Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
adz8916,

Welcome onboard :tup
I got back from Mombasa last month, you'll enjoy the wildlife. November is an average of 32C with 100mm of rain so nice and warm. I posted some photos on this thread. Humidity is a little lower at that time of year (70-80%), but still high. It got over 90% humidity last month so feels very hot. You can get current and historic weather information on Wunderground. Weather is normally partly cloudy with 37% sunshine. You'll still get a nice tan! I don't know of any day trips to Killamanjaro from Mombasa as it's too far to go in a day (about 350-400km). It's normally combined with a trip to Tsavo West where you'll stay overnight overlooking the range. You'll fly over Killamanjaro on the flight back from Mombasa (assuming you're flying back from there), you'll see it out of the left of the aircraft. It's big, but not as as big as you imagine. The snow covering is a lot less than it used to be. One of the local beers is White Cap, named after snow topped Killamanjaro. The other is Tusker, named after the Elephant that killed the founder of the brewery in 1922, and it's very nice!. Just take your normal holiday things, but you might want something with long sleeves for the safari as you'll be out at the crack of dawn and it can feel a little chilly once you've acclimatised and you're driving through the game parks. Once the sun rises, it'll be back to gas mark 6! Apart from that, nothing out of the ordinary really. Just remember your vaccinations (if you're not alreay up to date) and malaria protection. And don't forget your camera and spare batteries!

Darren
Hi Darren,

Yes Kenya in November. Is Diani/Mombasa usually hotter and have more sun than the Masai Mara? I just hope when I go to Diani beach it's a near clear sky with the sun shining, don't want an overcast...

I don't mind what the weather is like in the Mara though. I don't know what the wildlife will be like in November, I'm guessing it'll be more quiet than normal but hoping to see the big 5 there. I do wonder whether we'll even see a hunt go on, would be good, but we'll have to see.

So you got a page or anything telling us what you did and how you found your holiday?

Thanks
adz8916,

I don't think it makes much difference where in Kenya you are really, it's hot and humid! You'll not get the cooling breezes that you get on the coast so it will be warmer if anything inland. It's just early on in the morning when you're on a dawn game drive (6am or so) that some find it a little cool but by 8 or 9am, it's back to oven temperatures! The problem with weather, it's unpredictable although being equitorial, things don't change that much in that area. Temperatures are pretty static, it's just some months are wetter / dryer than others.

You'll be needing a week on the beach after a week on safari, all them early mornings catch up with you and it's more tiring than you think looking out for things. You've a pretty good chance of seeing the big 5. We saw everything apart from Rhino's, they did a dissapearing act on us. It was amazing how many Elephant there were, litterly thousands. Chances are, you'll see a Lion, Cheeta or Leopard on the prowl and make a kill. The photo of the Lion on the previous page was a Lion following some Impala and Gazelle. He looked too tired to be bothered chacing though. That's one reason you go our early morning and towards dusk, see nature in action.

I don't have a specific page but there's loads of information on this forum. Use the seach function and most questions are answered by someone. It was a great experience, and an eye opener too (the poverty outside of the main areas). Be prepared to trade t-shirts, socks and pretty much anything for wooden carvings of animals!

Darren
Thanks Dazbo I really apprieciate the advice you've given me here. The holiday is with Somak holidays. Had a couple of people telling us that for a cheaper price we could have gone to the Caribbean but hey, it's not the same as a safari holiday in my opinion.

I would love to see Lions, Cheetahs, Leopards, Elephants, Water Buffalos, Hyenas and other large animals. My biggest fear is not being able to take a decent photo. I've got one of those point and shoot cybershot cameras from last year but I think it's rather rubbish really. Looking for a proper camera where I can take some really good photos, like a DSLR one. Do you know much about cameras? Seeing as your pictures are very good I suppose you do.

Was thinking Nikon D40 or Sony A200

Oh by the way, Hyenas are great animals! You got a flickr page or anything?
I went on safari in Keyna in November some years ago and we did have some rain but it didn't stop our enjoyment of the trip. The only problem the rain caused was that it turned some of the tracks very muddy and at times we got stuck and had to get out of the bus and push. The weather on the coast was beautiful though, blue skies and nonstop sunshine.
I hope you enjoy your trip, it's a beautiful country.
adz8916,

