Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Greenline
15 Posts
Yes, you can cross the green line. For Old Famagusta, the crossing point is at Ayios Nicolaos.
If you are thinking of driving over only one hire company (as far as I'm aware) offers to arrange insurance etc.
Most companies T&Cs state that you can't take their cars to the TRNC.
You can purchase third party insurance at the crossing points, about €25. This will not cover recovery for accident or breakdown.

There are organised trips from major centres, Paphos, Limassol etc. If you're with a travel company enquire with them.

Mark
Thank you both for your replys, I was hoping to hire a car and go on my own steam but it may well be better to go with a tour firm as it seems a bit of a mess about with the insurance.
Thanks again,
Dave
Dave, the company that does (I'm sure) arrange insurance etc is Petsas.
Email them re travel to the north and ask for a quote. Quotes are usually lower than website prices in my experience.

Mark
You can also go through on foot by Ledra Palace Hotel in Nicosia. Head for the Paphos Gate entrance and follow the road around to the right until you reach the UN post.

Once through the checkpoint (you need your passports) you can take a taxi, bus or hire a car in the north. It's an easy road to Kyrenia or Girne as it is known in the north.

CwB
And any day now (hopefully!) you should be able to cross in the middle of Nicosia on Ledra Street

Dave
Thank again for the replys, I did now of the crossing at the Ledra Palace Hotel just thought it would be a lot easer now they are in the E U, I have a long time to go yet, so it may be as hard to get to the other side when we do get there.
Dave.
"They" are in the EU?

The Republic of Cyprus is a member of the European Union. Turkey and the TRNC are not.

Mark
Turkey and the TRNC are not

not strictly true the whole of Cyprus was granted membership of the eu... the TRNC however is suspended pending either the agreement of the Greek Cypriot government or the formation of some form of Federal government for the whole island
The Green Line is now a de-facto external EU border and as such anyone with a valid EU passport can cross either way.

The sooner the whole lot has gone and I can enjoy a Keo in Kyrenia and an Efes in Paphos, the better....although on past history the beer will be quite well matured by then!

Still hoping to walk down Ledra Street this June though.

Dave
According to todays news - both sides are hoping to have the Ledra Street wall down within the next 2 weeks so you will soon be able to walk the length of the street very soon....

See the online newspaper: http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/

CwB
Yes, so I see.
Maybe common sense is starting to prevail at last!
You can now walk through on Ledra street. We went through on Saturday!
Yes, it was opened a couple of weeks ago, and I'll take great delight in walking through in June.

Although I see that one or two people are now complaining that the Green Line was a tourist attraction!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.