America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi wickchick,

We are going in August next year as well! I have tried quite a few airlines so far and most will only quote up to June next year :!: Travel City Direct (TCD) will give a price, but an expensive one :( The first person I spoke to gave me the following advise :!: "Do not bother trying to get prices until September at the earliest"
I tried quite a few after this piece of advise, and have come to the conclusion it was good advise. The other company to quote that far in advance wanted £3,500 for 4 Adults and 1 Child :roll: (Thomas Cook)

Leaving it closer to the time can get you better deals, but it depends on what type of seat you want :?: If you want economy then there are deals to be had closer to the time, as the airline has got it's money from early bookers, but if you want any form of upgrade then you are taking a gamble.
I always get prices from Travel Agents, as it gives you a guideline to try and beat.
Sorry to be a bit vague, but I have been quoted some stupid prices so far.
£5,200 has been the highest so far :!: Therefore I am waiting until the end of the year before trying again.

P.S. TCD will only give you reductions if you book more with them :!: (i.e. Flydrive) This is a pain as, US Car Rental is alot cheaper for vehicles then TCD :!:
Good Luck
Almost all flights are only bookable for a max 330 days in advance. As Sam says leave it another few months and try again.

Sandie
1. How soon can we book the flights?
2. are we best off booking them earlier or nearer the time
3. is it just as easier for the travel agent to get us the best price? (sorry - busy people)
4. can anyone give me a rough cost - i was working on £350 but some people have paid twice that amount??

1. As one of the other posters suggested, if buying direct from a scheduled airline then the seats won't be available just yet - however all the large tour operators will have fly drive prices available for sale. Virgin Holidays have had their summer 2008 programme out since April. They sometimes have a 10% discount at weekends on their web site. That's worth watching out for to save a little more money.
2. If you are stuck with certain travel dates and are travelling in peak season (August) then I doubt you will get much of a better deal by holding out for a late booking. If fact you may find the flight availability has gone or prices rise because flights are in demand. What dates do you want?
3. Quite possibly - why not task one to enquire. For a party of 7 adults I'm sure they will be happy to hunt down the best current price for you.
4. If your £350 pp budget is inclusive of taxes and fuel surcharges (which are about £160 each at the moment!!!) then I do think for August this is NOT a realistic figure (very happy to be proved wrong :lol: ). The tour operators and airlines know this is a high demand time and will probably keep seats at full price at the moment - and probably be able to sell them as well.

If you can hold your nerve and wait then I think January 2008 will be another good time to have a look for a deal as many tour operators and online travel providers will have "sales" and discount messages. Just be careful that if you are tied to certain dates in August that these dates may be sold-out or not discounted.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.