Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Gouves 2009
4 Posts
Hi we stayed there 4 years ago and although the appartments are very nice the resort is rubbish compared to Stalis and Malia.
Also the appartments are a good couple of miles from the main resort, so my advice would be to rebook for stalis (quiet but fun) or Malia (noisy and a bit mad) ...........Sorry.
the resort is rubbish compared to Stalis and Malia

I accept that this is your opinion Andy, but you might like to make this clear!! And perhaps 'rubbish' has a specific meaning to those living in the UK, but my personal experience of Gouves - the part between the main road from Heraklion to Hernossios and the sea, not the older town between the main road and the mountains - is that although it is quiet in that there are no wall-to-wall discos, there are plenty of tourist shops and restaurants offering food and diverse bars to satisfy many visitors, with Stalis and Malia being reachable by bus during the day time and car or taxi by night. (NOT necessarily cheaply by taxi especially if in the early hours!!!)

Gouves doesn't have any outstanding things to do, but it is convenient for visiting other places and getting some refreshing sleep if you need to recover from overdoing the bright lights. Malia and Stalis are very much suited to the 18-30s crowd, and often suffer from undesired publicity because of the number of people hiring quad bikes with little experience and too much bravado, resulting in serious accidents both to those on the bikes and those unlucky enough to be on the pavements/edge of the road in the vicinity of these drivers.

Gouves has been a great base for me now twice, and whilst not being 24 hours a day excitement, suits me and my family very well. But that's only my opinion and others will soon share theirs with you.
Have to agree with Alsacienne, Gouves is not "rubbish".
It is however away from all the mad action of Hernossios and Malia.
Last year we ended up in what should have been a quiet spot but it was full of mad young things who should have being staying up the coast, not a 20euro taxi ride away from where they wanted to be.
There is a good cheap bus service from/to Heraklion along the main road serving Hernossios, Stalis, Malia and Agios Nikolas.
Agios Nikolas is about an hour away and is a nice day trip that's easy to do on the bus.
Not sure exactly where Villa Marie Kelly is but if it's at the Hernossios end of Gouves you have to try Mylos Taverna ( good food, spotlessly clean, family friendly and good value )

Enjoy Crete
Patrick
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.