America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Don't all rush at once!!!!!!! :rofl

I'm guessing that is a no then? Not to worry, I have a good idea of what there is to see and do anyway but just wanted to hear from someone who had actually visited.
Places to visit?

The Hershey chocholate museum and theme park
Amish Country, like in the Tom Cruise film
Make sure you drive over one of those rickety bridges with a shed on top... :tup

A few days here then move on, perhaps...
I've only been to the airport and never had enough time to go downtown, but if I did I would take the Tipplers Tour ( historical walking tour combined with visits to taverns) and also ride the Ducks.
All the US historical sites, Liberty Bell etc are probably already on your list, but the things I mentioned seem like a fun addition.
Definitely worth a closer look!

In town, the main sites are just about walkable, but you might enjoy taking the DUKWs tour which covers some of the land sites (at great speed) and then goes into the river itself.

There is a ticket office near the Liberty Bell museum which is also a visitor centre .... you should think carefully about your timings as the visits to the Liberty Bell and the former Parliament building (sorry can't remember its official name) are timed, and timings are adhered to strictly.

There is a trolley bus tour that will take you to the far end of the main street - good for museums. I believe that there is an excellent children's hands-on museum, but we didn't have time to do it. There is a massive food court in the Amtrak train station building/complex, and plenty of nicer places too!

If you are heading out to 'Amish' country, you should try to allow at least 2 days just to hang around. The main centres are Redding, Strasburg (sp?!) and Intercourse (too late, all the jokes have been made!!). Apart from visiting the farmers' markets, there is a great Amish 'museum'/reconstruction (I believe it is near Bird-in-Hand) that is worth visiting to get a close up view of how the Amish live. You can see signs of Amish life all around - not necessarily the horse and buggy transport - but also the large windmills for power generation (supplemented by petrol generators) on farms, and the lack of power cables and phone lines. You may still see the 'phone boxes' on the edge of a property, as it was considered to be against Amish ways to let this 'convenience' control your way of life. There is an excellent book shop called The People's Place in Intercourse - the owner is not actually Amish but has lived amongst them for many years and will be happy to answer your questions. It is not considered polite to photograph the Amish or ask them questions about their way of life. Obviously most people will have seen Witness and will perhaps base their knowledge of Amish life on that, but the film is quite 'sensationalist', and the Amish have a dignity of life that many of us lack.
Thanks for all the replies.

I sat down in Borders yesterday and read through a travel book and it certainly looks as though it is a city I would enjoy. I am thinking of doing it as a twin with another city, with New York being the obvious choice (haven't been since 2000) but I am also looking at combining with Charleston SC, but flight prices are horrendous from Philly to Charleston.

At the same time I have no problem with just heading to Philadelphia, there certainly looks as though there is plenty to keep us both occupied for a number of days.

Thanks again. :tup
I'd be interested in info on Philadelphia too.

We have passed through many times, but never had a stopover there. I was sorely tempted in May this year, but I think, looking at the weather stats, it may not be suitable for a winter break unless you like the COLD!!!!!
it may not be suitable for a winter break unless you like the COLD!!!!!

Very true, although we've been to Boston in November and Washington D.C. just after Christmas so we are quite used to the cool weather on the East Coast at this time of the year.

I think Philly is a nailed on to be honest. I'd like to combine it with somewhere else and split it across a week or 8 days, New York is perhaps too obvious, DC we've done, Boston also, maybe Charleston in South Carolina although that isn't very close. Who knows, we might even take in America's Playground (no, not Vegas, that was Clooney getting it wrong in Oceans 11), I mean Atlantic City but I've been put off thus far by the thought of blue rinse cauliflower heads!!!! :tup
Why not travel between your cities by Amtrak (rail)? You will get to see a lot of the US in comfort, there is no hassle with security and luggage and if you book roomette class for any overnights, the meals are free, and are acceptable!!

http://www.amtrak.com will help with planning your trip, and, having crossed America by train a few years ago, I can heartily recommend it.
Like others, I have only been to Philadelphia for a connecting flight at the airport. However, I did spend a total of 3 weeks in Pennsylvania (though more western and central PA) about ten years ago. I would also recommend the Hershey chocolate factory. I found Gettysburg to be very interesting too. Niagara Falls is within driving distance too...I think, anyway. I never got around to going. I just remember it was supposed to be within driving distance. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.