General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
i've not had my holiday yet go on the 22/08/09 but am worried that me or one of my family will catch it and won't be able to go.
i know of 5 people who have had swine flu now, a collegue who works for my company but that i only see very rarely, a clients daughter and 3 children from my daughters school (thank goodness they break up tomorrow) if i have got to get it i want it soon so i can still go on holiday or when i get home but rather not atall. :(
My concern is does your insurance cover you? Read somewhere that is some cases it may not.

Sorry to introduce such a concern but on the basis of current reports about the spread of swine flu, just as we move into the main holiday period, are we going to see lots of complaints that the insurance company will not pay out?

Elsewhere on HT we have read of how people were not covered when they thought they were is this to be another area of concern?

You don't know if you have been exposed to the flue until you actually get it. With insurance it is just the same, people do not find out until they try to claim.

fwh
I was thinking of booking a long weekend at August Bank Holiday, probably to Lanzarote or Menorca - it's the only time I can get away - but I'm concerned about where I would stand if I got swine flu and couldn't travel. Insurance only pays out if you have a doctor's certificate saying you can't travel, and now they're telling us not to go to the doctor's with swine flu, so how would you stand with that one?
:shrug
its very tricky isnt it,hopefully we may get some answers on here about insurers and if they will pay out.its probably best to phone them and check this out.im worried as my mom flys tommorow up to now all ok so fingers crossed for you all
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/travel/5835151/Swine-flu-travel-insurance-will-cover-you-says-ABI.html

Somehow, I don't quite believe that.
Best to check your policy and get in touch with your Insurance supplier ......Genarally speaking, these people are quick at taking money, but try and look for every trick in the book to not pay out.
I've heard something too about people at airports looking out for people with coughs and sniffs. I wouldn't be very pleased to be told I couldn't go away by them just looking at me! Surely it would take a while to get any results back!!!
Have a look here swine flu travel advice

Main thing is to check that your travel insurance carries the cancellation clause and that you bought your insurance BEFORE you got swine flu.
Martin Lewis was on GMTV this morning with advice about travel insurance HERE and some specific advice about making a claim if you don't have confirmation from a doctor HERE. Still very worrying though - I'm reluctant to book my weekend break now, even though it's not a huge amount of money, I would be very annoyed if I didn't get it back!
just got an e-mail from my anual insurance providers

it goes
Don't worry, if you've already bought travel insurance you will be covered for cancellation if you are diagnosed with swine flu and can't travel.

result
and I've checked mine. There's nothing in the small print about being exempt due to a pandemic. Only exclusions are if I'm travelling with a pre-existing medical condition. It looks as though I'm covered. Hope to goodness, I don't catch it though. With only 2 weeks to the off, I'm becoming a bit paranoid about catching it. I've been sneezing a fair bit over the past few days but I'm putting that down to cleaning the dusty house :really
There's another side to this problem. It's possible that an airline will have so many crews off they can't run all the flights. Luckily (if that's the right word) that situation probably wouldn't be reached until autumn so the peak summer should be safe.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.