Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hampi
26 Posts
Hi preacher we went to Hampi in march last year yes it was hot but ok, Hampi is really fantastic well worth the trip colleen and I are even contemplating going again maybe next year,but my advice is book it with johns boat tours they used a good hotel the Malligi( I know the spellings wrong)Daytrippers used a hotel that got bad reviews it began with a P again sorry cant remember the name,but before you book check john boat tours still use the malligi they had a lovely roof top restaurant,I should have said the hotel was in Hospet near Hampi Hospet is a bit dirty and grimey but the people where friendly,the train journey was great met all sorts on the train including clappy clappies (ladyboys)and a group of young boys who had travelled for three days because they had joined the army it was a great experience :) ,if you need anymore info let me know.slan
Cheers Slan

Thanks for the info we will give it a go. When will you be in Goa next year, would be nice to see you and Colleen again.

Regards
The Preacher
Sorry if I'm :offtop but does anyone know email address for John,s boat trips Candolim.

Thanks
The Preacher
Hi Preacher we are back again for 6 weeks from early Feb to late March maybe we could have a beer ...can I add something to what hubby has said if I were to go again we will deffo upgrade at the hotel that part of the hotel is much nicer they have a glass lift very swanky and much nicer rooms :rofl colleen
Hi Irishcolleen
It would be great to have a beer or 3 with you both. Do you intend staying a the Silver Sands again, you say you willl be upgrading, we will be down grading, but I much prefer J.Js. location to that of the Santana, as it is that bit more central. I will be in touch nearer the time, and we can arrange a meet somewhere, we will be with the wife,s sister, and her husband........288 days to go for us. :cheers :cheers .

The Preacher
Hi preacher I think colleen means if you stay at the mallaggi in Hospet to upgrade :rofl but wait till you get there its cheaper,next year we are DIY flying with Qatar and booked a private apartment for 6 weeks so hope to see you there.slan :wave:
Slan
:whoops, Typical me, :duh after reading Colleen,s message again it,s clear enough what she meant, I,ve had look at the Malligi website, and indeed it does look a nice place. Anyway thanks again see you in Feb.

The Preacher
http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/4eab7/10bfe1/
Bit of info here, tho' maybe aimed at a more DIY trip approach.
Noting against the organised 3 day tours, but for me, it's the time scale and the fact the stay is in Hospet rather than Hampi bazaar.
Wonderful place, you will enjoy.
Eddie.
We love the Hampi trip, we've been 4 times and although we've booked with different companies (Jewel in the Crown, Cosmos and John's Boat Tours x 2) we have ended up going with Melo Tours.
Everyone joins up at Margao Station, after being collected from your various hotels.
Melo Tours provide a guide who stays with you all the time.

It is, however, very tiring with VERY early starts on all 3 days.

One thing that disappointed us last time we went (Nov 2010) was that you couldn't go into the Vittala Temple (the one with the musical pillars) because of damage caused by the last monsoon.

It was so bad that we thought it might have been caused by an earhquake. some of the roof had fallen in and parts of it were shored up by scaffolding. Other buildings in that same area had also been damaged.

On the occasions we've been we had the same guide, he was actually one of the archeologists working on the site (which is vast) for a number of years. He was very knowledgable, interesting and entertaining.

The hotel we've always stayed in is the Hotel Priyadarshani (Priyadarshini), Station Road, Hospet.
This was the case in Nov 2010 when we booked with John's Boat Tours (and may be the hotel referred to by Irishman) so do check before you book.
It seemed much better than in previous years.
As they serve alcohol (I believe a lot of the hotels in Hospet don't), the restaurant gets very busy in the evening with locals. Consequently, the service can be very slow.

The train journey is good fun.
One of the stops is at Hubli, there's a good 20 minute stop. There used to be some little carts that do fresh omelettes which are delicious, wrapped in newspaper but they weren't there in November.
They also hose down & empty the toilets at Hubli so just after you set off again is a good time to pop to the loo (not so smelly).

We just walked into the office in Candolim & booked.
Thanks Eddie101, and Prettypollycat

It sure sounds interesting will be giving it a go sometime in Feb.

The Preacher
Hampi is an amazing trip, well worth the long train journey and the early morning starts to catch the sunrise.
But I really have to say - back in 2008 when I went, I found the Hotel Priyadarshini absolutely ghastly. I posted photographs of the cockroaches and disgusting filth in a review on the TA website. Bloodstained sheets, waiters fist fighting in the bar, a truly horrible experience.
I used Thomson for the trip, and they agreed about the hotel problems to extent that they refunded me, AND they told me that they now specify to their trip providers that this hotel is NOT to be used.
I've heard good stories about other hotels in Hospet, and I'm going back to Hampi in January 2012
- but very definitely NOT to the Priyadarshini hotel.
can anyone recommend any similar length trips by train

Another great train excursion from Goa is the 5 hour trip down to Udupi, with the 4wd excursion into Karnataka to see the tigers. This is a 2 night one also, and you get to actually be within 10 feet of wild tigers. I did it in 2009.
Comment from the guy driving the steel caged bus :-
" I open door, you get good photo, but if tiger come please close door quick"
:yikes
The hotel in Udupi was really excellent and the whole trip was great value for money.
Thanks for the P.M. ukbill :tup
Agree that Hampi is a great trip and worth the hassle. Beware of the mosquitoes - there are millions of them up there. Take plenty of repellant.

I also agree that you should stay in the Malighi - their suites are really good. We spent one night in a truly dreadful hotel in Hospet. It was so bad that I've tried to erase all memory of it from my mind and I can't remember its name - without doubt the worst hotel I've ever stayed in - by a mile. Filth, cockroaches, dodgy staff......OMG it was appalling! There aren't many good hotels in Hospet so it's important to be sure you've got the right place.

Don't let this put you off though. Hampi is magical.
how much for hampi trip
how much for hampi trip

Dawn1511
When we were in Candolim in Feb. it was around £40 pp, from John.s Boat Trips, but I think that would be using the hotel a number of people have complained about, No idea how much upgrade to the Malligi Hotel is.

The Preacher
Hi preacher and dawn when we booked with johns boat tours it was the Malligi hotel they used and as roma says the suites was great but johns boat tours books you a basic room but just upgrade when you get there,last time I looked johns boat tours trip was about £49 imo well worth it,but always ask what hotel they use before you book as the may well change and as I said hospet is a bit of a dump but then you dont go to see hospet.slan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.