Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi Shirley I have sent you a PM with a full list that you can compare dates, here are the comparisons for last year and this year.

15.01.2009 £1 = 1.10260 Euro

15.01.2010 £1 = 1.1230 Euro

Average (380 days): 1.12281
High: 1.19040
Low: 1.02130

So there is very little difference I am afraid :(

Graham
Let's hope it picks up before I goto Kephalonia in August ;)
Cant believe I'm saying this but I dont think we will visit Greece this year due to the euro. Went to Lefkas last year and it was VERY expensive. Cant justify a repeat of that experience so contrary to what I've always said (I'd rather pay extra and go somewhere I want to go) looks like we might be going to Turkey :( .
Didn't go to Greece last year - went to Dom Rep instead. We really enjoyed, but it wasn't Greece. So this year we're giving Kephalonia a try, but we might have to adapt our holiday to the cash we've got :think
Dear All,

Having not been to Greece since 2005, I was expecting last years trip to Stoupa to be really expensive.

HOWEVER........even with the exchange rate being 1.10 Euro to the pound (compared to 1.40 in 2005) we were pleasantly suprised. It turned out that the prices in Stoupa worked out to be cheaper than what we paid in 2005 in Skiathos.

This I think shows that Islands in general are very much more expensive than the mainland. If you want a great holiday I would easily recommend Stoupa as a Greek destination.

Kindest regards.

Rhombus.
We have visited Stoupa twice and found prices very good. A litre of wine 5 euros. That was two years ago. Skiathos is very expensive now. We also found Elounda Crete to be quite reasonable too
hi all ...we were in pefkos rhodes last august...eating out was a lot less expensive than I expected...we loved the open air resturants along the main street....there was one offering 3 course meal and wine for 12 euros where we went 4 times and the meals and service were excelant.....could get beer 2 euros for happy hour which lasted all day till about 9.30....I was surprised as thought it would be very expensive....tweetie
had holidays in 2009 but not to Greece, nothing to do with the euro as pre-booked, but actually felt guilty at missing Greece AND missed being there. been going to Greece for last ???? years and love it, love the people, love the food and love the whole experience so we're back there this year. booked DIY. flying to Crete with Thomas Cook and home with squeezy jet at reasonable prices. got some accomodation in Crete for one night and flying cat to Santorini. Accomodation in santorini a bit pricey but wanted to go there for years. ferry to Karpathos 25 euros each and looking at accomodation there about 40 euros per night per room which I don't think is bad then looking at accomodation in Agia Pelagia on Crete about 35 -40 euros per night per room. Still think we can a have a reasonably priced holiday, albeit for almost a month, and can't wait!!
Just got some euros for a trip to Spain next week and got 1.13 and it seems to be on the up a bit so who knows what it will be like in summer. let's keep optimistic.
We have been going to greece for 15 years now and often twice a year.We went to the dom rep last year for a week and much better value for money.We have just returned from mexico and don't think will be going to greece again unless the euro picks up to at least 1.50.The greeks keep putting the prices up although not very much and wonder why the numbers are falling.
As bejay stated 5 euro's for a litre bottle of house wine...2 years ago. Same price in 2009. Sunbeds (x2) + Umbrella....5 Euro's...thats cheaper than Skiathos 5 years ago (8 Euro's). OK the exchange is different BUT the Greeks have not inflated there prices.
Another example is the lack of choice of holidays on some Islands...for example Lesbos. Many of the tour operators have pulled out. From talking with locals, the tour companies year on year try and squeeze the owners of apartments...offering them lower and lower rates for their accomadation. They decline and try to go independent. A friend of mine has given up independent travel due to the airlines cutting the number of flights, BUT most importantly INCREASING THEIR PRICES. So please do not blame the Greeks for increasing their prices.
Hi Rhombus. That might be true about a few places in Greece but we went to Lefkas last year and found it very expensive. We stayed in Nidri where, in our opinion, the majority of bar owners were only interested in what they could squeeze out of you. Didn't find them particularly friendly. In fact, we used to joke that most of them would have been happy to tip you upside down to empty your pockets without a doubt. We have looked at Greece again this year but where we would like to go, villa in Corfu and a few days in Parga, was very expensive. Our friends, who we are holidaying with this year, where in Corfu last year and they said it was expensive but we were prepared to give it a go. In the end, we have booked flights for 5 of us to Majorca for 12 nights at just under £150 pounds each for daytime flights from East Midlands. The flight prices for Greece and Turkey were double :( .
don't forget Easy jet do flights to Crete and Thessaloníki from some airports

yasus
wizard
So sorry Graham,
I've just noticed that I haven't thanked you for the detailed info you supplied. Better late than never - a big THANK YOU!!
my flights to Crete were disjointed because I had booke to go to Santorini with Olympic - that went belly up.
flying out Thomas Cook £ 150 each ( could've got better deal if I'd been able to book earlier
home easy jet £ 46 each.
I don't consider that bad and look at what we could have got if I'd have been clairvoyant and seen Olympic's demise.
Anyone wanting a good low-key holiday should try Kos ... not the town though, give Mastihari a whirl, beautiful clean, safe, sandy beach. If you prefer a pool there's the lovely half time bar situated at opposite end of village which not only has a fab pool complete with kids splash pool but it serves up good cheap snacks which means you dont have to stir too far from your sun lounger.
Loungers / parasols are free, whole place is spotless, service always friendly.
In Mastihari there's lots of good quality, reasonably priced places to dine. Supermarkets are good value especially the big one called Constantino.
Also KEFALOS is great value for money, couldn't believe how cheap it was to eat and drink there last year .... huge cooked breakfast, all the usual plus eggy bread, coffee, fruit juice and mounds of toast all for 6 euro .... so much we didn't need to eat again until evening! Mythos for 1.5 euro, milkshakes to die for at 3 euro. The beach isn't brilliant but plenty of pools you can use also bus drops you off at various beaches so it's not a problem. Kefalos is like stepping back in time, no mod shops, no water parks ... Greece as it used to be .... I love it and would recomend it to anyone who wants to chill out and recharge their batteries and not spend a fortune doing so. :sun2
Hi madm0mma,

Thanks for the info regarding Kos. Maybe the mods could move it to a more relevant thread in the Greece forum where I'm sure lots more people will see it.
Sterling is picking up nicely against the Euro again, the uptrend may continue but plenty of resistance around .84 EUR/GBP (1.19 GBP/EUR) but who knows... damn markets!

Either way, I have topped up a few 100€ on my card at 1.17 this morning and will add more if it breaches 1.19. I'm not going away until August but i don't mind adding if the rates not bad.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.