DIY Holidays

Discussion relating to DIY holidays
flights
9 Posts
Fares with low cost operators vary like share prices and are about as predictable! It's possible you've hit a short term sale offer and they will be cheaper for a few days but August is usally the most expensive so expect them to go up again soon.

And another tip - not a good idea to book accomodation before knowing you've got a flight! What will you do if the flights sell out?
flights aren't a problem yet! I am quite central to four airports and i am keeping my eye on all of them. We have only just booked the accommodation we have only paid deposit, we weren't going to go on holiday this year, but really feel that we need a break so looked into diying it as package hols are so expensive. So do you think i should book them now? It is so difficult to know what to do for the best. I keep going to book them but then think to myself that they may be cheaper in a few days. The price we have been quoted is £537 for two adults two children to majorca for 11 nights. Is this a good price?

thanks
emma
The low cost operators don't usually have child prices so it's basicaly 4 seats. Whether it's good value depends on whether it's the bottom line. Does this include all the taxes/airport charges, luggage fees, checkin fee, credit card charges etc.. ?? For August to Majorca at this time of year it's probably a reasonable price if it is the true total. That airline is unlikely to get cheaper but the competition might respond. On the other hand, if it is a short term sale it could be over tomorrow - they have been known to last as little as 36 hours. Another tip that others have found, if you've been in and out of their system checking prices delete all your cookies before you go back - it's a long story but sometimes it helps!!
yeah that is the price for everything, it is flying with thomsons, this has been the price since last thursday. i have never booked flights before as we always do a package. With regards to insurance it is just a normal policy that i take out.

thanks

emma
Insurance is a murky area whether you book a package or DIY. Start by reading this thread http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=112575&p=1124738&hilit=+sydney#p1124738 but remember that it was begun over a year ago so companies may have changed their terms.

What DIYers really need is Supplier Failure Cover but few standard policies include it. I'm told that Marks & Spencer does include it this year and they were a good choice last year so I'd start there. If you haven't got a store within reach you can do it online. Actually I need to get mine sorted out soon!

Is the flight with ThomsonFly scheduled or is someone offloading spare seats on a Thomson charter?
not sure about the flight been scheduled, i have looked at package holidays and they offer the same flight, how do i know which one it is?

thanks

emma
if it was scheduled you'd have bought it via thomsonfly website, if you've bought it through an agent it's probably on a charter. The main difference is baggage allowances, on a scheduled it's on the website but charter allowances vary by who originally bought the block of seats (weight=fuel=cost). Different operators could share a flight and have different allowances.
hi the flight i have seen is on the thomson website, the baggage price is cheaper than a lot of the others i have looked through.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.