Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
:) look forward to parts 2 and 3
Me too
This looks like it's going to be one of the best :D
if not one of the best one of the longest but i like a good read anyhow.
Think I will save this to read and print off with me to take on the plane. Great report.
Part Two

Days Three to Twenty-Two

We knew this trip would be different to those before. This time we had four younger people with us - an 11 year-old, an 18 year-old and two 20 year-olds. We soon confirmed that they were happiest on the beach, in the pool, in the games room or taking short day trips to exploring other beaches.
We hired three mopeds to get around the local area. We hired them from one of the many places in Benaulim; luckily ours did have the yellow plates. We avoided going onto or beyond the National Highway and used taxis for a few longer trips. Often we had a taxi and three mopeds in convoy.
Despite our apartments being equipped for self-catering we couldn't resist eating out most of the time and ate very well. Two of us did get the delli-belly with stomach cramps, we have some suspicions but cannot point the finger at any one likely source. All I'll say is we believe prawns may have been involved.

Eateries we used. Our favourites are marked by **
Benaulim: Malibu** (the garden restaurant down the Royal Palms lane), Dinhas**.
Benaulim Beach: Johny's Fisherman**, Raj Mahal**, Domnic, Leonara's, Pedro's, Johncy's,
Colva: Bob's, 49-er's, Mickey's,
Candolim Beach: Bobby's Shack**
Margao: Big G Store (rooftop).
Cansaulim: Friends
Cavelossim: River View**

As on previous trips there were not many mosquitoes around the Benaulim area - just a few - some of us did get the odd bite. We were initially cautious about the swamp area between the back of the Royal Palms and the beach but it didn't seem to be a problem. One of us seems to suffer more than the others and he had a whole rash of bites on his legs on one occasion. When we went up north we did notice that there were more mosquitoes around there than on previous trips.

One of our number wanted some dental work, so, following advice on here, we contacted Dr Ambert. We just turned up at his Margao clinic and were instantly given an appointment for later the same day. We saw him first at his clinic in nearby Margao, but most of the work was done during two trips to his Calangute clinic where he has more facilities at present. She was very happy with the results and we can now be added to those who recommend him.

ATMs: Benaulim has a Bank of Baroda ATM that only accepts a very limited range of cards and often doesn't work, so most of our cash came from ICICI, UTI or HDFC ATMs in Colva, Margao, Fatorda and Calangute.
On Day 20 we stopped at an ATM in Calangute. The ATM rejected my card as I think I may have already used the daily limit. Ten minutes later I got a call on my mobile from my bank in the UK saying they were detecting high useage of the card in India and that had raised alarms of suspicious transactions. I assured them that I was in India and they unblocked the card straight away.
We found a very good laundry, Annie, at the Selma Guest House along the road south of the Royal Palms.

Internet: Plently of places with good connections around Benaulim. Mainly used New Horizons and GK Travel as well as the more expensive one at the Royal Palms.

Power: Power cuts on most days, the Royal Palms has back-up generators and they would cut in after a minute or two. Many shops and restaurants now have either generators or batteries and invertors. While in Palolem they had a power cut all day. Towards the end of the afternoon those on batteries started to loose power from flat batteries - internet shop lost its' batteries just as I before I finished a long e-mail (it isn't just my trip reports that are long).

Day 3. The excitement of the days ahead caused everyone to be awake and ready to go at 4am!! We had to wait for breakfast and the pool to open. We spent the morning by the pool, and then took a stretched tuc-tuc to Colva (initially just for the ATM). We then took a walk along Colva Beach Road, had lunch at a shack and started to walk back to Benaulim along the beach. We got into a conversation with some locals who offered to take us back to Benaulim in their boat. As soon we set off in this small motorboat we hit a large wave, which soaked us all. When we got back I had to hang out to dry all my cash from the ATM.

