Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Fuel Strike
12 Posts
Just had an email from the car hire company.
They say they still have fuel at the moment.
I hope it gets sorted out soon.
Am sure the hire car company will provide a full tank (check their details) that should give you plenty of time to fill up as you are out and about on your travels.

Try not to worry am sure you'll have a lovely time :cheers
Thanks .
It's hard not to worry .
We are self catering and have 3 small children with us and it's just been on the news.
The markets will be empty of food by the end of the week.
if it carries on.
Everyone is panic buying.

I was so looking forward to this holiday. :cry
I'm sure something will have to be sorted out in the next few days. There still is petrol in most places, but I had to queue 20 mins for it yesterday, and some (but not all) supermarkets are running out of fresh goods (hardly any fruit & veg in my local one tonight). Will update tomorrow or Thurs when I should have more info.
Liz
Thank you so much for the information.
It wouldn't be so bad if it was just me and my husband we would just get on with it .
But our grand children are only tiny.
I would really appreciate ,like so many others an update.
Thank you
We're off on Saturday as well for 2 weeks - halfway up a mountain a 1 hour drive from Malaga. I was hopeful of having enough fuel to get to Gibraltar, but, I see things are even worse there!
Check the Gib Chronicle regularly.....they seem to have very up to date coverage of the situation on both sides of the frontier.
http://www.chronicle.gi/
UPDATE 12/06/2008 1900: Seems things are slowly getting back to normal. BBC reporting 88% of truck drivers are back to work.
It seems that some drivers are back at work - there was a delivery to my local Mercadona supermarket of bread, dairy products and some fruit/veg, but the smaller shops don't seem to have any problems. There's not much met or fish around at the moment, but this may change before the weekend. You won't go hungry, but my find that resturants and beach bars have a very limited menu. The bars are still getting beer deliveries :cheers
As far as petrol/diesel is concerned, there are several garages which have sold out, but the service area on the A7 toll road near Benalmadena had petrol yesterday and there wasn't much of a queue. The panic buying seems to hve stopped, both with petrol and food.

I'll post again tomorrow if there's any more news.
Liz
Thank you again .
This is very kind of you to post this information.
As long as there is enough food for the children and we can get from the airport I'm sure we will be fine.
I live in Mijas and the queues at the petrol stations have almost gone, the markets and local shops have more or less everything as it is local stuff. Supermarkets are hit worse, panic buying cleared all the milk and meat off the shelves but problem is not as bad as you thought. Hardly any fresh fish around but that's all.
Thank you for this information.
At least this year we are in the centre of things in Calahonda.
We have stayed miles from anywhere before and had to travel to look for shops etc.
We have a 4 day strike here in the U.K starting today .
The Shell petrol tanker drivers.
There has been panic buying and queues at some petrol stations so we have had to make sure we have enough fuel to get to and from the ariport at this end.
You wouldn't believe it.

Hopefuly this is what we will be doing next week :sun2

Thanks everyone. :tup
I'm back.
No problems with any shortages at all.
Although we did notice the price rises on almost everything from last time we were there.
Seems to be everywhere.

It was so hot for June.
Around 35 - 40 degs everyday.
Not dropping below 23-25 at night.
A bit to much for me.

Towards the end of the 2 weeks we were all feeling a bit drained and tired from lack of sleep.
But we did have a great holiday.

Just booked the next one. ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.