Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Goa with Children
160 Posts
plenty of suncream

do not let them swim in the sea without an adult (or paddle)

do not drink the water

sun brolly on beach

there is a thread on here about kids going to Goa if you put it in a search box lots of info on it,
A few trips around for the kids,you could try going to the zoo (animal sanctuary) not as anywhere near as what we have here but ok !
Also the waterfalls - feed the monkeys on the way.
Boat trips - dolphin spotting and coastal viewing.
Can be difficult to keep them happy but i think they will love being on the beach all day or playing around the pool.
You can ask any taxi driver to organise a trip for you they have a full list that they will show you with all fixed prices.
The above trips are an example and i would try and space them out as to avoid the bordem they may encounter.
Do they like local bus trips to markets ? If so hop on one and travel for half a day. I must say though that there is a limit for children,I have friends who take theirs each year and seem to get on okay.
Maybe others can suggest further ?
If it hasn't already been said, you best watch out for the traffic, as it's known to clip people as they walk down the side of the road.... Ther locals have the same problems as a little girl we helped last year had to have her leg amputated as she got caught under a bus, went to see her in hospital... So be careful, but I shouldn't see why they wouldn't enjoy it. Especially if the hotel has a pool.

Enjoy
Hi
I returned on saturday. Weve been before many times but not for 4 years as we had our first child. She has just turned 3 and she absoultley loved it. Most days she was in the pool or on the beach. She adapted really well. We got her involved with the local haukers by telling them no thankyou or yes if she wanted to have a look. The sellers loved it aswel as my daughter and they werent persistant like they can be. Keep them plastered in lotion we used factor 35 and kept a big t shirt on her esspecialy when she was in the pool or sea. A little nap in the afternoon is good too because the heat does make them tied and if youre plannin to have late evening because then they wont be so tied and want lie ins the next morning and miss the best part of the morming.
Good luck youll have fun.
I can recomend you try a day or 2 at Palolem Beach with the kids as this is about the safest beach i found in Goa. there has never been any curent there when i've been and you can walk out about a 100 yards and still the water only comes to your belly :D
Hi

You mentioned Palolem Beach. Is that where you stay on the beach in tents? Where do you book these and how much does it cost? Our kids are nearly 2 and 3 and a half, do you think that this is a suitable age for Palolem Beach?

Sorry bout all the questions!

Regards
Louise 8)
yes you can stay in tents there i think it's called the beach resort. it's dead easy to find as it's the last gaf on the right before you get to the beach, but they get very hot inside as there's not much shade on the site. you are beter off going in one of the huts. these cost about £5 a night and have 2 beds in them. as for the kids, it's ideal and alot more laid back than alot of Goa
Hi

Thanks for the info about the tents. When you say beds in the beach huts, do you actually mean beds or is it a mattress on the floor? Have heard quite a lot of bad reports about fleas etc in the mattresses on the floor!

I'm so looking forward to getting there in 2 weeks!!!

Louise
Hi there
Just arrived back from goa i am lucky enough to have a great mum so she looked after the kids for us ,we will be taking them to greece in the summer Anyway to be honest goa is not for kids what with the after affects of the maleria tabs and the heat of the sun also the spicey food and mozzy spray there is absolutely nothing for the kids to do I know i,ll get alot of greif for saying this but i think its very selfish of parents who take children out to such far away places 10 hours on the plane thats if you have the weather in your favor we absolutly loved the place but sorry in my honest oppinion it isnt the right holiday when going as a young family to risky
ssharon
Im sorry but I totally disagree with that - having spoken to other friends who have taken their children to Goa and had no problems I cant see what the problem is. My children are used to going to "Faraway places more than 10 hrs flight time" - if I took them to majorca etc just because it was near they would totally revolt. As for nothing to do, well what about temples, markets, boat trips etc - all of which people have recommended
Anyway - even Orlando is more than 10hrs flight time as well. Having taken them to Africa, Eygyt etc they adore experiencing new countries, new languages, new foods.
I wouldnt dream of denying my children that experience. Better than being stuck in some Costa del Blackpool with "eenglish bars" etc.
Just to point out as well - Greece - last time we were there the temp was 110 - that was in june, and there are mosquitos.
Anyway - isnt it more selfish to go on holiday without your children!!!!!!
Hi Ali T

Pity there are still some shortsighted people about!!!

