America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Can I ask the reason why you won't consider a car? If it's down to nerves, rest assured, driving in Orlando is easier than driving in England. We had the same concerns in 1999 when we first went and opted for transfers everywhere, but it was such a drag having to adhere to schedules. Also in the evenings, taxi fares mounted up if restaurants were not in walking distance.

Since then we have hired a car each time. I now know Orlando better than most cities in England. It's a doddle.

If it has to be non driving, then I'm afraid the I Ride doesn't operate in LBV. It purely is up and down International Drive, although even if you stayed on I Drive the I Ride still doesn't go to Universal. It does go most of the way but you would have to walk 15-20mins in 90+ degree heat to get there. Wet n Wild is on the I Ride route.

I love the LBV area but you do really need a car. Downtown Disney is only 5mins in a car but walking is a nightmare across varying levels of traffic on some of the busiest roads in and around Orlando. I Drive would be a better bet as you can utilse the I Ride and there are pavements (rare in Orlando) for walking both sides.

I think your choice of hotel should be based around whether they provide park shuttles or not. I know the Comfort Inn LBV goes to Disney, but I don't think it goes to Universal. On I Drive there are quite a few properties that offer complimentary shuttles to Universal, Wet n Wild and Seaworld and charageable shuttles to Disney, they would be your best bet.

Hope this helps.
HI JWhiting, Thanks for the info. My husband is the only driver and isn't nervous of driving abroad (he has driven around Europe plenty of times but never in the US) but the main reason we don't want to hire a car is to keep the cost of this holiday down as much as poss. I believe the hotel does do a free shuttle to Universal & Disney but I think the times are inconvenient (8.30am & 11.20am) and think they are very late back. What time would you consider a reasonable time to get to these parks? Would the 11.20 shuttle get us there too late? Thanks
The I Ride only goes up and down International Drive -hence I Ride so you won't be able to catch from the 535 where you are staying.Taxi may be expensive over the period of time you are there and the hotel shuttles may not allow you a lot of time in the parks . Have you priced up a car?
Try this link and see what the costs are then decide.
http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/?villa=393
Just to see how much a car would cost you log onto http://www.dollar.co.uk and enter Orlando in pick up and return and see what is available and at what price. I think you might be surprised at how low prices can be, and all insurances will be included (and often a tank of petrol if you choose a specific product).

If the car is out, then I am sure you can manage on the shuttles. The only problem for me would be to get around to other places that are not served by a shuttle (restaurants, other attractions). Of course you can get cabs, but that soon mounts up and then you might as well get a car. I think the shuttles times provided are ok, 8.30am will get you there for park opening and you will be able to see and ride quite a bit in most parks before the hoardes get there. 11.30am is not so ideal, but you will miss the initial onslaught and the park(s) will have settled down by then. My only concern is that on some of the more popular rides fastpasses (at Disney) might have sold out, or might be timed for a return far far later than you want. We have certainly turned up at parks lateish morning expecting a nightmare but in truth, it hasn't always been that bad.

Of course another thing you have to take into account is the late return of shuttles. Sometimes you are just done much quicker and don't want to hang around waiting for a shuttle. Both IOA and Universal are parks that can be done in 1/2 to 2/3rds of a day with some planning for example. Of course you could get a cab back as mentioned, but Universal to LBV is going to be costly.

Personally I just find the luxury of a car enables us to schedule for ourselves as opposed to a shuttle company. In saying that, loads of people use the shuttles and have a great holiday. You might have some waiting around, but it's free and you can chill.

Whatever you do have a great holiday. When are you planning on going?

Ju
I would say you are spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar! If someone is willing to drive, you will have a far simpler holiday with a car than without one and therefore a more enjoyable one. Whilst you could manage without one, it will be better with one. You will probably find yourself forking out for taxis, so you probably won't save a great deal.

Do you have to go with Virgin for some reason? Other operators would offer other places to stay. We went with Virgin the first time, but never since. Nothing special about them except higher prices! Save money on the package and spend it on a car! The charters will give you more legroom.
Hi Thanks everyone. I have managed to almost :tongue convince DH to hire a car so I am going to look at all those links you have all given me ;)

Ju-We are planning on going next May half term for 2 weeks.

mehmeh1, We are commited to going with Virgin as we are paying with tesco deals and tesco only do Cosmos or Virgin TO Florida (Cosmos expensive and use Monarch airlines who have pretty bad reviews)
I just wanted to say that if you do pursue Lake Buena Vista Resort without a car, I suggest you read the reviews carefully regarding what on-site catering facilities are like, as you will probably eat a lot of meals there. I suspect you may not be within walking distance of much, especially in view of the heat and humidity and lack of pavements.

If you are taking the kids out of school for one week, make it the week before half-term and not the week after. The US schools break up for the summer that bank hol weekend and from then on it is much busier.

I understand now about Virgin!
The area of LBV near the Crossroads which houses the likes of the Comfort Inn LBV are very walkable to restaurants in the evening. I know people rave about CiCi's pizza (not for me though) which is literally next door to the Comfort. The likes of Chilli's is just across the road from the Sheraton Safari and the excellent Pizzera Uno is right on the Crossroads junction, however, the area near the LBV outlets does not have much within a short (or easy) walk.

If the holiday is being paid for with clubcard deals, surely you can stretch to a car hire??? :rofl :rofl

I can think of some excellent restaurants around that area, but most require a short drive. The Bennigans just up from the Crossroads is particularly good, as is the often maligned Golden Corral (go for Breakfast though).

Of course I have gone away from the main point, you will then be able to dictate your own schedules to the parks, which frankly in Orlando is priceless. :cheers
Thanks mehmeh and Ju,I have taken note of everything you said as well as checked out the car hire prices and DH was surprised that they are not as expensive as he thought they would be, so I reckon we will def be hiring a car :tup Virgin were offering a 'free' car hire but their cheapest insurance is £266 for the 2 weeks! So we expected car hire out there to be alot more!

Mehemeh, we were planing to go the week before (well just a few days before) May half term, the 19th is so much cheaper than the 20th for some reason as neither day is near a weekend (Tues & Wednesday). We didn't know if it would be best to go on the 26th as this is same price as 19th but it would mean keeping them off school going into the 2nd week of JUne, but now that we know the US kids will be off then I guess we will def go for the week before! Thank you both :cheers
Kids all over the south get out of school for the summer on the Friday before Memorial Day, which will be on May 25th and from then on the parks are crowded.
Also- don't know if it would bother you or not but the week starting June 2nd is 'Gay week' at Disney.
I think the dates you chose sound good for your family.
Hi we have just returned from a fantastic family holiday to orlando, we stayed in the Quality Inn International and we did not have a car. We bought a 14 day itrolley ticket for $16 hop on and off as much as you want, our hotel did the free transfers to all the parks but charged to go to disney $16 per person return we did not take this option we took the i-trolley to stop 32 got off then got the lynx number 50 right to disney's magic kindom, where you used the monorails to the other parks or their transport,at no point did we miss not having the car, it was a treat to go a full holiday not having to drive, and going by the way i saw some people driving i'm glad we didn;t. but hey thats just us,everyone to their own,,,

Yes we will go back, and no we will not take a car hire, :cheers :rofl :wave:
magsnmatty wrote:
we stayed in the Quality Inn International
If you'd like to post a review you may do so HERE :tup

Pippy :)
Orlando is not just the Parks, there is so much that you will miss out on with out a car, Florida has so much more to offer, but its horses for courses, your choice of course .

Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.