Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi, we went to Egypt in June and went B&B as we like to eat out but looking back we should have gone AI because we spent a fortune buying lunch and snacks and drinks and ice cream and litres of water everyday from our hotel, it didnt help that there was nowhere to go to outside our hotel. We went to Naama bay in a taxi most nights but the quality of the food and drink was not great and I bet the good AI hotels have food of the same quality.We paid £2,700 B&B for 2 adults and 2 kids and then spent that again on food, drink and trips. it was not a cheap holiday and sadly we did not enjoy it(I know loads of people do this is just my opinion) Also if you go AI you will probably spend most of the time at your hotel which will spare you from been harassed everytime you leave the resort and AI hotels usually have plenty to do during the day and at night, our hotel was so quiet you could hear a pin drop not good when you have 2 bored children. In its favour the weather was fab and the airport was a breeze not like some reports i had read(we went on a Sunday, try to avoid Thursdays) the waterpark was good and the quad bikes were too and the snorkling and diving is out of this world.
i have been in january to el gouna and found it a little on the cool side. you could sunbathe for a few hours a day as long as you were out of the cool breeze, in the evening you would want a jumper etc

it was by no means cold but i wouldnt choose to go in january again i would leave it more to march to be sure of the weather

i cant comment on sharm as i have never been there, i am not a fan of hurghada as i find it too busy we go to el gouna about 30mins from hurghada which is much quieter
we went in january.the weather was absolutely fantastic,in sharm during the day.however it was really cool,at night.my husband,called it sharm el shiver!
i would definately go back in january,but would go prepared,for the cool evenings.
we went b&b,as hubby likes to be out & about.looking back,this was a mistake,as we have never spent,so much time,round the hotel.this was because,of the constant hassle,when you went out.don't get me wrong,we have been to bali etc,where you get hassled,but in egypt,it was definately more aggresive & not all good natured.
tracy
Hi

I've never been to either in January - we tend to go in October where its mid 80s

Out of Hurghada and Sharm, I personally preferred Hurghada. I loved the Sekala area for shopping - a main road of shops about a mile long each side and so much cheaper than Sharm.

Depends really on what your kids are into, and if you wanted to let them out on their own (my two are 5 & 11 and stay with us!!). We found that other than shopping in Hurghada, we mainly stayed around the hotel.

In sharm, other than shopping in Na'ama Bay, the same applied.

I would definately say AI though. Theres nothing better than knowing that if you run out of money you will not starve or dehydrate!!!! Especially with kids who never stop eating and drinking.

I would advise a hotel with lots going on at the hotel. We have been to a couple of different ones, where there was things happening at the pool every hour on the hour!!! I never saw much of my kids beteen kids club (little one) and water polo, water aerobics, belly dancing lessons, and other activities arranged by the hotel. (For info we stayed Three Corners St George and Three Corners in Hurghada - this year we are staying at the Sonesta CLub for the same reasons and we have never paid more than £1800 for 4 of us all inclusive 2 weeks Sept / Oct)

Hope this helps
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.