Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
I'd never even think of doing this! It's a bit like flying into Gatwick and then spending 3 hours or more driving up the moterway because you're staying in Newcastle. Why bother when you can fly direct? Any saving you make on the air fare has to be set against the extra fuel costs, the additional wear and tear on your nerves and potentially spending as long behind the wheel of the car as the actual flight took.

You'll also need to bear in mind that before you reach the motorway south, arriving at Lisbon means that you'll have to negotiate your way through the city and cross the Tagus river - not something to be contemplated lightly if there's a chance that you'll arrive in the late afternoon and hence just in time for the evening rush hour. Believe me - I've done it! We had no option because we were heading for a villa just south of Lisbon but arriving in Lisbon and having to negotiate the city, the local manic drivers and the bridge - and it wasn't even yet the evening rush - was a nightmare after an early start from Gatwick. We were knackered by the time we got to our destination and that was only an hour from the airport. The thought of heading for the Algarve in those conditions would be my idea of holiday hell!

SM
The Lisbon - Algarve motorway is a toll road. I don't what the cost is but you need to add that.
My hubby drove from Lisbon to Messines on the toll road 18 months ago and it cost him approx 25 euros Cheers Jayjan
Driving from Lisbon Airport to Lagos takes 3-4 hours by toll road depending on your speed and stops. You can add 1-2 hours if you don't use the toll road. Car hire is cheaper at Faro. Be aware that in Portugal there is usually a 750 euro deposit for accident damage despite CDW being included. To waive this usually costs at least 8 euros per day and still does not cover tyre or underside damage. If for 2 weeks or more it is usually cheaper to arrange in UK. Google for CDW
How much will the actual savings be?
Hi Mark, try http://www.economycarhire.com they are based in the UK their prices are all inclusive, no excess so if you or someone else bangs the car or it is stolen you wont have to pay anything, they also cover an extra driver for free as long as they are named when booking. This does not cover tyres, underside of car or windscreen. Have a look at their site for terms & conditions. They also have a pick up point at Lisbon Airport. You will have to leave your credit card details on pick up but this for petrol, just make sure you fill the tank back up to its original reading when you return it. Cheers Jayjan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.