General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Try having a nice long walk in the mornings/late afternoons so the sun is catching your legs all the time.
I have this problem as well kell . Not that I get much of a tan anywhere and boy do I try but compared to my legs the rest of my body looks positively tanned. Ive given up on my legs now and use the tanning moisturiser every evening while on holiday . (johnsons , olay , dove or similar) and it has a great effect :)
Yes, you'd think I'd worn knee socks all holiday but for the last few years I have used holiday skin creams with a tad fake tan stuff in them. No one ever knows.
thanks for the replies. really appriciated! its meant to be another hot day tomorrow so i will make the most of it :)
Someone told me that the area between your knee and ankle is the most difficult part of your body to get a tan on. :( and from what I am reading here the evidence seems to bear this out. I wonder why.
A lot of the Germans etc if you've noticed, stand near the sea edge in groups talking, or walk along the sea edge back and forth - am convinced this is to maximise their tanning.
I have to admit that i get most of my tan whilst out walking, this idea that you have to lie glued down to a sunbed all day is well false!! :D
Right Glynis, the best way to get an all-over tan is walking along the waters edge. Have you seen the Russian method of standing like a statue with arms on head, usualy in the mid-day sun.
Keeps you cool as well if you paddle.

If you are not a swimmer and prefer to just sunbathe, you might find that you have a stripe along each side as you tend only to catch most of the rays on your back or front.

Swimming a lot is also good for getting the sun all over.
Why do people try to tan the inside of their arms? :think You see them all the time, sitting in a chair with their palms to the sun.
My legs have NEVER tanned and have always been like a pair of milk bottles on holiday but then a few years ago I sat in the garden for approx half an hour one sunny afternoon with my legs on the patio chair opposite and I can only assume that there was a whacking great gap in the ozone above Chippenham that day as in those 30 minutes I burnt my legs!

When I say burnt, I mean BURNT - they were dayglo red, it felt as though they were going to split open and the pain.............jeez - they went a lovely shade of brown AFTER they'd peeled but have reverted since to being white.

I have tried all sorts on holiday to get them to change colour but nothing works and I don't like to use fake tan as it always gathers at the ankles and looks bloody stupid.

If you do the waters edge thing as the Germans do, do you think that the sun will penetrate thru' the water to the leg and foot below the waterline or is their a risk you'll look like you've been wearing ankle socks?
Don't worry, the sun penetrates through water, you won't end up with ankle sock legs. :cheers
Ahhhh well that's okay then - I will try it out and let you know how I get on!

Only 19 more sleeps for me! :sun2
strangely ...for some reason i come back with black legs????? i do use a lot of dove 24hr moisturiser on them so wonder if thats why??? problem is i have short chunky legs so i can`t show them off :cry maybe a bit more moisture in your legs is neede especially when you shave as you shave the top layers of skin off!!!!!

sharon
I always get brown legs.....but it wasn't always that way :cry

I then discovered my best tip.......EXFOLIATE, EXFOLIATE, EXFOLIATE, do it before, during and after your holiday and it really does work. I use Clarins as it's gentler than most, don't use the "sugar" type though as too stripping. I reckon most people are loathe to exfoliate during and after for fear of removing your base tan but trust me it really works and just remember to moisturise well every time you do it, I use cocoa butter, Palmers or The Body Shop

It hasn't failed me in several years now and mine used to be so pasty compared to the rest of me.

Good luck :tup
My legs never tan or even go pink. Now and again, and only ever in the Canary Islands during a "calima", they will burn very quickly even when I'm careful, but the burn fades quickly and within a couple of days they are white again.
Miss Chief the best exfoliation ever is go to Turkey and have a turkish bath. Do it on your first or second day and your skin is prepared for the sun. It's marvellous.

Since having turkish baths I've found that products that are supposed to exfoliate your body just aren't effective. You would be amazed at the gunk that comes off your skin!
Been there done that many times Sand C........great use of a pillow case :rofl
Dove Summer Glow lotion now has a SPF15 option - I know what I'll be putting on my legs next holiday!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.