This will be our 8th time to Goa and 3rd time with our 4 yr old our only regret is we wasted time going to Europe with her when she was very young, we had a great time there but our trips to Goa have been fab.

She still talks about washing the elephants last year and all the goings on on the beach throughout the day. It is the easiest holiday by far which she absolutely loves because there is never a dull moment everyone is so nice there and make a huge fuss of her.

As long as you adopt a sensible attitude re the sun etc you will have no problems, but that goes for any hot climate.

We fly on 3rd of Feb cant wait
Thanks Jacqui - just as a side point - and its nothing to do with kids - well.. Ive been looking through the threads but cant seem to spot anything - is it worth buying mossie coils before you go or are they easier and cheaper to buy once there. Is it the same with beach towels as well and then just donate them to orphanages before you go. Can anyone recommend a good brand they have used in candolim - mossie coils that is, and reasonable quality towels. Thanks
Hi Ali T

You need to take very little with you because you can buy everything out there really cheap, I have always taken beach towels, never thought of buying them there but now you mention it good idea! All the mosi stuff is alot cheaper and easy to buy and we have found it better than anything bought here in fact spent out on the childrens one the first year before we went and found it didnt work to well. You can buy a repellent in a cream which is really good and the coils and plug in ones. We even buy enough malaria tablets to get us there and then buy them at the chemist.

The first time we took our little one I did take most things that she needed but last year didnt bother because you can get everything there, the only problem we found was getting the malaria tablets down her!! But met someone who had been advised by a doctor to just drink plenty of tonic if it is a problem, I will try again this year but if we fail I am going to dilute juice etc with it. if your kids are older you might not have that problem.

What date do you go? we fly 3rd feb on excel
considering spending a couple of months in India but very nervous about travelling there with 2 seven year olds and a 15 month old. Any advice would be appreciated on areas to go and not to go and also finding accommodation and costs
is it wise to take two seven year olds out of school at this important age .they learn most of their skills at this age,or are you concidering finding an english school when you are there? i agree it will be an experience for them .my youngest is 14 and i never took her this year with us .i will think of taking her when she a bit older,as shes a typical teenager and i dont think the indian life will suit her,maybe when shes a bit more mature and can cope with different ways of life ,she will get the benefit of this lovely countryand its people.what ever you decide i hope it works out for you and youre family.
I am considering taking my typical teenager who will be 15 - I think it would be good for her to go to Goa. I think there are plenty of things for to enjoy in Goa and I think it will make her appreciate what she has and maybe make her think a bit more about people that have a lot less than her in life but can still be happy.
I first took my son when he was aged 17, 6 years on he still loves goa, preferring it to Ibiza.
My advice would be to think about the roads and lack of pavements. It must a nightmare wheeling a buggy / pram down the streets at night ....plus i'm not sure that you would want them toddling down the main street no matter how vigilant as those buses / taxis / mopeds / cows don't have proof hazardous!!!
Hi there. I am hopefully going back to Goa next February for the whole month and I am planning to take my little girl who will be 8 years by then. I think its a great age to take out of school and let them see all the things there are to see, from the the beauty to the sadness of the whole country and its culture. I was 9 when I went to Zambia and South Africa for a month. I remember so much, and it made me want to travel, (which I've done mostly in my mind,lol), but it will give them something that many other children will never get the chance to see. You can always take some schoolwork with you, but theres alot more to learn in this life than numbers and letters.... Go for it. As for the little one, yes, roads and food may be a little difficult, but where we stayed at the BERNARD SIMAO beach complex there was a little girl about that age staying there for about 4 months. It didn't seem to be a problem to her or her family!My opinion is to go for it and have fun!
Andie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.