Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Colin,
Is the reason that you mention 'Aswan' as a departure point because you are doing a two centre holiday, ie. Hurgharda & a Nile Cruise?
Tez
Hi colin
If you cannot get booked before you go ask your tour guide on the ship if he can book locally for you as we travelled with long wood in sept 05 and the guides are normally "free-lance " and have many contacts and ours got us booked by air with a local company and my wife and I had a guide all to ourselves and it was a wonderful experience and cost around £100 PP but was well worth it and back on board ship for breakfast .
regards wee-john
Hi Tez, yes we are going down the Nile first and then onto Hurghada, staying at the Hilton Long Beach Hotel.
Colin
Hi Wee John, Thanks for your message. I think you gave me some advise earlier this year regarding the boat RA1. Nice to correspond with you again. I have been told that the trip to Abu Simbel is scheduled for the morning after the fancy dress party on the boat. Do you know if this is correct? If so we may be better waiting until we get to Hurghada.
Colin
Hi Colin
Greetings from bonnie scotland , It was RADAMIS ONE that we were on and I dont remember if our trip to Abu Simbel followed the Egyptin night But I dont think that it was as we bought our Egyptian outfits at the stop before Aswan and I believe we were at Aswan a day before the Abu Simbel trip which was a 2AM Rise but believe me while the Egyptian night was first class , Given the choice between it or the trip ,Abu Simbel would win hands down without a doubt so please dont miss the sun-rise striking this magnificent edifice .
As far as flying from Hurghada is concerned I couldnt comment on that as Im sure the time factor would be greater from there and the planes that they use are the type that NOAH had on the ARK if you get my drift .
We also stayed at the HILTON LONG BEACH for our second week and I have posted a report in the Hotel reviews thread . It may not be to everyone's taste as it is big and busy with mostly "Eastern Europeans " as guests.The only down side we found was the four and a half hour transfer from Luxor to Hurghada which is in a Convoy of 20 to 30 busses through the desert . Please ask if you wish any further details , e=mail me if you wish .PS dont forget to file a report on your return .
regards wee-john
Hi Colin,
My reason for asking was to establish where you would be leaving from. If I were you I would do the following:
Immediately upon boarding your boat in Luxor seek out your rep and ask him to book you on the trip. Tell him/her that you cannot wait until the reps meeting, you need to book it now! If they cannot help you I would ask all of the other tour reps on the boat if any of them could book it for you, I would be amazed if one of them could not fix you up. Failing that nip into Luxor from the boat (check your sailing time first) and go to Jolley's Travel located right by the 'Old Winter Palace' and ask them to book you the trip from Aswan. If you use all of the above options I am sure you will get to see the wonder that is Abu Simbel. Good Luck & enjoy your holiday.
Tez
Just to let everyone know, Longwood have now offered a place on their Abu Simbel outing. Is this proving the power of this forum? I have to admit however, we are getting quite excited.
Has anyone been in a Felluca? Just found out that a trip on one of these is part of our cruise.
Colin
Hi Colin,
That is great news, you will be bowled over by Abu Simbel.
I think a better question would have been
"Has anyone not been on a Felucca"?
It is usually part of a Nile Cruise and will take you around Elephantine Island and if you are lucky, Kitchener Island. This is now a botanical garden but was once given to the famous British General, later Lord Kitchener. Some guides may organise a few other local trips such as a visit to a mosque or as in our case a swim in the Nile (great fun but very cold). :yikes Another one not to miss is tea and cakes whilst watching the sun go down from the garden at the Cataract Hotel in Aswan, don't forget your camera it is a spectacular sight. One word of warning, some tour operators try to pass off a motor boat as a Felucca, a Felucca has tall sails. You will go on the motor boat as you cross the water to visit Philae Temple. There is usually an option of seeing the Sound & Light show at Philae, it is very atmospheric and I would recommend it to you, take bottled water with you. Have a really good one.
Tez
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.