Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi

There is no train from Hurghada to Luxor your only options are road or plane via Cairo.

Going by road you have a choice of paying for a car (taxi) or seat in a minibus, there should be several travel agents in Hurghada / El Gouna that will book this service and prices do vary so shop around.
Your hotel will also be able to book transfers for you but will probably add a bit on the price.

Remember that the prices quoted are 'flexible' :D or to put it another way, haggle HARD and get the price lowered, especially if using a taxi.
Also remember to confirm what currency you are taking about ( Euro, Sterling, Egyptian, US$) and agree that the price is the total price for the party and not per person.

The other way is the local bus service (Upper Egypt bus Co) but this is not the best idea as timetables are what you could call 'flexible', in other words they come and go whenever the driver decides and the public busses can be rather full and uncomfortable.

http://www.ask-aladdin.com/bus_schedules.htm

The travel time by road is around 4 hours from Hurghada to Luxor.

Hope this helps you a little
Graham
Thanks very much for that info. Had a look at that website also, had some good tips/info.
Do you happen to know what the road journey is like between Hurghada and Luxor. Is it flat or are there a lot of mountains etc to travel up. I hate scary road journeys?
Hi

Is it flat or are there a lot of mountains etc to travel up. I hate scary road journeys?

You won't have to worry about that, the journey from Hurghada to Luxor is through a mainly uninhabited flat desert style landscape.
We did the trip the opposite way round on our 2nd visit to Egypt (1994) and went from Luxor at about 7am.

The excitement of the journey on the outward journey was the toilet stop. We had completely forgotten about those holes in the ground! Last time we saw one of those was in the public toilets in Heraklion bus terminal - so be warned! Ladies, if you are wearing shorts, it's much easier to step out of them....

The journey back was at night and leaving Hurghada for Luxor had me in a terrible torment. The roads were full of donkeys pulling trailers with no lights. A lot of the cars don't use their headlights either and I was terrified we were going to run one of the poor donkeys over....

Wouldn't have missed the trip for the world! A very enjoyable 2 days (1 overnight stay) as we were in the resort for 11am at the beach. Next day we took an arranged snorkelling trip to Gifton Island including lunch. All of this including transfers, bed & breakfast, the excursion to Gifton Island cost us the immense sum of LE70 per couple (around 14 Gbp at the time).

Luxor and Aswan are my favourite places and we return time after time. Getting itchy feet now as it's almost 2yrs since we were last there and I'm feeling a trip to Luxor coming on! Much easier to do now we are living in Cyprus :tup

CwB
Another tip if going to cairo from hurghada if you book through a private agent (the little booking office at the end of the strip) make sure your not on the midnight public bus to cairo(an experience in itself) as someone as already said it is very uncomfortable, even though it's cheaper unless you don't mind kipping on a strangers shoulder on the back seat.

If your feeling brave and deciede to take the saving of the tour operater be prepared for a long night and take something to eat with you,not to mention water,they normally change to a mini bus once they reach the outskirts of cairo which is not to bad but still not as comfortable as a coach.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.