General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We got married abroad in 95 and are still married now (apparently some get less years for murder ;) ) but I've got to admit it was the best thing we did and it worked out great and was really special , like any wedding day should be . We got married in Barbados and we booked a package through kuoni . We had looked at how much a traditional wedding would cost here and decided on a 3 week holiday at an AI resort instead , our situation was that I had a few family but my wife had no family and we didn't want to pad out the guest list with work friends just having a jolly at our expense ( some our friends had this happen to them) , I thought it wasn't really fair that my mum & dad were there but my wife's mum and dad wouldn't be , so we decided that it would just be the two of us . I know it's different now as you can get married in all sorts of lovely places , but the thought of getting married on a beach in Barbados was more appealing than the local registry office which was situated on the 6th floor of the car park in a shopping centre in maidstone , we have some lovely photos with the beach and gardens now rather than an array of badly parked cars or the best of British retailing .
Tips, decide who is going , quite a few people getting married there had family & friends , but people are more than happy to be witnesses ., if you are just a couple.
Choose the right clothes, it was extremely hot even when we got married at 4pm, we had the spent the morning sunbathing/swimming and had a pre wedding lunch of burgers on our sun beds , we were laughing away and I remember saying , shal we go and get married , we felt very relaxed , afterwards we had a dip in the pool to cool down and had cocktails and champagne with everyone else who had watched.
Pick a hotel that knows how to weddings and has a co-ordinator who organises everything , we were taken to get our licence t get married , they got the vicar, did the flowers ,provided a cake , laid on a big table for our evening meal with friends we made there , organised a photographer and video crew who were superb , to be honest we just turned up .
I think if you get a package at a good quality hotel who organise everything you cant go wrong , it costs less than most weddings here and you get a holiday thrown in to soften the blow ;) :D
We got married in Malta in Sept 2010 and it was great. The first thing you need to do is establish what the legal procedures are, how long they might take and how much they will cost. Then you need to find a venue, agree a date and work out how you want your ceremony to run (i.e. how many guests, what's included etc). Like Andy66, we eloped so did't have to worry about anyone else but ourselves but it was still an interesting challenge sorting everything out a distance. Well worth it though!
i got married in 2006 in Florida, we decided as we were going away anyway we would do it all in 1, just the 2 of us and my 2 kids were there, i booked it all through Virgin weddings as we were going away with Virgin holidays anyway, it was so easy and a lot less hassle and just had a big party when we got back
We did exactly the same Lancslass, Virgin were excellent.Absolutely no hassle, I would highly recommend it.
Would definitely agree with the others, getting married abroad is hassel free and less stressful. My husband and I got married in Barbados in 1993 and Thomsons organised the whole thing, all we had to do was show up :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.