Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Golf in Algarve
15 Posts
hi all,hope someone out there can direct me in the right path.i am wanting to take my son for his 21st on a golfing holiday to portugal.i have been advised of the villamora area is the best place.however i need info on the area and courses to play on.there will be him and his dad playing golf and myself and sons girlfriend hopefully sunbathing.were do i start,i have been looking at booking package holiday with thomas cook for villamora and were do i go from there?do i book with hotel when there for golf or before we go and if so with who,OR do i look at booking with a company for the whole package ie;hotel,flights and golf etc.for his 18th we took him to costa del sol and were fortunate that we new someone at the time that we hired apartment from and whilst there booked there golf with sunshine golf company.so please please and advice as to were to start would be great,dates looking at are about 20/22 march 2008 as his birthday is 24th.
looking forward to hearing from ANYONE!!!!!!!!

cheers
laingy
Laingy take a look at THIS SITE but be warned MANY OF THE COURSES REQUIRE A 20 OR LESS HANDICAP CERTIFICATE
wizard
These people may be able to help : http://www.4golf.com/default.aspx
Note to Mod I have no interest in this firm;I used them to book my (non-golfing)week in Lagos just before Christmas. :wink:
Note to Mod I have no interest in this firm
of this i have no doubt.... your only interst is the 19th hole :yikes :glynis

wiz
Alright, - who's been talking ?? :lol: :lol: :glynis
laingy,
When you check out the website I recommended, can I suggest that you take a look at the Tivoli Lagos as an option.I mention this as we got an unbelievable deal for this hotel through http://www.4golf in December.Although I'm not a golfer myself,I know that the hotel definitely have concessionary rates for the Palmares course, and am fairly certain that the same applies to the Parque de Floresta course.The Tivoli has its own bus, and transport to and from the Palmares (and, quite possibly the Parque de Floresta) is complimentary.The hotel itself is 4* and excellently situated for easy access to the town of Lagos which has an unbelieveable selection of quality restaurants.For the non-golfers, A Duna is the hotel's private beach club on the Meia Praia beach and there's complimentary transport to this as well.Whenever we've stayed at the Tivoli, there has always been a lot of golfers staying and the hotel has often hosted golf clubs' annual tournaments whilst we've been there, so they are no strangers to organising holidays for the golfing fraternity.If you need any more help, just ask.Good luck.
Hi Laingy,

THIS is quite a clear and user-friendly website. They say you can pre-book tee times with them at discounted rates, but you may be able to pick their brains on a more general level too.

Can't help you on the Vilamoura courses, I'm afraid! I'm not good enough to play there - 9 holes at Pine Cliffs and Vale do Milho are about my limit! :wink

Hope this helps!
hi all,thanks for all your replies,but im getting a bit more confused now,so is lagos area anywhere near villamora? do we book direct with the tivoli lagos and get our own flights ?son plays of 12 and his dad of 18 so you could say there not bad,but whilst playing 1 course on the costa del sol they both lost an awful lot of balls!! just dont no were to start really,does people in general recommend that i book with hotel and flights separately or doing normal packageholiday to portugal and whilst there sort out golf deals with the hotel?
cheers laingy
Lagos is further west than Vilamoura - approximately a further 30 minute drive away from the airport.
Why not enter your requirements on the website and bring up a price for the complete holiday;that will give you a reference point as far as cost is concerned.You can then research the cost of flights booked independently (use the 'no-frills' airlines' websites) and the cost of the hotel via providers such as WSH or Travel Republic, as well as the accommodation only option on 4golf's site.Accommodation providers sites will, in my experience, always prove more competetive than a direct booking with the Tivoli.
Once you have decided which option(s) suit you best, then get back to us on H.T. for any further help you may need.Bear in mind that, if you decide to build the holiday yourself, then you'll be responsible for getting yourselves from and to the airport, whether it be by hiring a car or arranging transfers;we'll be able to help with these elements of your trip as well.
hi sagres,well actually booked a package holiday for us all with travelcare direct,which was a really good price.now all i need to do is book golf for the lads,so do i book it through hotel(vilagale marina in villamoura) when we get there or email them prior to,or again book through golf company on the internet before we go.i believe the hotel arranges free transport to courses once there but is there a condition that you book your golf packages through them?hope you can once again be of some help.
cheers
laingy
Sorry, I'm afraid I can't help specifically with Vilamoura.I know that the Tivoli Lagos provide complimentary transport to the two local courses ( with no strings attached as far as I'm aware ), but don't know what the set-up is at the Vila Gale Marina; perhaps a visit to their website might enlighten you.
have looked at the website sagres,but not further advanced,thanks anyway.
laingy
Hi Laingy. The Vila Gale Marina is a really nice hotel, stayed there many times before buying our own place here. Regards golf, besides being able to book at the hotel you could also book golf through the Dom Pedro Marina hotel or the Dom Pedro Golf hotel. Try http://www.vilagale.pt and click on golf There is also a website http://www.telereserva.pt whom you can book golf through. Or do a google search "golf agencies vilamoura" there are lots of websites to choose from. Enjoy your golf and your stay. Cheers Jayjan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.