Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Friguia Park
34 Posts
we went there a couple of years ago, and found it to be very good, well worth the TD25 price tag on the excursion, although it may well be cheaper to go by taxi. you can visit their web site at:
http://www.friguia-park.com
Thoroughly enjoyed our JMC excursion from Skanes to Friguia Park last August. However, the journey was quite a long one with all the pick ups and I felt that the time there (I think it was about 2 1/2 hours but can't be too sure) could have been longer to do the park justice. Would definately go again if I had the opportunity but would probably go by taxi. It was very hot in August and there is little shade as you walk around so do take a hat if its hot (wish I had!). There was a fabulous display of drummers and dancers - worth taking a video camera. There is also a cafe with a stunning view.
Regards, Caro
Thanks to all - we've just got back from tunisia and did go to to Friguia Park. It cost 70 dinar (approx £35) for a taxi from Yasmine Hammamet (Hotel Mehari). We were picked up at 10.00 a.m, got there about about 10:30 and left at 3.00 p.m. This we felt gave us about the right amount of time. We can thoroughly recommend the place - including the camel ride at 2TD per person. The animals looked well cared for and had plenty of space. The seal lion show was good fun. The taxi driver brought us back via a local crafts "village" and this added to what was a good day.
Having read the good reports on this, we decided to visit. Arranged for a taxi to pick us up at our hotel (Les Citronniers in Hammamet) rather than the organised tour. Agreed a price before hand of 40TD (under £20.00).
The drive took about 35 minutes and it cost 5TD each to get in. It is well worth a visit. We didnt have to stick to a time limit so wondered around slowly. Everything is well signposted and the animals are well looked after and you can get close to some of them. The camel ride at 2TD was worth ten times that if only for the laugh! Heard several people back in the hotel complaining about their organised trip saying that there wasnt enough time and that the price they paid had included a meal but they took ages to get their food (the coach drivers got theirs straight away!). We paid for coffee and Pizza and it was reasonable. Would recommend you visit for half a day especially if you have children.

Starty
Hi Starty
Sounds like you had a great time! We too are hoping to make a trip to Friguia Park from Hammamet in September. Would you be able to give me some more info? Did you book your taxi through the hotel or did you organise it yourself? Did you have to negotiate the fare or was it fixed? And when did you pay the driver (ie Did you pay anything upfront or did you just sort things out when you arrived back at your hotel)?

Thanks

Corinne
Corrine
You will enjoy it especially if you have children (although we were just us two).
It is possible to book a taxi through the hotel but we went with someone that we know. I have used a few different drivers depending on the number of people going. Taxi's will take 4 people but if you need a larger vehicle I also have the number of a good, English speaking driver who can take up to 7 in airconditioned comfort. Let me know if you want me to PM the details. Even though we went with someone we knew, we still negotiated and agreed the price before we left and we paid when we got dropped back at our hotel. You need to be quite specific about what you want to do, where you want to go and how long - (approx.) We once went on a trip round Cap Bon - hired the taxi for the day for 4 of us, and this was a good day out. We went to 3 or 4 different places, had lunch and stopped at the roadside to buy fresh fruit. Going on the organised trips is often more expensive but if you DIY it can be much more interesting and you get to spend more (or less) time at each place.
Hope this helps, Starty
Hi Starty
Thanks for answering my questions so quickly. It will just be the two of us when we go in September so a normal taxi should be fine. We've had some awful tour operator trips in the past so are trying to organise trips ourselves as much as possible. It sounds like we will have no problems getting to FP by ourselves.

