Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi Ron

Sorry you have had a rough time of it but from what you have written my personal view is you are trying to blame somebody and the rep is the easy target.

I would have thought that a holiday rep would have little or no control over their customers

A reps primary roll is to sell your over priced tours on behalf of their employer, their secondary task is to assist the holiday maker in getting from the airport to the hotel they have chosen, perhaps liaise with the hotel on your behalf if you picked a bad one and try to make sure you get back to the airport on time.

They are not people with super powers, they do not have any special authority over you, their other customers or any body who works at the hotel, if there is at language barrier and you ask nicely they might intervene and discuss any problems with the people involved and try to smooth things out but only because they want to remain your friend and you still might buy a tour off them.

They are certainly not your guardian angel to watch over you for two or three weeks.

They cannot even force you to take your flight home if you decide you don't want to go.
meagain have i wrote what happened?
you make a statement that its easy to blame the rep etc
you do not know what occured
im making a assumption like you have, that you are connected to the holiday business or even been a rep
i asked, what problems other people had faced, and what help or no help they had receieved from the holiday company
are you on a wind up?
HI Ron

No, I am not a wind up.

Yes, you did write what happened, in the headlines infact.

Re: guests causing problems and the inaction of holiday reps

It is sad that you had a spoilt holiday and I did not mean to upset you by pointing out what I thought a tour reps job was and was not.

I do not intend to get in an arguement with you but I can't understand, if you could not sort out the problem why did you think the reps could or had any authority over the other guests to do so. Do you think it is part of their job description to sort out problems beween holiday makers?

I am retired living the good life in Goa ,the UK and anywhere else, have nothing to do with or ever been associated with the travel industry other than as a customer and not always a happy one!
Can't help you ron, but think it might be a good idea , to ask on the Holiday Complaints thread.
x lassi
Hi Ron
I'm sorry to hear that your holiday was spoiled.

I agree with Lassiegirl re posting on the Complaints forum, it's really a generic holiday issue that you seem to have rather than a specific one to Goa.

Obviously you've not given sufficient information for me to comment on what happened but maybe it would depend if the holidaymakers making trouble were with the same holiday company as you.
I've been in a hotel where some people were making excessive noise very late at night and the rep warned them and as they continued to make noise (I think they were throwing sun beds into the pool) he then turfed them out of the hotel to find alternative accommodation at their own expense.
This was a couple of years ago in a small A/I hotel in Mexico, the trouble was caused by young British louts.

Of course, if it was acommodation used by lots of Tour Operators and maybe other nationalities it would be more difficult for your rep to deal with.

Did you personally speak to the manager of the hotel about whatever issue you had or did you just take it up with your rep?

Unlike Meagain, I think part of the role of a holiday rep is to try to ensure his/her clients enjoy their holiday (and to sort out any urgent issues, such as accidents and maybe even arranging urgent flights home).

Good luck
I agree with PPC above. You pay your hard earned cash to the holiday company, and they pass on a pittance to the hotel. Therefore they are morally and I suspect, legally responsible for providing "satisfactory goods". They are certainly who you would go to for compensation if your holiday was unsatisfactory.
Whilst I would accept that most reps are undertrained, underpaid, and definitely under-motivated, they are still the Company's Representative (hence "rep") and have a duty to ensure whenever possible that you have a good holiday. If that involves acting as an intermediary in a dispute between holidaymakers, I see no problem, all part and parcel of the job, and if they did not fulfil that task, then a complaint to the Company would be appropriate, surely.
I am sure, Ron, that you feel mistreated on the forum but please, if you can, give us some more detail as any of us could encounter this situation in the future. Unlike the OP, I do not think you told us what happened before, you simply defined the problem at the most.
100 % bang on the money that Johnny, this years Cosmos rep took on the incarnation of a envelope stuffed with discount vouchers for jewellers and restaurants along with overpriced excursion details ...... Oh and a phone number for someone called Sanjay :cheers
meagain wrote:
HI Ron

No, I am not a wind up.

Yes, you did write what happened, in the headlines infact.

Re: guests causing problems and the inaction of holiday reps

It is sad that you had a spoilt holiday and I did not mean to upset you by pointing out what I thought a tour reps job was and was not.

