General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
3 books I've read recently & enjoyed were:

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

After River by Donna Milner

Mudbound by Hillary Jordan

All interesting & but very readable.

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith is a wonderful thriller set in Soviet Russia if you like more excitement.
Anyone have any recommendations for books to read whilst on holiday? I enjoy all genres and in the past have read many 'little black dress' books, not sure if anyone heard of these but they are really good.
For a very captivating holiday read I can highly recommend the thriller Last Light by Alex Scarrow :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Light-Alex-Scarrow/dp/0752886142

Frightening and thought provoking account of how much we depend on oil and what can happen if the supply is stopped, how quickly our life style could change for the worse.

Even better the follow up After Light is out on Thursday:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Afterlight-n-Alex-Scarrow/dp/1409108163/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Would seem Last Light has caught a few imaginations of TV producers as it apparently being adapted for a TV drama.
I thoroughly enjoyed Shelia Hancock's 'The Two of Us' - warts and all book and made laugh and cry really good. Just bought John Thaws biography too, which is some years old now however looking forward to reading that,
i have just finished reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold , much preferred the book to the film , i have just ordered from my local library Push ...........Synopsis
This is the story of Precious Jones, a sixteen year old illiterate black girl who has never been out of Harlem. She is pregnant by her own father for the second time, and kicked out of school when that pregnancy becomes obvious. Placed in an alternative teaching programme, she is urged to write down her thoughts in a book. This is Precious' diary, in which she honestly records her relationships and her life. Told with tremendous power, vitality and wit; this is an uncompromising and hugely enjoyable novel.
l
I will download around 6 books on to my ebook and take that with me. I've just bought "O Carol" Carol Mcgiffin's autobiography I can't wait to start reading it!
I've just bought Jodie Picoult House Rules (the same author as my sister's keeper) can't wait to read it on holiday!
I've been through every Helen Forrester book while on holiday and starting on Maureen Lee now :)
I love Tess Gerritsen's books. And anything by Jasper Fforde - his writing is genius!

Other books I'd recommend are:

Travel writing:

An Embarrassment of Mangoes - Ann Vanderhoof (Carribean)
The Bone Man of Benares - Terry Tarnoff
Holy Cow - Sarah MacDonald (India)

Thriller / Horror:

Cell - Stephen King
The Broken Window - Jeffrey Deaver. This one really spooked me! If you've not already read this, be warned - you may not ever want to use a credit card or shop online again!
Il be buying the carrie diarys in honour of my favourite show Sex and the city...it will probably take me 2 weeks to read it so thats my holiday book sorted,and a few fashion magazines.. :sun2
I love this thread!! My OH doesn't read so doesn't understand my joy at going out to choose my holiday reading!

I have got Jackie Collin's latest....'Poor Little Bitch Girl', love a good JC on holiday.

I had bought 'Born to Run' by Chris Mcdomething but ended up reading that whilst in Wales last weekend. Very very good book looking at lost tribes and their ultra marathons they run.

Shall have a mosey down to the charity shops as usually buy second hand so if they get full of sand or cream it doesn't matter....also can leave them there then!

Just realised I don't need to really as MIL gave me The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and its sequel and a Martina Cole so all good!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.