.

Mark
Lizards are not insects! However more lizards would mean less insects as many are insectivorous.
We went in May three years ago and there was plenty about then, more than I'd ever noticed in other resorts round Europe. I just couldn't settle sunbathing as I hate anything with more than four legs :shock: :shock: and they were landing on you all the time. Dirty little monsters.
I hate anything with more than four legs

Cazz, four legs.?

I hate some things with two legs :lol:

Sanjiiiiiiiiiii
Went to cyprus last 2 weeks of september some years ago and there was millions of the blighters. Couldn't eat out in the open, they drove us mad. The locals told us its normal for september, it must be a september/octorber thing.
Like BBB and Sanji say, the Costa de Almeria has more than its fair share. I am a Roquetas de Mar regular and the fly situation down there can be dire.
I have been in June and there were millions, but for the last three years I have been in the second and third weeks of September and they are very few and far between (probably wouldn't even notice them if I wasn't looking out for them).
Next year we are going the last two weeks in September, hopefully they won't make a return then!!
To keep flies and the mosquitos away just light a candle (lemon scented).

Or alternatively drink a can of Irish Stout at lunchtime and the flies will leave you alone and annoy others - honest.
we were told by locals in the algarve that they tend to chop back all the palm trees and other greenery towards the end of the season and this is where all the flies come from. we were in cyprus this october and sure enough when the gardener started cutting the grass we were plagued with flies. lindsay.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.