Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
What airline/s are you using? The luggage answer may depend on this.

Assuming the main Frankfurt airport the city is very easily reachable by train.
How long a stopover am or pm and which airline? If it is Lufthansa your luggage will be checked all the way through. Christmas Eve in Germany is the main day for celebration of the Christmas holiday unlike the UK so just about everything closes at 12noon. Shops , cafes and restaurants all close up to enable everyone to get home to spend the afternoon and evening with their families, so unless your stopover is in the morning you will find it hard to find anything much to do. As stated in the previous post the airport is not far out of the city and is easily reached by train.
Without wishing to pooh-pooh your normally sensible idea to explore during your stopover, might I suggest that the airport will be full of folk going on holiday for Christmas. This has many possible repercussions:

* Checking in again/queueing for security will take a heck of a lot longer than usual

* Local transport will be full and perhaps less punctual than usual

* As Judith points out, many of the shops and monuments will be closed

* You may not be able to go back Landside if you are officially 'in transit'.

* Flight times may be subject to change at short notice because of the
number of flights departing in a limited time slot

I would suggest that you accept your waiting time with patience and prepare for it with some Euros in your pocket to buy a meal, (or bring something special from home like sushi or turkey and stuffing sandwiches, mince pies, yummy chocs etc) and a good book or a 'travel version game' such as Scrabble or Monopoly to while away your time, and dream of all that sunshine and warmth ahead of you!

Have a great Christmas!
Thanks everyone for your quick responses.

We arrive in the airport 1315 and then fly out again 2220. The first was an unexpected flight change of several hours, not a cunning plan.

Flying with Lufthansa. :D
I see now that if we do leave the airport snow is predicted :roll: . How will I get my entire wardrobe on the plane :roll:
Hi everybody!

I will also have a break in Frankfurt, between flights; I will have 10 hours to spend there, so I was hoping to take as much advantage as possible of that and see something interesting and unique for that city.
Can anybody suggest anything?
For know, I know only about the famous Cathedral of st Bartholomeus, but I don't know how to get there from airport.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
:wink:
Taniusha

Check out http://www.alltravelgermany.com this site has a Frankfurt page, with quite bit of info. Two other sites which might help are http://www.Frankfurtcitytourist.info/ and http://www.onlinefrankfurtguide.info/

I have been to Frankfurt to conferences a few years ago but really only remember some good restaurants and excellent shops. Have used the airport though a few times and usually get lost as it is huge.
Can anyone please advise if we can book into an airport lounge at Frankfurt, and how we go about doing this? We are flying with Lufthansa, economy.
Thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.