I do not intend to get in an arguement with you but I can't understand, if you could not sort out the problem why did you think the reps could or had any authority over the other guests to do so. Do you think it is part of their job description to sort out problems beween holiday makers?

I am retired living the good life in Goa ,the UK and anywhere else, have nothing to do with or ever been associated with the travel industry other than as a customer and not always a happy one!
meagain wrote:
HI Ron

meagain ,stop splitting hairs .did i say what actually happened.
your on a wind up.did you get the idea of your name from a harry enfield character by any chance?
im glad to hear you live the good life.very nice.
Prettypollycat wrote:

Obviously you've not given sufficient information for me to comment on what happened but maybe it would depend if the holidaymakers making trouble were with the same holiday company as you.

no the person concerned was with another tour company

Did you personally speak to the manager of the hotel about whatever issue you had or did you just take it up with your rep?

i did speak to the manager, he certainly knew all about it. as the person assaulted him and his assistant manager and accused various staff of stealing money etc from them.
he wanted to throw the guest out but basically his contract with the travel co.prevented him from doing so as the person involved had to have at least one warning before any action could be taken.
the incident with me occured after the manager and assistant were assaulted etc
i did take up my problem with the persons rep and my own.this was a few days after it happened as i was to ill to do anything.my incident involving me occured the night before the person was leaving in front of the rep who when i spoke to her later basically said well theyve left now. shame ive had to suffer back spasms ,a prolasped disc and having to get the dr out plus also losing a week of my holiday. i say holiday its not a holiday as i go to goa to ease my chronic back problems
As it appears violence was used, IMO it was a matter for the police to deal with never mind anyone else.
I am sorry you had problems on holiday.

I agree with DaveWales. If the other guest was that much of a problem, I would have thought the hotel manager would have called the police especially as that guest had assaulted other guests. The hotel manager must have really been worried that he would lose his contract.
I would say here that any hope of involving the police in this matter would be doomed to failure from the start. It's noticable that the staff involved, chose not to go down that road. The Goan Police have shown in the past to have an aversion to getting involved in matters relating to foreign tourists, as was demonstrated in a recent high profile case Alan
sydney wrote:
The hotel manager must have really been worried that he would lose his contract.

thats the answer what with the state of the worlds economy.
i know the holiday co involved have already cut back on there rooms for next season at the hotel and in fact the manager will be laying staff off in may as he has virtually no bookings.
still ive already booked for next year with the holiday co involved.wonder if it will be the same rep :whoops
ron_watford wrote:
still ive already booked for next year with the holiday co involved.wonder if it will be the same rep
sydney wrote:
The hotel manager must have really been worried that he would lose his contract.

thats the answer what with the state of the worlds economy.
i know the holiday co involved have already cut back on there rooms for next season at the hotel and in fact the manager will be laying staff off in may as he has virtually no bookings.
still ive already booked for next year with the holiday co involved.wonder if it will be the same rep :whoops
Alan Gramps.... the police didn't seem to have any reluctance to arrest and jail an HT forum member on an alleged assault as he reported on here a couple of months ago !
That just makes my point, once you involve Goas finest, it's anyones guess where it will go from there. I would be very reluctant to get involved with this so called police force in any circumstance. In the case you mention, as I have heard only one version of events, I would not wish to pass any comment at all. Alan
hi ron
my daughter was a rep for many years(and a good one)she had many bad situations to deal with,and always went the extra mile to help her guests in any way she could,i read your posting to her,she said that although she wouldn`t have gotten involved on a personal level with a violent guest,she would have at the very least advised,spoken to hotel management or police,to see if possible to have the offender removed from the hotel which she had to do on several occasions,sorry you had a miserable time
debs16 wrote:
hi ron
she would have at the very least advised,spoken to hotel management or police,to see if possible to have the offender removed from the hotel which she had to do on several occasions,sorry you had a miserable time

the guest wasnt violent to me only the hotel staff and another guest.
i received verbal abuse and threats to my safety
it may seem strange to some but stress will set my back off into spasm and this has led to my disc problems.
hotel management wanted to remove the guest but there contract with the holiday company says that a warning has to be issued about the guests behaviour first before any guest can be removed.
basically the holiday companys are running the hotel and not the hotel management.And in the present climate they are scared to lose any business
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.