Cameras are always a difficult one becuse it depends on your budget and what you're going to use it for. If you just want a good camera for the safari, but won't have much demand for it on your return, you might be better off looking at the latest generation of compact 'superzooms' like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 or DSC-H20. If you want to take things a little more serious, then for ultimate quality, you can't beat a digital SLR. Budgets are a lot higher though. I use a Canon EOS 50D with a Sigma 50-500 EX APO DG lens, but that'll set you back the best part of £2,000. I also have an EOS 350D and 3 other lenses. I do some commercial work with it so I need the right tools for the job. If you just want a reasonable quality D-SLR, then I'd go with Canon personally as the range of lenses is better. The Nikon D40 is a great little camera, but I have a preference for Canon's EOS range. Something like a Canon 1000D or if you budget allows, a 450D is a great starting point. The problem then is deciding on lenses! You'll probably want the 17-55 that comes bundled with the cameras but you'll then need a longer telephoto lens, probably a 70-300. Although D-SLR's can be fully automatic and easy to use, you'll not get the best unless you know a little about how they work. That's where the compact superzoom type cameras come it, they are a jack of al trades. If you have the budget patience to learn an SLR (couple of hours playing to understand the relationship between film speed (ISO), shutter speed and aperture), you won't be disapointed with a D-SLR but if you won't be using it all that much when you get back, have a look at the superzooms.

Darren
Dazbo - how do you find the Sigma 50-500mm?
I'm thinking of getting the 150-500mm ahead of a Kenya trip in October. I've got a Sony a100, with the standard 18-70 & Minolta 75-300mm zoom already, but suspect I'll enjoy a bit more zoom for the wildlife photos in Africa.
alanwall,

I'm a little mixed with the 50-500 to be honest. I've been using one for nearly 3 year and up until the last 12 months, it was a great tool and was on the camera 90% of the time. However, over the last 12 months I've had a problem with the focus not locking on to subjects between 200-300mm. It's been back to Sigma twice and they've not managed to fix the problem yet (and we're talking £75 a time and £10 postage). The first time I sent it back they said it wasn't covered under warrenty, the second time I wasn't prepared to pay for repair since it was within 6 monhs of the last repair and had the same fault and the same quote for the fix, so they did it under warrenty. Anyway, I got it back before I went to Kenya and guess what? Still the same problem. I don't know why, but now using it on a 50D, it's seems very soft. I don't know why and it's baffling me. I've got to send it back to Sigma along with the camera body to see if they can solve the problem as they say it might need calibrating due to variations on their test body. Everyone I've spoken to says this is total rubbish but I just want the lens working like it used to. I'm not keen on sending £2k of camera in the post but not much choice. Anyway, apart from that! It's a great lens and you'll not get anything more versitile for taking on safari. It's very dusty out there so the last thing you want is to be changing lenses. With the huge focal range, I never had to when out on the plains. It's not the sharpest lens in the world, but that's the compromise you make for it's versitility. As long as you get a good example and don't have any problems with it, you'll find it's a great tool. It's a heavy beast though and bulky so not for everyone. The 150-500 is too 'long' at the short end for me. You'll be fine with a 75-300, but the extra 200mm gives you a bit more flexibility and the ability to get very close to the action.

Darren
Dazbo - have you tried the lens on another camera body? Plenty of people have Canon's, or pop into a nearby shop.
If it still fails to lock on the focus then the problem must be a general one with the lens..!

I'm was looking at the 150-500 partly because I'd expect bette roptical performance with the narrower zoom range, plus it's quite a lot cheaper! And cheaper than the Tamron 200-500mm. I shall just have to careful with the dust in Kenya if I do buy one.
alanwall,

I have two camera bodies; a 350D and a 50D. The focus problem is with the lens and not the cameras. Best thing to do it go down to your local Sigma dealer and put them on and give them a go. If you haven't seen one, the bulk might put you off! Take a few test shots (on a tripod if you can as light levels might be low) and review the results. Don't worry if the zoom ring is a little stiff, they are like that for the first couple of outings then losen-up nicely. I was perfectly happy with the 50-500 on the 350D, other than the focusing issue but with the 50D having far greater resolving power, it seems a little soft and shows every minor flaw. It's booked in with Sigma in June for another focus repair ad re-calibration on my 50D body (there's slight variation aparently) to try and solve the softness so fingers crossed they can sort it, 3rd time lucky!

I had the 350D in Kenya with me as well with a 75-300 on and that covered most things. A friend was using it. Only think they missed was some of the closer, more detailed shots and smaller animals that little bit further away so I wouldn't blow your budget just to get an extra bit of focal length if you won't use it when you get back. You can actually get quite close to the animals, some will walk right past you! You might also want a bean bag to rest the camera on the top of the vehicle as you need a very steady hand / fast shutter when using big focal lengths. I can recommend a 'The Pod' as it attaches to the tripod mount and moves with you. I used one in Kenya.

Darren
This discussion has been fascinating. I'm planning to go to Kenya soon. I have made several trips to southern africa in the past. Usually i hire a 4x4 with my brother (usually a land rover because we know how they work more than most other cars) and explore. Last time we drove up across the Kalahari and around Botswana.

I was wondering if something similar is possible to do in Kenya. Can one hire land rovers for a month or two and are there any laws or regulations one has to meet in order to travel around freely?
olsver,

I only have experience with Pollmans. They might be able to cater for your needs.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.