Thanks again

Corinne
trying to get into the website that was posted for the park so that i can see if it may well be worth a visit. can any one tell me the correct website for this please :P
thanx will definately take the kids to this then
muriel
Friguia Park:

We hailed a taxi outside our hotel and asked the driver how much it would cost to take us to the park, wait for us for an hour or so and then bring us back. We expected him to say between 35 and 40 dinar, so were happy when he confirmed that it would be around 35 dinar in total. We were also pleased to discover that he intended to charge us for the whole trip based on the fare on his meter (so we could be certain he wasn't trying to pull a fast one!). The drive to Friguia Park from Hammamet took about 30 mins and I think we arrived there at about 11am. The park costs 5 dinar each to get in (may have been cheaper for children but I'm not sure). They give you a little map at the gate and then you are free to wander around at your own pace.

The park has been set up mainly to ensure the conservation of African species and the animals are all in big enclosures and looked well cared for. We spent nearly two hours walking round and really enjoyed it. The baby tigers were so cute! It was possible to take a camel ride for only a few dinar and there were also donkey rides for smaller children. There is a souvenir shop and a few cafes but not enough to really hold your attention for more than a few hours. When we came out of the park, our driver was waiting for us and we were back at the hotel in time for lunch. The final cost was 38 dinar - so we paid him 40. The total cost of transport and entrance fees was 25 dinar each, the same price that we would have paid on the tour operator's excursion, but without the early start and having to pick up guests from other hotels.

The main advice I would give to anyone else who wants to try this trip DIY would be:

Find out what time the park opens from your rep and then aim to get there not long after it opens to avoid the midday sun.
Take bottled water with you so you don't have to buy it while you're there.
You can buy reasonably priced ice-lollies at the kiosk near the lions and tigers.
Make sure you get a map at the entrance (Avez vous un plan?)
Might sound a little silly but where is the park located? I will be staying in Sousse.
Thanks
Sabrina
Also be careful when saying Friguia Park. We jumped into a taxi and asked to be taken to Friguia Park, 20 minutes later we ended up at the Flora Park Hotel in Yamine.
The Driver could not understand a word of English, we even done animal impressions to make him understand-still no joy.
In the end we just got out and found a little tourist office which was lucky as we found the Park does not open on Mondays which is what day it was, so we would have wasted taxi fare going.
The park is at Bouficha - just off the main road to Tunis. I reckon it would probably be about an hour from Sousse.

We took a leaflet with 'Friguia Park' printed on it in English and Arabic to show to the driver in case he didn't understand what we were talking about but we didn't need it. You could also try saying 'la parque des animaux' (animal park) to clarify where you wanted to go.
does anyone know how much a taxi would cost to the park from sousse? and do you just ask the taxi driver to wait? thank you
go with your tour op rep trips.

As its alot easier and more information etc..

good time
Travelling to pek 23th July staying at the Kanta apartments can anyone tell me how far ,prices etc to the park. Haddy.
Hi

Which travel company are you going with we just got back from Sousse and went with Thomson, they do a visit to Friguia Park with a meal of an evening.

Its was a very rushed look around the park you got about 2 hours to look around and be back at the entrance to get ahead of the queue for the meal.In the park you can have camel rides or donkey/horse rides for around 10 dinars for 30 mins, there are some animals out for you to stroke photograph which are friendly.

Park is great drinks/Ice creams very cheap, souvenirs alot better priced than pek/Sousse too.

Meal was ok you get 1 large bowl of chicken per table of 6 theres 6 pieces in it be careful of fellow people taking 2 :rofl, If you are vegetarian expect to pay another fee to get a different meal of chips and omelette, chips are included for children but make sure you ask for them as soon as you sit down otherwise the waiters might not get you any.

Show that was put on while the meal was being served is good aslong as you are on a table that can see.

Our rep did say that he was asking for a Morning visit to the park that might be better than going for this packge they do at the moment.

You will have your photo taken by the park on acouple of occasions this are 4/5 dinars to buy and are usually good photos.

Hope this helps. On a side note the Lights and Lazers show is great worth every dinar just remember to take a jacket as its cool there at night.
Was the Lights and Lazers Show actually at Friguia Park Ormmoth or was it at the Medinat Alzhara? I've been to that one and it is superb and well worth a visit.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.