Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi again PinkGlow - you are planning on getting around arn't you ! Gozo and the hypogeum are two of the must dos in Malta

the hypogeum is one of the most amazing places I have visited - they only let in 70 odd people a day to control the atmosphere, so its difficult to get tickets. For most tourists, unless you are in Malta for three weeks, its nearly impossible to get tickets unless you book before you arrive - I presume you are looking at booking directly ? otherwise, how much are you being quoted for a tour ? the official website is http://www.heritagemalta.org/hypogeum.html, with booking at http://www.heritagemaltashop.com/hm/hist_site.aspx

Also good for info is http://web.infinito.it/utenti/m/malta_mega_temples/hypo/hypo.html
Whereabouts is the Hypogeum - is it possible to get to by bus or is a car/taxi easier?

Oh, and that HeritageMalta site is fab! :D - giving me lots of ideas for our holiday in July
Hi Linnyann

How to get there depends where you are starting from, but its in Paola - http://www.atp.com.mt/summer_routes.html gives the bus routes - from Valletta buses 29 and 30, plus others will pass close by. Car parking can be difficult near the hypogeum, but no worse than alot of Malta !
Gozomark - many thanks :yipee We're staying in St Pauls Bay so it's an easy bus ride to Valletta.
Thanks for that - thats confirmed what the guide book said so ill be going.

Those weblinks were how I was going to pre-order the tickets, we staying in Mellieha bay so were proberly hire a car for a couple of days to see places like that.

Cheers again
pleasure to help - anything else, just ask !

PinkGlow - if you were only going to the hypogeum, from Mellieha its easy by bus - to Valletta, then change to Paola, and not much longer than driving, esp as less chance of getting lost !. Driving in Malta is an experience (Gozo is much better !), but if you were going elsewhere - eg Mdina, some of the other temples for example then quicker with a car. Please let me know how it goes ordering on-line as its new and I havn't tried it. Before you could only buy tickets at the hypogeum itself (unless you were lucky enough to live in Gozo like me, and then they would reserve tickets over the phone)

Linnyann - similar really, St Pauls Bay is only a little closer to Valletta than Mellieha Bay
Thanks Gozomark - we've been to Malta (and St Pauls Bay) before, so have experience of the buses! Was thinking of trying to book the Hypogeum for the morning and then going back to Valletta and visiting the Museum of Archaeology. I'm also keen to see the Tarxien Temples, but think that trying to do both the Hypogeum and Tarxien in one day might just temple us out for the rest of the holiday! :lol:

And if anyone visits Haqar Qim then be sure and have a Maltese pizza - 1 between 2 if more than sufficient with a side helping of chips!!
the Tarxien temple is very close to the hypogeum (about 500 metres), and 1 hour would do to look around easily, and if you can manage it, seeing both, then the Museum of Archaeology is the best order. The two are so different that they are both worth experiencing, and to go back another day from St Pauls would mean alot of travelling for only 1 hour.
well I was thinking of going the same day as the blue grotto, going to the grotto first then swinging by the hypogeum before heading back - so going in a big circle
oh yes, if you want something like the blue grotto, I would recommend going to the blue lagoon at Comino, and taking a boat tour around Comino - in June is still fairly quiet, but even so, the earlier in the day the better !
Hi Gozomark - ok, Hypogeum and Tarxien temples, followed by the Archaeology Museum it is! Might have to stop off for a cisk halfway through though! :lol:

Will also be doing (again) the Blue Grotto - we've always gone in the afternoon before but have been told to go as early in the morning as we can (as long as the sea is calm!) as the sun is particularly striking in the caves then and the sea is at its bluest. A dip in the sea will certainly follow.
Hi, the Hypogeum is a must for visitors to Malta who are in to that kind of thing, we have been twice now and it is still quite mindblowing, here is the personal e-mail address for anyone interested in making a reservation joseph.h.farrugia@gov.mt

Regards
Sliema2
Hi Sleima2

don't know if you are aware, but you can now book tickets on-line for the hypogeum (see my earlier reply on this post)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.