Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
You'd be surprised how many languages the locals can speak - often they can converse fluently in English, German, French and Italian, not to mention Russian! The Arabic spoken in Tunisia is a certain dialect unique to Tunisia (Tunisian Arabic) which is very much influenced by French, though 'pure' formal French itself isn't spoken much (and is seen as a bit 'posh!!). You'd get more appreciation from locals for attempting a little Tunisian Arabic (e.g. greetings and key phrases) than speaking French to be honest, as it would be almost as unnatural for them to converse everyday in French as it would in English anyway. :)
Thanks again, Zahra. I'd best buy an Arabic phrasebook! :cheers
depending on who you are speaking to, we went in a couple of taxis where the driver did not speak english, but as french is their second language, they asked me if I spoke french, which I do but only from school days, french is, I found, the best way to ask for things if english isnt really understood. It is nice to have a little arabic. If taking taxis, it is worth learning the phrase slow down please, in french, we didnt have a problem, but read of a few bad experiences. :)
Of course they would appreciate it when you attempt to speak a few words of Arabic, but French is definately the second language spoken and several newspapers are printed in the french language, also the telephone operators (on tape) answer in arabic or french and the children greet you in french, so when you're there you can polish up your french I would say.
I agree there Briar! I took an arabic phrasebook with me, and as I had lived in Saudi, thought I would practice my arabic :) Should have taken the French phrasebook definitely!!!!!
Arabic phrasebooks are of little use in Tunisia really as their dialect is quite different - you'll find different dialects spoken in Egypt, Morocco, Libya, Algeria etc. which stem from more 'formal' arabic but are quite distinct. The 'Rough Guide to Tunisia' is a really good guidebook with maps etc. and a section of useful phrases in both Tunisian and French (with phonetic pronunciations). You'll also find a few key words and phrases posted in some previous threads on this site. As has been said previously, you'll more than likely get by in English and/or French, but attempting a bit of Tunisian will impress more! I've even had Tunisians (those trying the hard-sell!) speaking to me in Welsh would you believe!!? Not bad given that most of the population of Wales can't speak it!!! :D
I definitely agree with Zahra. Most Tunisians are fluent in many languages but usually appreciate our attempts to speak their language. I was amused however in Sousse last month when I refused in Tunisian to enter a shop to have a look and got the response "Everyone's speaking Arabic now!!!" :lol: French is useful though, as it's the first foreign language the children learn at school. Incidentally children in primary school are not allowed to speak Tunisian Arabic except in private and are forced to learn the classic version.
My husband was in a Tunisian clinic for 8 days and found his schoolboy French extremely useful for communicating with the staff who were not in constant contact with tourists and spoke arabic with a bit of French.

Patka
I wouldn't discount the usefulness of a Arabic phrasebook. Yes Tunisian is one of several versions of Arabic often mixed with French; but Tunisian will recognise MSA (modern standard arabic) which is what you find in phrasebooks. A phrase book can help with various basics like numbers. I now mix Arabic, French, English and Spanish in any one conversation and am usually understood.
Does anyone know if particular resorts in Tunisa attract more French tourists than other resorts ? Are there hotels that are aimed at the French tourist ?

Doe
wouldnt have thought so in particular, we had all nationalities at our hotel including russian
Thanks for the reply. Thought I might get a chance to practice my French a bit plus thought the food might be better :oops: than in hotels offered to Brits as the French are so into their food.
I've never come across many French people in Sousse or PEK though plenty of other nationalities. I have a French friend however who has been to Tunisia even more than me but she usually went further South, round Zarzis or Djerba.
Hi aslemma,
My thinking was that because it was a former French Colony they might have chosen to holiday there having had past connections with the Country and my convoluted way of thinking turned to food i'm afraid. :)
Doe
I have found, that unless you go looking for British food, which we dont, it tends to be a lot of tunisian influence when eating so you should be fine.
My French is pretty good, so it's nice to know I can use it as a back up when I go, but does anyone have any key phrases in arabic that might come in handy? I just want to learn a few basics - it'd make me feel slightly more comfortable and I think it comes across as friendly and they'd appreciate it too! Thanks

Kim :)
Hi Kim, I've put these on quite a few times but managed to resurrect them for you and add a few more:

(All spelt phonetically) How much - kaddesh? Too expensive - gahli barcha; I've got no money - ma fish faloos; May I have - attini; Coffee - Kawah; Without milk - blairshee hellib; Butter - zibteh; Please - min fahtlik; Thank you - shokran; No - la; Yes - naam (or aye); Hello - aslemma; Goodbye - bislemma; Good morning - sbarkia; Good evening - messa el Khir; Good night - Ala Khir; How are you? - Lebes? (reply - lebes Hamdullah (I'm fine thanks be to Allah) or lebes, winti? I'm fine, and you?; Sorry or excuse me - sahmahni; Go away - imshi; Srop bothering me - metta keesh maiya; (put these together so: Metta keesh maiya min fahtlik, imshi - stop bothering me please, go - always works a treat I wouldn't dream of implying you would ever need one, but the word for an ashtray is "taktooka" i.e. attini taktooka min fahtlik - may I have an ashtray please :wink:

Here endeth the lesson for today and I hope you find it useful.
Cheers much! :tup

I'm off to Hammamet from August 27th til Sept 3rd - means I still have a while to wait but hey, that means longer to brush up on my useful phrases, haha!

Kim :hyper
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.