Day 4. Around Benaulim and Colva by day, then to Colva Monday Night Market.
Day 5. Around Benaulim, with trips to Fatorda, near Margao to arrange dental work with Dr Ambert.
Day 6. Trip by three mopeds and one taxi to the Haathi Mahal in Cavelossim
Day 7. Some go on the three mopeds to Cabo Da Rama, while the others laze about, organise laundry and check out our emails.
Day 8. Trip by three mopeds and one taxi along the coast road to Palolem.
Day 9. Some go to Calangute by taxi to Dr Ambert's clinic, then a late lunch in Candolim.
Day 10. Late afternoon trip by three mopeds and a taxi to Chandreshwar Hill and the Chandreshwar Bhutnath Temple. Waited there for the sunset view from the hill but were a little disappointed due to haze out at sea.
Day 11. Lazy day in Benaulim, trip to Dr Ambert at Fatorda, then by mopeds and tuc-tuc to Colva Monday Night Market.
Day 12. Not a lot.
Day 13. We had decided to go to Dudhsagar waterfalls, but over breakfast changed our plans to go to Anjuna Market. Just as we were getting in two taxis the kids decided they wanted another day by the pool, so only three of us went to Anjuna. On the return we stopped for a meal at Bobby's Shack in Candolim. Had a long journey back as the National Highway was at near gridlock south of Panjim. We took around 30 minutes just to cross the Zuari Bridge. The heavy traffic was due to the One Day Cricket in Fatorda and from many Valentine's Night events.
Day 14. Some by taxi to Dr Ambert in Calangute, others off exploring on the mopeds.
Day 15. Two taxis to Colem than jeep to Dudhsagar Falls. On my previous two trips we had travelled via Ponda and the National Highway, but this time the taxi drivers took a different route via Margao, Chandor, Curchorem and Sanvordem. For several miles around Sanvordem the roads were full of nose-to-tail lorries bringing iron ore from the quarries to barge and train loading points at Sanvordem.
We had considered going on the local train from Majorda to Colem (Kulem), but this would have meant an early start and either a rushed stay there or a long wait for the train back. We also did think of going by taxi and returning by train but when we got back to Colem there would have been a long wait for the train. Each taxi cost 1200 rupees, the train would have been 24 rupees each (return). The main Indian Railways website doesn't usually bring up these local trains between Vasco Da Gama/Margao and Colem(Kulem), mainly because they are non-reservable local trains and the website is mainly for reservations enquiries. To find them you have to search on Train Enquiry or Station Departures. They are train numbers 371SW to 376SW.
We will now leave our train trip for next time when we plan to take one of the few longer distance trains that go beyond Colem. That way we can to get to ride on the line that crosses to waterfall by bridge and up through the hills to Castle Rock or Londa Junction.
Day 16. Afternoon in Margao, with one taxi and three mopeds, for dentist, optician, mobile phone repair and general shopping.
Day 17. Day on mopeds exploring south beaches.
Day 18. Morning trip on two mopeds to Margao opticians, then exploring coast in the Majorda and Cansaulim area, visit to Majorda station.
Day 19. Some on mopeds to Cavelossim for fishing trip by boat. Later another shopping trip by taxi to Margao.
Day 20 (My Birthday). Two taxis to Anjuna Market. Then evening birthday meal in Candolim with our own fireworks and cake at Bobby's Shack. Walked along the beach to say (maybe) goodbye to the River Princess.
Day 21. More south beach exploring by mopeds.
Day 22. Day at Cavelossim, evening meal by the river.

Part Three follows
Nice report Geoff, glad to hear you liked the River View thats one of our favorites too :)
Thanks for some more inspirations for trips, will definately give the Big G rooftop a try, you must get a good view of Magao from there.
I too have had many a sunset ruined by the dreaded Goan Haze :cry:
:) good reading where's the Big G rooftop is it the large dept store? (I know on the roof :wink: )
p.s. River View our favourite spot for lunch ah 9 sleeps till we leave Scotland 8)
will definately give the Big G rooftop a try, you must get a good view of Magao from there.

