Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
no not a stupid idea at all. Most (all) hotels will have cots so you won't need to take a travel cot. Buy/borrow or make (like my mum has done) a buggy bag, you can get them from mothercare, kiddicare, ebay etc for around £10 - £20. This doesn't count as your bag allowance and is seperate, you'd best check the weight allowance though.

Might not have this right so check but I think my wife checked on the bottles and sterilised water and was told that you can take 2 3.5oz bottles filled but will have to test the water as a precaution. I think but we are going to check that you can take tubs of powdered milk (I'll let you know wehn I find out). You can buy sterilising bags to put in the microwave and sterilise the bottle like that, again you can buy them from the above places.

Plus your 3 year old will get a full weight allowance and a seat on the plane. We are going away with our 2 year old and 9 month old and are getting a papoose for the young one in the airport because of the suitcases, buggy bags etc.
One tip fill a small case with nappies you will be surprised how many you will need and the space they up. The other benifit is having a empty case at the end of the holiday to put anything you bought and want bring home.

We done it with a 4 year and 8 month hold and didn't get any problems, my wife used bottle water to sterilise the bottle with the sterilising fluid, took a small trave kettle. We were in a hotel room but didn't have the luxury of self catering facilities and we had no problems.

I wouldn't recommend it with a 18 month old, that was hard work chasing her all over the hotel, my wife and I took in turns to walk behind her because she had a thing about going up steps and those steps were hard marble. But saying that my other daughter was totally different at 18 months and was no work at all. It depends on the kid I suppose if they like wander off everywhere.
We have been on holiday with our daughter twice before - once at age 23 months and again last year when she was nearly 3.

Honestly, I think it was easier the first time we went with her when she was younger. We didn't get a luggage allowance for her but it meant that I had to cull my luggage to make way for her stuff (and I have learned that you don't need to take masses of stuff anymore!). Ok, you do need nappies in abundance but we took one whole packet of her usual brand which we opened and spread loose around the three cases that we took and then took another half a packet in hand luggage. When we ran out, we just brought the local brand and they were more than ok. We took her buggy all the way through to departures, the cabin crew just took it off us as we boarded the plane. The only time you have tons of luggage is just before check-in and I would suggest grabbing a trolley and piling everything on. As soon as you get to destination airport, again grab a trolley. Your buggy should be the first items out on the luggage carousel. As mentioned previously most, if not all, hotels and/or apartments should have cots. You just need to request them when you book your holiday. We have never had a problem.

Last year because she was that much older, keeping her in her buggy was a bit of a chore, but again we kept it until we boarded the plane (mainly to keep an eye on her). She had a luggage allowance which made things slightly easier but I did try to keep things to a minimum for myself and hubby.

As far as feeding and bottles, we didn't really need to worry because she was that much older and had already been weaned on to ordinary cows milk but you can get the sterilising bags to use in the microwave or another option is to use an old fashioned bottle of Milton which will do the same and you only need to use cold water. You can use bottled water to make up feeds.

I would say go for it which is easy for me to say because I only had one child but I did take her dad with me so does that count :roll: .

Sarah :)
Hi

We stayed at Playa Mar in 2006 and it is a great hotel (see reviews) answers to some of your concerns below:

Nappies - Take one packet and buy local if necessary they are just as good as what you buy here, I understand the DotDot brand is the equivalent of Pampers over here plus others are also available slightly cheaper.

Playa Mar - You will need 2 buggies if you plan to walk into town down the Pinewalk as it takes 20-25 minutes and a 3 year old couldn't do it. I found the cobbly bit of the walk actually made the little one fall asleep (result !!!) so when we got to town she was asleep while we had meals etc.

Cots - I think the cot was free, best to book before you go but September should be no problem. If not in room a quick trip to reception will get you one within a few minutes is my experience. Never had a problem.

Worst bit I imagine will be walk from plane to luggage collection area at Palma but most of the way is by moving walkway so if not in a rush take it easy and when you get there luggage is usually already coming out. You can get a little shopping trolley thing near gate which you could put 3 year old in before you get to luggage reclaim.

Not an expert on milk so can't comment !!!!!

Cheers

Dave. :D
There used to be a buggy etc. hire place at the bottom end of the Pine Walk near the Oro Playa, on the old Formentor Road, don't know if it's still there as haven't been for a few years.

(going soon though :lol: will look out for it and report back )

the Valentin Puerto Azul is also good with children and more central than the Playa Mar...both Thomsons.
I wouldn't take hardly anything. We hire a car and go to the 'Carrefour' (Very large hypermarket) neat the airport. They sell everything you can imagine for babies - from buggies to jars of food. All cheaper then in the UK. We used to just take the buggy & enough supplies to last a couple of days.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.