Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Foodstuffs
8 Posts
Shirleyh

Hi if you plan on taking crisps ,cereals etc pack them in your hold luggage that's what we did last year, we took them for the kids, but just be careful with the luggage allowance as they can hammer you if your over

We will be taking cereals this year too as it helps with the kids breakfast in the mornings as they don't like bacon etc
Shirley .. as far as airline/airport security is concerned, the main restrictions are on liquid related products in hand luggage. Solid foodstuffs are fine in hand luggage. Liquid or solid foodstuffs are fine in hold luggage. However, it is always worth checking on any food import restrictions in the country you are visiting, although I doubt if any of the items you have mentioned would be restricted.

More on hand luggage restrictions can be found via the link in my signature below.

David :wave
Thanks for your help. I'll have to pack all the clothes first to see how we're doing on weight :D
why waste baggage space, buy fresh fruit/veg/salad stuff from the local supermarkets if you want beans English sausages, bacon,breakfast cereals all can be found at a premium [but not expensive considering its imported] Lays crisps are my favourite

wiz
Thanks Wiz,
We've never taken our own food before. It's just that when we were in Costa del Sol at Easter we were shocked at the prices they were charging for stuff at the supermarket - even tomatoes and the like. Hence my post wondering if there's anything at all that will be cheaper to take with us than to buy over in Crete. So do you reckon that most things over there will be reasonably priced? We're not fussed on labels. Local brands will do us fine. I'm talking about basics for a bit of breakfast and lunch on the balcony etc.
Last time we were in Greece we were in Santorini 2 years ago and thought prices really reasonable, it's just that Torremolinos was a real eye opener at Easter and I'm starting to worry that Crete will be the same this year.
Thanks again.
Hi shirley .. as you have info now regarding airline/airport security, I will transfer this to the Crete forum for you so that you may be able to pick up some info on local prices. Perhaps if you specify the area you are staying in, someone may be able to recommend some shops to you.

David :wave
Thanks David,

I actualy posted in the flight thread to find out about the restrictions as you said. I also posted a similar thread entitled Supermarket food in the Crete forum and have stated that we'll be staying on the Stalis/Malia beach road. The two topics are tending to merge into one. Sorry if this has caused a problem.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.