Fairly good view but most of the surrounding buildings are the same sort of height, except for one direction where the hill to the north east of town is. I'll post some photos sometime soon.

where's the Big G rooftop is it the large dept store?

Yes it's the Big G dept store. Part of the restaurant is enclosed, the north side is open with a few tables. We were there late afternoon and were the only people there. The menu is vegitarian.
Part Three

Days Twenty-Three/Four
Oh dear, sad day, time to go home. We checked out as is required by 10am and went for a final breakfast at the Malibu. Then a quick run to the shops for more last minute shopping before setting off in two taxis for Dabolim. We were now running short of cash so got the taxis to stop on the way at the Colva ATM. At Dabolim domestic check-in was quick and Jet Airways were again able to check us through onto the BA flight from Mumbai to Heathrow including issuing boarding passes and seat allocations. This time we were ahead of the others checking in so we were able to get seats together on both flights.
There was a little confusion over the baggage process, the Jet Airways website says that through checked baggage should be claimed from the belt at Mumbai Domestic and then handed over to their staff at that terminal. In November the check-in desk at Dabolim said that we would have to collect our bags at the International Terminal. On that occasion the arriving domestic flight was diverted to another part of the domestic terminal and staff there told us that we would not have to collect and re-check-in our bags at all. This time they told us at Dabolim that we would collect and re-check-in the bags at the Domestic terminal, but again, upon arrival there, we were diverted to the other part of the domestic terminal and staff there confirmed that we would not have to do anything.

With over 11 hours between flights at Mumbai we decided to take break away from the airport. Our initial plan had been to take taxis to Juhu Beach, but given the amount of time available we decided at the last minute to go into central Mumbai. At the Jet Airways desk in the Domestic Terminal we mentioned that we would be taking a trip out and they warned us to beware that the traffic was worse than normal with roadworks. So we took three tuc-tucs to Santa Cruz station and the train from there to Churchgate. The trains run every few minutes and cost us 156 rupees each for first class returns (about a tenth of that in second class). The trains were not too crowded. Yes there were people hanging off the sides near the doors, but people do that as a way of cooling off, deeper inside there were seats available. We then had a wander around the area ending up with a meal in the Colabra district. By 8.30pm we were ready to go back to the airport. So we returned to Churchgate for a little more shopping and to get the train back. Again we got a train within minutes after making doubly sure that we were on the correct train as only the slow trains stop at Santa Cruz. We had considered travelling on to Vile Pale station as that seems to be nearer the International Terminal, but decided to get off at Santa Cruz where we knew there should be taxis and tuc-tucs available. Upon arrival at Santa Cruz the first line of tuc-tucs refused to take us to the airport without giving any reason. We found another tuc-tuc stand and again the first driver refused. Eventually we found three that were willing to go - for a price, 100 rupees. Once we got on the main road we realised why they had been reluctant to take us, the traffic was solid for miles and seemed worse than normal. After quite some time in traffic I arrived at the International Terminal and soon after the second tuc-tuc arrived, but no sign of the third one. We searched the whole frontage of the International Departure building for the missing three from our group, and even checked the arrivals area, but they were nowhere to be found. After 40 anxious minutes the missing three turned up in another tuc-tuc. Their original driver had become "lost" and then had insisted on taking them to the Domestic Terminal. Fortunately they had realised where they were and took another tuc-tuc to the International Terminal (they couldn't use the internal shuttle bus as they didn't have their boarding passes or tickets to get into the terminal).
Once we were all gathered together we got to British Airways check-in just after it opened at 10pm and quickly went through Immigration so we could rest on the reclined chairs in the departure lounge. I noticed that even since November the departure lounge has improved with many more catering outlets than before.
Then it was just a boring old flight back to the gloom of home. All the way back on the flight I watched "a film about an aeroplane".
Must have been scary - the missing tuc tuc :shock: Can only happen in Goa :D
Enjoyed your report, thanks.
sorry i have put this in the wrong place :oops: :oops: :oops:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.