America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I'm sure this question was asked recently and the concensus was that bmi were the preferred carrier.

luci :wave
I am intending flying BA to Los Angeles airport ( LAX ). Arrives about 3pm, does anyone know how long it takes to get through immigration, collect checked cases, go through customs ? How long does it take to get over to terminal one ? Will 3 hours be enough time from landing to get to terminal 1 and check in to fly to Vegas or would four hours be safer ?
Have a choice of Southwestern or US air.....are they both good for the short flight to Las Vegas ? Thanks
BMI
No more BMI to Las Vegas from 2009 and no more BMI to Chicago 2009.

Details are on the home page of BMI

John
Yes nivsy posted about the bmi flights yesterday in the Flights forum.

I am absolutely sick! :bawl I was intending booking in January to fly to Vegas in May. :bawl I also have a ton of Diamond Club miles that I won't be able to use. They were as good as useless before as bmi have very few award flights, but it will be impossible to use them now.

Not sure what my options are now. If we opt for Virgin from Gatwick we have to rely on FlyBe, go down the night before and have a hotel to pay for on top of that. And FlyBe only have a 20kgs baggage allowance.

Looks like it will be back to a flight with 2 stops. Think I would prefer to fly to LAX and then just have a short hop from there rather than Chicago, Dallas, etc when you still have another 4 hours flying time.

How much can I expect to pay for 2 adults and 2 children in April 2010.

How far in advance can you book, I've had a quick look and most places only go to end of 2009.

Is it worth pricing Sanford as opposed to MCO.

Thanks
Scheduled flights are only available 330 days in advance so you would see prices in May 2009 for April 2010. However you may be able to get chartered fares.

Yes, I would say its worth pricing Sanford and also Tampa, where there are quite often better prices. Obviously SFB would be a charter and TPA would be indirect and scheduled.
I;m possibly going to Florida end of Feb 2010. I am staying with familly who have booked a villa and they are staying there for 6 weeks. Anyone know roughly how much flights are that time of year. I have found some with thomas cook for 400 each does that sound good?

Steve
If I fly to Vegas with US Airways via Chicago do I have to collect my bags and recheck them for the domestic flight, or do I leave them at Manchester and (hopefully!!) retreive them in Vegas? Only flown direct before.

Thanks Suzy
You need to clear Immigration and Customs at your first point of entry in the US. You will collect your luggage, clear Customs and then put your luggage back on a nearby belt or area for onward transit.

Cheers Luci - just looking at connection times - 1hr 50 mins should be ok if they will book you that way?

Suzy
That should be fine provided you are fairly near the front of the Immigration queue. Try and book seats near the front of the aircraft.

Do you clear immigration first or do you collect your bags then clear immigration?

Also, when checking in for your connecting flight will they hold you to the 40 minute rule they have in the uk or will they be a bit more flexible?
What 40 mins rule? :que

You will clear immigration first, then collect your luggage, clear customs and put your luggage back on the belt for the onward flight.

You won't "check in" for your onward flight as you will have been given your boarding cards for all sectors when you checked in in the UK. All you have to do is get to the gate.

Is there any such thing as cheap flights in July?
Is it better to take the chance and leave to the last minute for a good deal?
Anyone done the same?
Don't know about July but we did Birmingham to Toronto in 2007 at Easter for £199 with Air India.
Hi, im planning a flight from manchester (man) to orlando (mco) and would like to use a star alliance airline because i am in bmi diamond club. The two options i have got are with US airways via PHl or UA airlines via lhr and iad and im wondering if anyone could tell me which would be best as both airlines dont have great reviews.

Thanks
Shane
Not sure any of the airlines are better/worse than the others nowadays. I have flown both and don't see much difference between them. If you can get the itinerary you want at the price you want just choose whichever suits best. As far as the airports I much prefer Dulles to Philadelphia, but if the flight to PHL is direct from MAN, and the flight to IAD is via LHR then to me it's a no brainer, one less flight means so much less chance for delay, lost baggage etc.
For specifics as to which type of plane you will be on, DAZ on the airline page can probably tell you if there is a "better" one.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.