Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Due to travel to Gambia in March and really excited. Have friends that have been and know what to expect, and there is some really informative stuff on this site.
Would like to ask a few questions thou, any feedback would be welcomed.

Current prices for day to day things?

If we were to stay in the capital or Cape Point how far/how much would it cost to get to Kololi in a taxi? Cannot decide where to stay.

Been given all sorts of different advice re: jabs. What is needed and which are the best anti malarials to take?

Any other relevent info would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation
Hi Kayla, We're off to Kotu on friday,we stayed in Banjul 6 weeks ago,I wouldn't really recommend it simply because there is not really a lot there so it works out more expensive,also the hotel hiked up the prices by an enormous amount because there was no competition.I'm not sure of the cost of taxi, as we had a guide recommended to us by my sister who had used him..when she was there and he took us everywhere in his jeep(for a fraction of the cost of the organised tours, we got to see alot more of the Gambia as he took us "off the beaten track"(quite literally!! sometimes). He's brilliant and a lovely bloke.He's picking us up from the airport on friday.I have his telephone number and email addy if you are interested(he is an official guide)We chose Kotu this time as we want somewhere not as busy as Kololi but not quite as quiet as Banjul,also if we want a huge choice of eateries and bars,it's only a short taxi trip to Kololi.I'll post more when we get back re prices etc.You'll love it in Gambia we were a bit apprehensive when we went at first,but it must be good as we're off again after only 6 wks.!! :D
HI ,The tourist areas of gambia can be expensive ,churchills on the road ro palma rima beach has good meals at around 4-7 pounds per head,try various eaterys in/ out of tourist area,you can eat well and reasonably,shop around and try, it will make you want to go back,cheers maxie,(off for 7 weeks soon ) 6 days to go yipee :D :D
I wouldn't recommend staying in Banjul either - you'll be rather out on a limb. We nearly did but chose Kololi in the end - and werer glad we had once we got there.
hi corrine a school called the Badala Nursery school in Faji Kunda is a deserving school as they are not funded by the state or any other charity funding only local and tourist donations. the person you need to contact is Lamin Marong and school contact no is 392853 and will go absolutly crazy to see anyone from england and they take you around the school and the children danc and sing for toy it really is very moving have a great time i know you will woody
Hi we are thinking of booking a holiday first week in March. first time to the gambia. After both having an awful experience in Bulgaria last summer I am a bit worried about the food. Can anyone suggest a good hotel ( not the kairiba) as too expensive. We would like to know whether it is best to go half board or I would really like it if someone could recommend a good restaurant/cafe/bar to eat at regularly. We are not fussy eaters, but the food in the bulgarian hotels was so bad that we are weary of having the same experience in hotels in the Gambia. Hope someone can help.
also does anyone know if the Palma rima is within walking distance of Kololi? thanks
How funny - we have just booked to Kotu in April and have just had 3 wonderful holidays in Bulgaria! Where did you stay, we were in Albena but did visit Golden Sands and Sunny Beach and did not enjoy.

We were going to stay at the Palma Rima but when we went into the travel agents could not decide between Palma Rima or Sunset. The lady serving happened to have just finished being a rep out there for 3 years and despite the fact the Sunset Beach was cheaper she said it was a nicer hotel in a better location. She said she thought the Palma Rima reminded her of a prison camp, although it did have a big pool.
HI .malarone was making me ill doctor has prescribed LARIUM for 2 weeks before I go and four weeks after I return ,says I must take all to prevent malaria,
beware doxycycline its used in treatment for mrsa I would use it little as possible for this reason,post from docs receptionist (I think ) was good,sensible doctors at last cheers maxie :D :!:
Yes - everybody seems to saythe same thing about the Palma rima- huge pool but too far out of Kololi. we are trying to decide between the Senegambia hotel and the Mansae Beach resort. The first one is a bit more expensive , but quite good reports for the Mansae. We stayed in the Royal hotel in Golden Sands in bulgaria and the food was dire. We foolishly went all inclusive and we both got very ill. Havent been on holiday since, so I am being extra careful this time, doing plenty of research. any advice would be helpful
I would choose between Senagambia and Palma Rima. We have stayed in both and for the difference in price would always pick the Palma Rima.
I think the beach in that area is far better. Also I would always go b a & b coz the restaurants in that area are fantastic.
We stayed in the Kariaba Hotel, it was fantastic, and yes the food is good in all the restaurants in Kololi
Thanks, have just been reading some reports that say the Senegambia is being renovated in places at the moment, does anybody know if its going to be like a bomb site? pool closed etc? Also some reports saying some good music bars in resort- reggae/ and R&B. So cant be that quiet, any thoughts?
we are going on the 6th and staying at the sunset beach in cape point.never stayed here before but have been to the gambia and its a loverly place if you can look past the poverty and the bumsters.
last time we stayed at badela park and although the staff were good it reminded me off prisoner cell block H...
i can strongly recommend going on the roots tour. :D
Suo, yes there was a little bit of noise, banging like hammering when we were there in December, but we stayed next door in the Kairaba Hotel which is absolutely excellent, so much so we came home and booked again for next Dec.
susanf, we are going to the Kairiba in May, anything we should be careful of at the hotel, or any tips on the staff or hotel itself.
We just loved the hotel, the staff are excellent, all I can say is if you haven't been before, as we hadn't you need a few £1 coins from the airport to the hotel, one for the one that carries your case to the bus one for the one that puts it in the bus, another for the driver, another from bus to reception and then another from, reception to room. You soon get the hang of it, then its Dalasi after that.

The food in the hotel is excellent as it is in Kololi itself, we never had a bad meal all week that was 14 good ones. Again you have to get used to when you go out of the hotel there are always guides wanting to help you, just a polite no does if you don't need them.

Baks the number one Taxi driver is the best taxi driver we have had, trips with him are safe and so interesting. Just ask for him.
Thank you for that, too many things to ask!! :D
I have just booked my appointment with the docs to get my malaria tablets and she said we have to have to have yellow fever at £45 each. I haven't read this anywhere before, can anyone help me on this or advice?

I know we have to pay for malaria tablets (Malorone) which obviously is fine as there is no point taking the risk but also understand these to cost about £90 for a two weeks supply each.
£45 is cheap for yellow fever where i work they charge £60 malarone is expensive but you can get a private prescription from your gp and get it at a chemist might be wise to shop around. yellow fever is not necessary for gambia but they do recommend it
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.